PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping laptop

w.daly
17th June 2007, 10:24 AM
Hi
I have a laptop (MacBook) connected to an external monitor. I have an external keyboard and mouse as well.
I have to keep it partially opened to stop it going to sleep otherwise I lose the signal to the monitor. I keep on accidentally closing it. Is there a way to have the laptop connected but be able to fully close the lid without losing the signal to the monitor?? Can you turn off the sleep mode??

Dales.

hawker
17th June 2007, 10:27 AM
Hey,

You should be right to close the lid (if the monitor loses display and the system goes to sleep) use your external keyboard (I'm guessing it's USB) and hit a key and it will wake the machine up.

If that doesn't work, close the lid on the machine, let it sleep, then plug in the external display, and it should (I said should) wake itself up!

w.daly
17th June 2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I also found this in another thread from Wheels dated 2 Mar 07

"Closing the screen on a Apple laptop these days is completely safe - I remember W2ttsy posted information about this in a thread a while ago.

Regarding it not sleeping - make sure it is is plugged into AC power and connect a USB mouse. After you close the screen, click the mouse to wake the computer and it will now stay awake with the screen closed. Note this will ONLY work if it is plugged into AC power. You don't, however, need to have it plugged into an external display."

So I tried closing - sleeping - mouse click and it worked!!

I have to get used to doing a forum search for previous threads before I post as there does appear to be lots of useful information available.

Thanks again for your reply.