PDA

View Full Version : SCSI CD-ROM Reader

PeterPE
15th March 2004, 02:35 PM
I have a SCSI CD-ROM reader which was bought for a PC but never used.

Would it be possible to replace the dreadfully slow CD-ROM (caddy) reader in the Quadra840AV?

Would the MacOS 7.6 cope?

Perhaps the newer drive's 25x read speed might be overwhelming when the MacOS and Quadra hardware expects x2 speed?

I think I'm dealing with SCSI-2 bus performance here. Also, I detest using CD caddies.

Byrd
15th March 2004, 05:41 PM
If it's an 50-pin SCSI drive, you'll have no worries getting it to work on your 840AV. However, you can't boot from a non-Apple CD drive, and you may need to install a third-party driver to get it to mount CDs under OS 7.x/8.x.

However, Mac OS 7.6's default CD drivers are supposed to work fine with generic SCSI drives, and if not you could try an old version of FWB toolkit, CD sunrise extension, or Adaptec toast CD extension. Here (http://www.kan.org/6100/cd.html) is a good site outlining this - you'll probably find it's pretty easy to do in the end.

Edit: the Quadra 840 has a fast SCSI-2 bus for it's time, so it'll cope well with the faster drive.

JB

Edit: Changed 80 to 50-pin - thanks LCGuy.

LCGuy
15th March 2004, 09:44 PM
Actually, bYrd, it needs to be a 50 pin drive. If its 80 pin, that means its an UltraSCSI drive, and you'll need an adapter to convert it back down to 50 pin.

Secondly, you should have no problems with the faster drive. Neither the Quadra nor the Mac OS is expecting the drive to be a certain speed. It will go as fast as it can depending on the speed of the SCSI bus and the drive.

PeterPE
17th March 2004, 11:11 AM
The possibility that the Quadra won't boot from a 3rd-party internal CD-ROM drive is probably worth testing. But since this computer is now giving trouble with its hard drive, with replacements difficult to obtain, its likely to be not worth the effort. I'll leave it for a day when I'm at a loss for something to do. If I had a reliable 2-4GHz replacement 50-Pin SCSI-2 hard disk, I would jump right in. Thanks people.

PeterPE
17th March 2004, 03:56 PM
Back again.

I have dug out a SCSI-2 50-pin CD-ROM reader that I forgot I had. Its a brand new TEAC CD-532S and it has a 32x read speed. No caddies to mess with and decent perfomance to boot. Well, we dunno if it will boot, do we? TEAC says for Macs that the Mac SCSI controller hardware should be able to drive it but we don't know about older Macs. They point to FWB's CD-ROM Toolkit as a software source. But alas, the Toolkit no longerr supports 680x0 Macintoshes. All these hurdles to keep older Macs operating! AAARRGGHHHHH!!

Currawong
17th March 2004, 08:30 PM
You may need Apple CD-ROM version 5.3.1 to use the drive at all. Quite likely, it will be bootable, but there's a chance, as others have said, that it might not.

If you need 2Gb or larger SCSI hd's, there are zillions floating round ebay for as little as $5. I have a stack sitting here at home...

Byrd
17th March 2004, 08:35 PM
Peter,

This site (http://www.graphixmad.plus.com/mac_troubleshooter/cdrom_problems.html) tells you how to hack your existing Apple CD ROM driver to support third-party models, such as your Teac drive.

JB