PDA

View Full Version : Does running my MBP on clamshell damage the LED screen surface?

scokim
14th June 2007, 04:11 PM
HI folks,

Can the heat generating through the keyboard damage the LED screen surface in any way when the computer is running with the lid closed ?

My common sense tells me the heat could warp the soft surface, just as it would do to a piece of paper.
:confused:
What does Apple say ?

tommelbourne
14th June 2007, 04:27 PM
I daresay Apple would say there is a very good reason they don't allow their laptops to be run with the lid closed ;)

mac_man_luke
14th June 2007, 04:30 PM
macbooks and macbooks pros do run with the lids closed though

tommelbourne
14th June 2007, 04:35 PM
macbooks and macbooks pros do run with the lids closed though

Ah. The way the OP described it made it sound like some kind of hack. Shows how much i know (and how much i wish i had a current Mac!)

If that's the case then it must be fine (and, if it does screw up your screen, Apple could be to blame).

qwijibo
14th June 2007, 04:41 PM
I've been using mine in clamshell mode for the last few months, and it does get hot (80+ degrees), but it hasn't affected the screen yet.

kim jong il
14th June 2007, 04:52 PM
I've been using mine in clamshell mode for the last few months, and it does get hot (80+ degrees), but it hasn't affected the screen yet.

The LCD is going to be fine, what about the guts of it roasting though? I'd only try this if I had current Applecare...

Cien
14th June 2007, 05:52 PM
I use mine in combination with an external LCD for a year now and it's perfectly fine.

I do have to add that I do open the lid a little bit when the processor is going trough the roof...

Byrd
14th June 2007, 07:35 PM
The keyboard, among other things, is designed as a large passive heatsink - but definately isn't the main component involved in dissipating heat from the motherboard.

Any MB/MBP used in "clamshell" mode will increase temperatures, but since the screen is switched off whilst closed, it's not going to make any difference. The best thing to do is make sure the surrounds of the notebook are clear from any obstruction, and a stand helps here too :)

JB