PDA

View Full Version : Leopard: Disks off desktop by default

Johnny Appleseed
15th June 2007, 11:25 AM
This may already have been touched on in other threads, but I just noticed Leopard is the first Mac OS in history to not have the HD and removable disks appear on the desktop by default.

It hasn't really been necessary since OS X anyway, and I've never displayed disks on the desktop since I moved up from Classic. But I've noticed a lot of MacTalkers do, whether it's because they can't be bothered changing the default, or are stuck in some OS 9 habits, or just plain prefer it that way.

So what's your take?

decryption
15th June 2007, 11:25 AM
I just can't be bothered changing from the default :p
But you're right - they serve little purpose on the desktop.

macsyd
15th June 2007, 11:43 AM
Hmmm, never actually thought about it. I've never accessed them from the desktop, but have just assumed they belong there.

A fine example of the thinking Apple puts into its work, critically evaluating even the most basic, often overlooked by users aspects of its OS.

mykie
15th June 2007, 11:48 AM
Serious newbie question... How do I remove them under Tiger?

Johnny Appleseed
15th June 2007, 11:50 AM
Serious newbie question... How do I remove them under Tiger?

Finder: Preferences: General

MrJesseRoss
15th June 2007, 11:52 AM
Does this extend to those mounted installation drives (I forget what they're called) as well?

I like having the disks there on the desktop. I rarely use Finder to access disks, because they're right there, easy to get to.

But then, I'm not so set in my ways as others might be. I'm used to hunting around Windows to see where it's hidden disks and things. If disks disappear from the desktop, it's just another removal of picture obstructions. Maybe I'll finally have a clean desktop!

Johnny Appleseed
15th June 2007, 11:53 AM
Does this extend to those mounted installation drives (I forget what they're called) as well?

Yeah, you can choose to display removable disks (or not) as well.

Edit: Actually, it looks like it lumps removable hard disks in with your startup disk, and keeps optical media and iPods in a separate category.

mykie
15th June 2007, 12:44 PM
D'Oh.
Thankyou :rolleyes:

Gerbils
15th June 2007, 01:05 PM
I leave my HDs on the desktop because they are pretty (custom icons).

W2ttsy
15th June 2007, 01:19 PM
HD icons are the only ones to survive on my desktop. the rest are all hidden...

i wont miss them in leopard.

W2ttsy

W9cae
15th June 2007, 01:23 PM
Cool I never noticed you could remove them.

Aa
15th June 2007, 02:13 PM
Sometimes (albeit rarely) disks decide not to show in the finder window or don't eject properly.

I like having a couple of ways to do things...

shorebuck
15th June 2007, 03:07 PM
I like the disks on the Desktop myself, I do usually use the Finder to copy files but i like the drag and drop or being able to click on a drive and eject it quickly.

forgie
15th June 2007, 03:20 PM
Cool I never noticed you could remove them.
Me neither!

jeremy_warnock
15th June 2007, 03:25 PM
i like the hdd icons

Johnny Appleseed
15th June 2007, 03:50 PM
You can also stick your HD (or Home folder or whatever) in the end of the Dock nearest the trash for one-click access and a right-click hierarchical menu (a la the old Apple menu). I did that until the Finder Sidebar was introduced.

rtc
15th June 2007, 04:00 PM
You can also stick your HD (or Home folder or whatever) in the end of the Dock nearest the trash for one-click access and a right-click hierarchical menu (a la the old Apple menu). I did that until the Finder Sidebar was introduced.

One of the main reasons i'm looking forward to leopard's finder is to use their stacks thingo (and the tiling too).

I used to like popup windows and I used to like aliasing into the apple menu, but I'm sorry to say that I have always hated the second-rate option of aliasing your HDD into the dock for use by right-click. Why? Dunno - personal preference I guess.

macgeek
15th June 2007, 04:05 PM
Used to have mine on the desktop, but recently (day before yesterday) It dawned on me that I never use them to access files anyway... so they are gone now.

Nice clean desktop 4tw

soulman
15th June 2007, 04:23 PM
I'm half & half - I don't show internals but network shares & other removables mount to the desktop because I'm more likely to need to interact with them in a top level kind of way. Everything on my internal drives is accessible in other ways, so there is no need to have them there. I also find it good to know at a glance if I have something in the optical drive. Works for me.

marc
15th June 2007, 05:39 PM
I'm the same as soulman... let him show you the way. It's a good compromise between being anal over clutter, and being useful for the things you need to use.