PDA

View Full Version : Buying off eBay

PBLK
16th June 2007, 01:04 PM
Is there anything to look out for when buying a mac of ebay? I'm thinking of upgrading to a MacBook Pro from my Powerbook later this year and the prices on eBay are quite attractive. I paid full price from a reseller for my Powerbook in 2005 and thought a second-hand mac might be a better option next time.

natakim
16th June 2007, 01:06 PM
there are a couple for sale here.

Disko
16th June 2007, 01:10 PM
there are a couple for sale here.

... which he won't have access to for at least two months.

natakim
16th June 2007, 01:11 PM
... which he won't have access to for at least two months.

ops, my bad (read the rules idiot):o sorry.

jubilantjeremy
16th June 2007, 01:12 PM
Is there anything to look out for when buying a mac of ebay?

Everything!

I'm an ebay noob too. I got stuffed around with my first ever ebay.. purchase.. because I thought a feedback rating of 98.5% was good - turns out not if you have 4000 feedback comments..! That's like, 60 people who left negative feedback. And I was one of them :)

- Jeremy

dolbinau
16th June 2007, 01:17 PM
Jeremy, can you please share your story :P?

rtc
16th June 2007, 01:18 PM
The usual "look out for" s when buying anything off ebay.

I have my own ranking system (which i invented just now for the purpose of this post):

Something without an original photo (a stock or promo photo from the apple website doesn't count) gets 10 points for dodginess.

Any user requesting bank transfer gets 50 points for dodginess.

Anywhere international gets 20 points for dodginess. Asia gets 10 more bonus points. Hong kong or singapore get 10 additional bonus points each on top of the oringinal bonus points.

Anywhere with low or negative feedback gets 15 points for dodginess.

Anywhere with 100% positive feedback (or close to) that is represented by heaps and heaps of entries that all sound simlar (e.g. "AAAAAA++++ seller. Prompt delivery. Easy payment. Recommended to anyone!!!!! Very great ebayer!! A+!!") gets 30 points for dodginess.

Anywhere that's been registered for less than 3 months gets 10 dodginess points.

Anywhere that's changed user names before gets 35 dodginess points.

Try to buy from people with little or no dodginess points.

100+ dodginess points is definitely a no-go.

areal
16th June 2007, 01:21 PM
Take a look at the Computer Trader (http://comtrader.com.au/) if you want to be able speak to or meet the seller before any sale. Alternatively, look out for clearances at Apple resellers in Melbourne. MacBook Pros seem to be discounted more than other models.

As for eBay, contacting the seller is always a good start. Also, watch the listings for a while to watch for pictures and descriptions that are repeated. When you do see something that looks good, check the serial number of the machine at Apple support (http://www.apple.com/support) and check the specs with those at Low End Mac (http://lowendmac.com/profiles.htm) to see if anything is missing or incorrect. And, of course, pick up the computer and pay in person in possible, though the drive to Melbourne might eat away some of the savings gained by buying second hand.

purana
16th June 2007, 01:30 PM
My wife have sold our used systems on ebay numerous times, and just recently her macbook pro 2.0, unfortunately the buyer hasn't left me my feedback rating, and seriously that pisses me off.

I think you should ask as much questions as possible so you feel confident with the purchase, not to mention opt to buy from someone in your same area or district, so you can atleast arrange to pick it up and purchase it on the spot when you win. More likely not to be ripped off when in person.

grfxninja
16th June 2007, 01:38 PM
Something without an original photo (a stock or promo photo from the apple website doesn't count) gets 10 points for dodginess.

I strongly agree with this point. If the person can't be arsed taking a photo of the item, then I seriously wonder if they even have said item.

I think "Drop Shipping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_shipping)" sucks which is what a lot of sellers do these days

PBLK
16th June 2007, 01:39 PM
Take a look at the Computer Trader (http://comtrader.com.au/) if you want to be able speak to or meet the seller before any sale. Alternatively, look out for clearances at Apple resellers in Melbourne. MacBook Pros seem to be discounted more than other models.

As for eBay, contacting the seller is always a good start. Also, watch the listings for a while to watch for pictures and descriptions that are repeated. When you do see something that looks good, check the serial number of the machine at Apple support (http://www.apple.com/support) and check the specs with those at Low End Mac (http://lowendmac.com/profiles.htm) to see if anything is missing or incorrect. And, of course, pick up the computer and pay in person in possible, though the drive to Melbourne might eat away some of the savings gained by buying second hand.

Thanks, very helpful.

PBLK
16th June 2007, 01:40 PM

I have my own ranking system (which i invented just now for the purpose of this post):

Anywhere international gets 20 points for dodginess. Asia gets 10 more bonus points. Hong kong or singapore get 10 additional bonus points each on top of the oringinal bonus points.

Anywhere with 100% positive feedback (or close to) that is represented by heaps and heaps of entries that all sound simlar (e.g. "AAAAAA++++ seller. Prompt delivery. Easy payment. Recommended to anyone!!!!! Very great ebayer!! A+!!") gets 30 points for dodginess.

Anywhere that's been registered for less than 3 months gets 10 dodginess points.

This should come in handy..

mjankor
16th June 2007, 01:41 PM

Brilliant. I love it.

PBLK
16th June 2007, 01:41 PM
Isn't there some way you can pay with Australia Post, where you pay for the item when you pick it up from the post office; Pay on delivery or something like that.

kim jong il
16th June 2007, 01:46 PM
Earlier this year an MTAU member bought an iMac that didn't have a logic board while a few years ago some lucky person paid for a computer and recieved just the box (on close inspection it was apparent that it was only the box for sale). For example: Macbook Pro box in excellent condition is not the same as MacBook Pro, box in excellent condition.

My advice is: read the ads very closely and on expensive items make sure you can pick it up in person.

grfxninja
16th June 2007, 01:52 PM
For example: Macbook Pro box in excellent condition is not the same as MacBook Pro, box in excellent condition.

That'd piss you off eh.

What makes it even worse, is that half the people in this world can't spell or use grammar properly anyway, which would make it even easier to scam someone

rtc on the road
16th June 2007, 01:54 PM
Isn't there some way you can pay with Australia Post, where you pay for the item when you pick it up from the post office; Pay on delivery or something like that.

You mean like escrow?

Many sellers (including most of the dodgy ones but sadly also quite a few legitimate ones) refuse to use escrow services

James
16th June 2007, 02:05 PM

Dodgy? Why?

rtc on the road
16th June 2007, 02:09 PM
A cynic (e.g. me) might suspect that some of these people have made many sales to many happy feedback-leaving customers.

There may be others with similar looking feedback that obtained it by either:
- leaving feedback for themselves via multiple accounts
- becoming part of a network or group of dodgy sellers that leave each other good feedback in return
- generate sales ("auctions") and award the sale to a bidder that they know (or who is one of their other ebay accounts), or is part of one of these networks or groups, purely in order to leave feedback and without any goods or money actually changeing hands. This sometimes (but not always) requires commission payments to ebay but some of them might be willing to outlay that cost in return for increased sales volume due to awesome feedback scores.

sanjay
16th June 2007, 08:10 PM
im a legitimate ebay seller with more than a hundred feedbacks and i too hate escrow services, but i also hate paypal because they take a sizeable chunk out of your earnings as well as ebay when they take their final value fee...they get to stick their dick in the pie twice and thats just not on.

buying off ebay? i too, do that all the time. i had one bad experience where i won the bidding for a PSP game for $15 and it was never sent to me, and one bad experience where some dude bid but never contacted me despite me sending many emails...what really shitted me about that was that he had many recent feedbacks from other sales so i know he was ignoring me, he hadnt just stopped using ebay. negative feedback for that wanker too...

...as for buying apple - contact the seller, get the serial number, make sure all your queries are answered, then bid.

if the item's expensive i like to get contact details with address, home number etc and make sure its all real before sending any money.

generally though your tingly spine sense will tell you if something's dodgy or not - for instance theres a macbook on ebay right now for $600, dead logic board, still in warranty for 9 months (checked serial number)...so why hasnt he sent it in for a warranty repair? he wont tell me...instant dodgy (clearly hes abused it and apple arent covering it)

decryption
16th June 2007, 08:13 PM
I love eBay :)
I've got 200+ feedback points and have never had an issue with anyone.

sanjay
16th June 2007, 08:15 PM
yeah, ive found preemptively removing the bids from new ebayers who have been there less than 30 days brings down the fraud too...the bloody nigerian scammers actually bid on your stuff instead of just sending you annoying emails!

jubilantjeremy
16th June 2007, 09:06 PM
Jeremy, can you please share your story :P?

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=31345

I did receive the item a few days after that last post. The only redeeming thing was that he included 2 apple mice - as one had a frayed cord (and broke within half an hour of use anyway)

- Jeremy

stama
18th June 2007, 10:36 PM
lol I plan on selling my MBP on ebay very soon, just need some time to take some good pics for a good listing!

first time seller, have bought other items in the past without any problems... i'm probably gonna offer pickup options for peace of mind for the buyer :thumbup:

sanjay
18th June 2007, 10:40 PM
lol I plan on selling my MBP on ebay very soon, just need some time to take some good pics for a good listing!

first time seller, have bought other items in the past without any problems... i'm probably gonna offer pickup options for peace of mind for the buyer :thumbup:

no point selling anything expensive on ebay until youve at least got 10 - 20 feedbacks.

like some poor bastard with 0 feedback (he was genuine) ended up having his dell precision M90 go for $1000 http://forums.overclockers.com.au/images/smilies/lol.gif (its a $3000 laptop)

Joe90
18th June 2007, 11:16 PM

Clearly an experienced eBayer. All of the above!:thumbup:

stama
19th June 2007, 09:35 AM
no point selling anything expensive on ebay until youve at least got 10 - 20 feedbacks.

like some poor bastard with 0 feedback (he was genuine) ended up having his dell precision M90 go for $1000 http://forums.overclockers.com.au/images/smilies/lol.gif (its a $3000 laptop)

yeah I know... that's the only thing I am worried about!

I still might give it a go, otherwise will have to sell it using someone else's account!

kaisersozay
19th June 2007, 10:39 AM
I'm with decryption. eBay is just fine. I have been trading with eBay since since 1999 and made 504 transactions with 400 positive feedback and 2 negatives. The others just didn't leave feedback.
Why do people complain about the fees? Compare it to Grays Online. And by the way, Feedback is NOT compulsory.
Escrow will be the best decider for expensive purchasers and even if legit sellers won't co-operate, so what? You just cannot lose your money.
People cannot be protected from themselves (for example, not reading the Listing carefully and even fully). Commonsense and some research will quickly identify the veracity of the advertised item.
Just because PayPal is owned by eBay, it is a financial stand alone business which can be used outside the eBay platform and is entitled to charge a fee (or fees). Which by the way are far from usurious. All cost of selling should be factored in, by a sensible seller.
All fees are available for perusal before trading. You make your own choice. No-one forces you.
Sure, there are rip offs with freight and some countries are more risky than others, but who in their right mind would buy a Mac from someone in a Baltic country, who tells you they're selling on behalf of an American friend? Also PayPal offer buyer protection up to $3K (with qualifications) will your local real estate agent do that?
Escrow incurs a fee and I would be happy to pay it and tell the seller so, if the item was over my risk figure and without PayPal protection (which of course is mostly for failure to supply). I think too many buyers do not want to add the Escrow fee to their purchase. Again... your choice.
eBay is a very difficult mob to actually deal with. Robotic replies are their forte. But as a trading platform it is unequalled.

ilostmypassword
19th June 2007, 11:03 AM
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Ebay- like 99% of it's users. Viva la Ebay! :D

With a little common sense it's a great place to trade :thumbup:

bartron
19th June 2007, 11:57 AM

make sure only people with at least some feedback can bid and make them from Australia only if you are going to offer a 'buy-it-now' price.

I was trying to sell a 12" PowerBook a while ago and the first couple of goes it got bought by some prick in nigeria trying to scam me. I got the auction listin fees refunded by ebay each time but it was annoying.

Also, get some positive feedback or get a friend to list if for you. Nothing screams dodgy like someone with <10 feedback trying to sell a $1000+ item.

Bartron

Carcenomy
19th June 2007, 12:07 PM
It might have been the first, but eBay is still lacking. I frequent TradeMe, the NZ equivalent to eBay. I've only been stung twice - once on a copy of Quake, and once on a GeForce 6600GT. Not bad for six years of trading :)

I do agree with the suggestions above though - scrutinize the seller thoroughly, read, re-read and re-read again the listing. If there's maybe three words about the object and fifty paragraphs about how he wants paid... and always check for misleading wording and punctuation (like the MBP box in good condition/MBP, box in good condition example).

That's how I got stung with that 6600GT. 'Was working fine, haven't used for several months though. Untested.'. Untested my eye, that thing has all the classic signs of having had the everliving pus clocked out of it... it's overheated and he's sold it off.

Just use your wits and you'll be fine :)

rtc
19th June 2007, 08:46 PM
Clearly an experienced eBayer. All of the above!:thumbup:

actually never bought anything from ebay in my life...

sanjay
19th June 2007, 09:02 PM
I frequent TradeMe, the NZ equivalent to eBay.

what about www.ebay.co.nz?