PDA

View Full Version : If I reinstall OS X on MBP do I loose iLife06?

todned
15th June 2007, 10:38 AM
I am asking because I would like to buy MBP now and upgrade to Leopard in Oct but I wanted to check when i install Leopard on MBP would I lose iLife06?

Thanks

mechcon
15th June 2007, 10:43 AM
No as iLife is a seperate entity to OSX.

If you upgraded (instead of a clean install) from tiger to leopard it'll keep the software as is. clean install, ilife would not be included with retail osx.

todned
15th June 2007, 11:13 AM
yeh, that's what I've read. thanks for confirming it.
I might wait for Leopard because I'd prefer to do clean install but I don't want to lose iLife.

mctext
15th June 2007, 11:38 AM
Don't know if you use GarageBand.
But if you do, one thing to look out for with even system upgrades is that GB is part of the install.
When I last did this (10.3 to 10.4), it junked all my JamPacks and I had to reinstall them.
Might be the same with 10.4 to 10.5??
On iLife: 10.4 includes a demo of Keynote and and Pages.
When you run a file in either, the OS tries to open them in the demo version, even if you already have a registered version installed.
Again, could be the same with 10.4 to 10.5.
So junk the demos after the install.

mct

Tiprya
15th June 2007, 11:39 AM
The install discs that come with the computer will come with iLife, so you can do a clean install when Leopard comes out and then reinstall iLife from the discs you get with your computer

decryption
15th June 2007, 11:43 AM
When you re-install OS X, if you go choose to customise your installation (this happens after you've selected the drive you wish to install to if I recall correctly), then you can tick the options to add iLife when installing the OS again :)

This only happens if you use the install discs that came with your computer. If you're using a retail copy of OS X, the iLife option is not there, as obviously, iLife does not come with the OS.

Tiprya
15th June 2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah youre right, but you can use Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to install the iLife applications off your original install discs once you've installed Leopard

bartron
15th June 2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah youre right, but you can use Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/) to install the iLife applications off your original install discs once you've installed Leopard

or cheat and just insert disc 2 (where the bulk of iLife is), :cmd:+Shift+G and type in /Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 2/Packages and re-install iLife from there.

The iLife install should recognise that you have the right to install though so you should be able to do the "Install Additional Packages" from Disc 1 but that requires disc swapping.

Bartron

todned
16th June 2007, 09:50 PM
wow thanks guys for so much options and details.

stama
17th June 2007, 08:19 PM
yeah thanks for this, might do a clean install... was hoping i could keep Ilife