PDA

View Full Version : Leopard - Spaces

PBLK
16th June 2007, 11:46 AM
What do you think about spaces?

Personally I think spaces will be the feature most useful to me. I regularly have more than five programs open, constantly switching between them. A space for browser/newsfire; a space for Ps, Ai, Id, etc.; A space for mail/adress book/ical. Easily switch between spaces with a keystroke!

I'm looking forward to Leopard.

purana
16th June 2007, 11:49 AM
I am a fan of virtual desktops, so I think spaces built into the OS will be good. I am looking forward to Leopard release.

grfxninja
16th June 2007, 11:50 AM
What do you think about spaces?

Personally I think spaces will be the feature most useful to me. I regularly have more than five programs open, constantly switching between them. A space for browser/newsfire; a space for Ps, Ai, Id, etc.; A space for mail/adress book/ical. Easily switch between spaces with a keystroke!

I'm looking forward to Leopard.

I haven't given it a lot of thought really. If I use it it will be basically as you have put it though.
I am so used to using expose though so I am not sure how I will go

detail
16th June 2007, 11:59 AM
Spaces will be good for me.

I have usually about 5 clients so I can have a space for each one and, I guess, one for me as well.

Then I can have all the open files ready to go along with all the background info at hand.

All in all quite useful.

I s'pose it will take a fair bit of memory to run properly.

thorevenge
16th June 2007, 11:59 AM
I'm just thinking its a quicker way to hide WoW from the Mrs....

hawker
16th June 2007, 12:05 PM
Are you able to do what the do with normal linux and actually 'spin' the desktop around (3d style) instead of just tabbing between desktops?

spargo
16th June 2007, 12:08 PM
Aren't there already some Spaces-esque apps you can get now? A mate of mine uses it on his MacBook and it runs a treat.. Maybe a good way to test if it'll be useful for people pre-Leopard.

Of course, having it built into the OS would be best.

feeze
16th June 2007, 12:30 PM
When I was at uni using the linux machines I used virtual desktops. Although they were very handy to divide up my workload they weren't something I couldn't live without and they certainly didn't warrant me installing 3rd party ones on my Mac.

although with spaces built in I might start using them.

PBLK
16th June 2007, 12:59 PM
Spaces will be good for me.

I have usually about 5 clients so I can have a space for each one and, I guess, one for me as well.

Then I can have all the open files ready to go along with all the background info at hand.

All in all quite useful.

I s'pose it will take a fair bit of memory to run properly.

I'd say the memory usage will definitely be high, I don't know how it will run on a non-dual core like my PB G4.

dev_enter
16th June 2007, 01:00 PM
Virtual Desktops have always been something I would like to get into, and I do try them again from time to time, but I always find that there is some shortfall with using them that annoys me. I'm pretty sure Leopard's spaces has addressed these concerns, so I'm looking forward to it. :)

Johnny Appleseed
16th June 2007, 01:09 PM
Spaces will be particularly useful with Parallels - better than the current "fast OS switching" I reckon.

morgs
16th June 2007, 09:13 PM
I am keen to try adding it to my workflow.

decryption
16th June 2007, 09:15 PM
Spaces will be particularly useful with Parallels - better than the current "fast OS switching" I reckon.

Very interesting prospect - I like :D