PDA

View Full Version : Will you upgrade to Leopard?

Joe90
13th June 2007, 10:58 PM
Will you be upgrading to OS X Leopard when it's released?

Is there enough in it to entice you to splash the cash?

thorevenge
13th June 2007, 10:58 PM
I have to for work purposes so yes!

forgie
13th June 2007, 10:59 PM
Yep....

hawker
13th June 2007, 11:00 PM
This has been asked before, and the answer is yes :)

decryption
13th June 2007, 11:04 PM
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/2852/damnip1.jpg

YES I WILL

tangent23
13th June 2007, 11:05 PM
it's sooo cheap to upgrade [if it's priced anywhere like last time], it seems silly not to*.. might wait a bit to see if any wrinkles need to be ironed out though..

and yes, i'll be getting the Ultimate edition..

*well, not silly, my wife is still on 10.3 and happy not to change.. but for me i like to see what's new and improved..

mechcon
13th June 2007, 11:10 PM
fuckin oath! gonna get the ultimate edition :D

Joe90
13th June 2007, 11:11 PM
Quick Look is the selling point for me. I can see that forming the frontend of my image library.

Stacks are a pretty cool idea. Handy for projects.

Sambo
13th June 2007, 11:21 PM
Might sound silly, but I'm seriously considering the enterprise edition, if I go crazy and decide to go all out ultimate may suit.

jeremy_warnock
13th June 2007, 11:23 PM
fuck yeah cant wait - leopard looks great

mechcon
13th June 2007, 11:27 PM
I wonder who voted no? dana? :)

Joe90
13th June 2007, 11:31 PM
I guess from the reactions so far that no-one wants to be the only kid in the street without an ice-cream. [Flashes of Eddie Murphy] ;)

Brains
13th June 2007, 11:37 PM
Ha, I spend more time with older MacOSes (6.0.2, 8.6), hell I've not bothered to move to 10.4 ... nothing there I need, the same applies with 10.5.

(That makes me the second 'no' vote :))

B.

dev_enter
13th June 2007, 11:38 PM
Xcode 3. Enough said.

bushfire
13th June 2007, 11:40 PM
i don't use half the shit on 10.4 why do i need more shit messing up my day.

Febs
13th June 2007, 11:43 PM
I would like to, but I'm not sure how it'd run on my DP500MHz G4 (Tiger currently runs beautifully, though I do have 1.5gb RAM, a SATA RAID, better video card etc...)

Would probably buy a headless iMac tower if Apple brought one out (ie: power of an iMac, in a tower form-factor), but until then, good old "Tank" will do me nicely. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

grep
13th June 2007, 11:44 PM
The new finder is a major selling point for me. Spaces will be useful.

Time machine would be great on a Mac used as a file server .... I wonder if there will also be a command line interface to time machine. The time machine blurb (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/timemachine.html) doesn't provide any info on this sort of interface.

oneplusone
13th June 2007, 11:47 PM
Yep, I'll probably upgrade sometime in october....:D

I want coverflow in my finder..... and i'm dying for Time Machine....

MacPC
13th June 2007, 11:47 PM
I was completely underwhelmed by Jobs' keynote the other day. If they were the 10 best features then they've truly run out of ideas. I'd expect that perhaps they want to keep under wraps some of the top features, but to present those shown at 10 of the best left me wanting more.

I found Stacks within the dock a good feature, especially for things like applications where we have a trillion!

I am not impressed, however, by the pseudo 3d dock and its reflective surface. What did this add. I am also not impressed by the Finder iTunes-like new view, seriously what use is this? I think Timeline is a cool feature, but I hate that they've gone tacky and done the whole space scene behind - looks so amateurish.

I had thought before this they'd perhaps make this release an Mac OS X 11.0, I now think 10.5 is appropriate.

One final thing, totally loved Jobs' piss take of the Vista versions and that each version of Mac OS Leopard will be US$129. haha.

sanjay
13th June 2007, 11:51 PM
i dunno, i was sitting there thinking 'wow' at most of those features, cover flow looks amazing.

so does time machine for that matter...but sometimes i think apple goes overboard with the flashy graphics. :)

will i upgrade to leopard? only if i can get a macbook for under a grand (fire sale, im looking at you) by the time its released :)

aussiedeano
13th June 2007, 11:51 PM
I'll get the Basic Edition first, see if there is enough to entice me to upgrade to Ultimate!

jeremy_warnock
13th June 2007, 11:53 PM
is the Pope a catholic?

He's also a Nazi - thats so funny

forgie
13th June 2007, 11:58 PM
Ha, I spend more time with older MacOSes (6.0.2, 8.6), hell I've not bothered to move to 10.4 ... nothing there I need, the same applies with 10.5.

B.
I had a funny feeling you'd vote no! ;)

The only way that you'd vote yes was if Leopard came without Terminal.app by default! :D

bertofski
14th June 2007, 12:22 AM
i will wait till protools is compatible with it and then install it, otherwise i will be stuffed.

Paxton
14th June 2007, 12:27 AM
Nope. I was disappointed with the Keynote, and the lack of new features in Leopard. Hell, I like the current Finder, and I have no qualms with anything else in the System, so I'll wait until I upgrade my PowerMac next year before I get a new OS.

richbowen
14th June 2007, 12:32 AM
Yes and this time it's my brother's turn to buy the family pack :D

Rayd
14th June 2007, 12:42 AM
on the first day of release i will have it :D

iSlayer
14th June 2007, 12:52 AM
the day they release the GM to all us adc members

macjason0607
14th June 2007, 12:52 AM

B.

Of course i'm going to upgrade :D :thumbup:

:eek: Brains :eek: RESISTANCE IS FUTIAL

Brains
14th June 2007, 01:06 AM
Ah, jason shows the precision spelling all Americans are famous for. Good work :)

iMic
14th June 2007, 01:24 AM
Count me in for an upgrade to Ten Five. I'll slide in a new video card and overclock the CPU and FSB, just in time for October.

Then again, I could just buy new with it bundled. ;)

Tejas
14th June 2007, 03:11 AM
that depends on the system requirements - hopefully it will run on my 1.25ghz eMac - otherwise i might upgrade to a mini

timryan
14th June 2007, 05:43 AM
No-one is telling us system requirements yet (unless I missed it), so undecided for now.

Granny Smith
14th June 2007, 07:04 AM
Will only move to Leopard eventually. Won't be upgrading OS until and unless I upgrade my hardware. And that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Secoa
14th June 2007, 07:16 AM
I normally wait until some of the compatibility issues are thrashed out. I also am not sure whether it will run on my iMac 1ghz ?

hawker
14th June 2007, 07:18 AM
No-one is telling us system requirements yet (unless I missed it), so undecided for now.

My guess: G4 1ghz recommend, will run on any G4 though! Bye Bye G3's :)

markh
14th June 2007, 07:24 AM
Been putting off buying an iMac 20" until leopard comes out.. so yeah, I'll be upgrading :-)

dolbinau
14th June 2007, 07:26 AM
Only when tiger becomes obsolete.

applecollector
14th June 2007, 08:07 AM
My guess: G4 1ghz recommend, will run on any G4 though! Bye Bye G3's :)

No exactly.
1. i'm sure someone will do a crack to enable it to work.
2. if you can get your hands on the original WWDC version of 10.5 it will work on the G3's!
see here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uypLguVq2_w)

Brewster
14th June 2007, 08:11 AM
i will wait till protools is compatible with it and then install it, otherwise i will be stuffed.

I voted yes but I had forgotten those fun compatibility issues :eek:

Goodbye
14th June 2007, 08:23 AM
I'll buy it the first day it's available, or the first day new iMacs ship with it.

qwijibo
14th June 2007, 08:23 AM
I'll be delaying upgrading until I get a new machine - planning on a changeover in january-ish, so blowing $200 in october just doesn't seem worth it.

Besides, it'll take that long to work out the kinks in 10.5.

tcn33
14th June 2007, 08:32 AM
Day 1. Working out the kinks is half the fun, and you can always go back if necessary.

tommelbourne
14th June 2007, 08:36 AM
I would.... if i thought it would run on my iMac.

Sadly, i don't think that is going to happen!

Goodbye
14th June 2007, 08:44 AM
I'm sure it will run just fine on your G4 iMac, if that's the machine you're talking about.

gehenna
14th June 2007, 08:48 AM
heck yes i will.

Silver
14th June 2007, 08:52 AM
I'll probably buy a new Mac to upgrade to Leopard. Hopefully there will be a product bump around then as well...

tommelbourne
14th June 2007, 09:04 AM
I'm sure it will run just fine on your G4 iMac, if that's the machine you're talking about.

I dunno, it is an 800mhz machine with 512mb of RAM and a 32mb GeForce2 - meaning that it's no speed demon.
Just the look of that new dock makes me shudder when i think about how much it would slow down my iMac!

marc
14th June 2007, 09:25 AM
I'll be getting it as soon as I possibly can. Main reasons:

- Front Row 2
- Finder
- Time Machine
- Core Animation (can't wait to see some 10.5 apps using this)
- Mail
- Better visual consistency across apps

Btw, the price has been confirmed as AUD$199 (or so I've read).

rtc on the road
14th June 2007, 09:32 AM
Yes, at some point in my life.

I'll do it soon, if it will run on my about-to-be-purchased G5 2.0DP.

Domenic
14th June 2007, 09:34 AM
I'll probably buy a new Mac to upgrade to Leopard. Hopefully there will be a product bump around then as well...

Same as me...

My Mac's good enough for me at the moment, I'm not going to need a life-changing new desktop for what I do on my Mac, anyway...

Revolution
14th June 2007, 10:06 AM
I'll be upgrading for sure. My MacBook Core Duo with 2GB RAM should be able to run it with no problems, right? :D

g5agogo
14th June 2007, 10:26 AM
I've voted as undecided. I'll probably wait until I hear how it plays with various current apps and systems, and until some of the pro-app features require 10.5 for support. Until then, I think our systems will remain a 10.3.9/10.4.x mixed batch. I haven't seen a good reason at the moment to shunt our G4s and G3s up to Tiger yet, only the G5s and MBP (naturally) are on 10.4

sunrisesister
14th June 2007, 10:27 AM
I want leopard so bad it HURTS. We will be buying it on Day 1.

Currawong
14th June 2007, 10:34 AM
Every time I've upgraded, I've found the new Mac OS X to have many useful features for me. As it stands, 10.4 is a bit frustrating to use for me - Spotlight is not fast, the Finder is awful and it looks like this will be the first time I do a completely clean install due to the number of random weird issues I've had.

Geoff3DMN
14th June 2007, 10:43 AM
I'll be upgrading my MacBook Pro C2D when it comes out, I'll probably leave the mini on 10.4 though as I'm still hoping against hope that Apple will release a 64 bit compatible mini.

If they don't then I'm not really sure what I'll do...

Arkhum_Eramak
14th June 2007, 10:44 AM
Finder improvements and stacks are definately up there on my list, and seeing more Core stuff will be good also. Also, time machine looks handy, since I'm looking to soon have a 100Gb 2.5" FW drive laying around doing nothing.

I'll upgrade early on as I always have done, but laptop only initially. Work machine will have to wait a little bit before it gets the upgrade - either until 10.5.1 or 10.5.2, depending on what seems the safest at the time. Then again, I probably wont be able to help myself and I'll have to install it on the most powerful machine I have!

spargo
14th June 2007, 11:00 AM
I want TimeMachine for backing up, but I will wait until I buy a second Mac laptop end '07 or early '08 which will come with Leopard.

I brought Tiger when it was first released, and loved using the new features. Just can't justify buying an upgrade version off the shelf this time 'round.

iPirate
14th June 2007, 11:13 AM
The day before yesterday I encountered a situation where I would have really really needed Time Machine.

$129 vs trying to recover like a hundred Address Book cards... I'd happily shell out the money.

Byrd
14th June 2007, 11:15 AM
Like others, who wouldn't? I'll probably wait a few months until taking the plunge - my Cube 1.5Ghz should surely be up to the task (albeit no doubt unsupported!).

Although, it's only now that I've started to use Spotlight regularly, and Dashboard I couldn't give two hoots about :)

JB

Gerbils
14th June 2007, 11:19 AM
Yes I will, but I think it will be with a new computer purchase.

rtc on the road
14th June 2007, 11:23 AM
Every time I've upgraded, I've found the new Mac OS X to have many useful features for me. As it stands, 10.4 is a bit frustrating to use for me - Spotlight is not fast, the Finder is awful and it looks like this will be the first time I do a completely clean install due to the number of random weird issues I've had.

I agree curra:
- spotlight is stupidly slow (i suspect due to either it or the indexing service it uses being badly written). This is confirmed by the fact that there are third party apps that do the same thing at about a million times the speed of spotlight (although admittedly none i've seen are as comprehensive)
- the finder is in need of an overhaul. Leopard come on down!
- 10.4.9 is the worst iteration of OSX i've ever had on my system, and is unquestionably the direct cause of many issues including freezing, hanging etc - stuff i have never experienced anywhere near this often on a mac, which pisses me off. I wish wish wish wish i was still on 10.4.8.

watcher
14th June 2007, 11:25 AM
Should be a great revision to an already awesome OS.

nicwithsticks
14th June 2007, 12:16 PM
I will be going the new machine > new OS route also.

Looking forward to either an iMac or MacBook Pro running Leopard for Christmas. :D

Erwin
14th June 2007, 12:22 PM
Yes. :)

goatcatcher
14th June 2007, 12:24 PM
Yes, as soon as released I think!

I'll really welcome Spaces: using Citrix and Remote Desktop a fair bit, also good for EyeTV and good to keep those server apps I've got running permanently out of the way of my day-to-day stuff.

Finder improvements look good, but we'll have to see whether the new version addresses some of the other well documented shortcomings of the current Finder.

Time Machine will be great; I'll just need an external disk much bigger than the internal one to use it to its full benefit.

Those are the killer features for me. None of the other improvements would encourage me to upgrade in themselves.

The notes and to-dos in Mail will fill a gap for things not worth firing up Journler or Remember the Milk.

I've only used Automator once, but the improvements make it look a fair bit easier to use; and I like the idea of recording actions. Might make me use it more.

Stacks could prove useful.

I've downloaded Safari 3 to give it a go, but I use Firefox day to day and like all the add-ins, although Safari is faster and nicer to use.

Looks like there are some good "under the hood" improvement to the OS, and I might dabble with XCode 3.0 if I get time.

The Fluffy Duck
14th June 2007, 12:25 PM
yep but only for one of my machines

Alec Fraser
14th June 2007, 01:20 PM
Oh hell yes!!

Especially for the new networking goodness in finder! And of course for Front Row 2 ;) With 3 macs of my own, my girlfriends and a mates I'll probably also be buying a 5 license pack.

vicmeldrew
14th June 2007, 03:36 PM
Voted no, because i won't be spending $200 to be a beta tester. I'll buy my first Intel mac sometime next year after the bugs have been ironed out.

Domenic
14th June 2007, 03:39 PM
I agree curra:
- spotlight is stupidly slow (i suspect due to either it or the indexing service it uses being badly written). This is confirmed by the fact that there are third party apps that do the same thing at about a million times the speed of spotlight (although admittedly none i've seen are as comprehensive).

Hmm.. that's weird... maybe I don't have as much stuff on my computer, but my spotlight is fantastic! Its fast for me, anyway...

rtc on the road
14th June 2007, 03:44 PM
Hmm.. that's weird... maybe I don't have as much stuff on my computer, but my spotlight is fantastic! Its fast for me, anyway...

You've probably got a much faster processor. I've got a 1.4GHz Sonnet G4. My machine's real limitation though is the bus speed (AGP sawtooth - 100MHz I believe?)

Having a faster processor often hides crappy software engineering. Inefficient software and lean, mean, efficient, well-oiled software can run at similar speeds on fast computers, but one of the places that the difference becomes noticeable is on old clunkers.

It's like web dev - write a page with a bit too much in terms of file size that has to be downloaded to the client machine (e.g. image files aren't compressed as much or as cleverly as they could be, etc), and office LAN users won't notice. Broadband users will, but will be patient enough (most of them). Dial-up users will scream at you and wheel themselves down the road to your competitor who has a lean, efficient, quick-loading website.

rtc on the road
14th June 2007, 03:46 PM
The arrival of OSXI is announced for end of 2010 (in twenty months time later). This will be available on both mac and PC, and will replace the (by then) current Mac OSX 10.6.3 Cheetah.

And Mac OS XI for windows will be very poor design and an absolute flop, with bugger all uptake.

Bart Smastard
14th June 2007, 04:02 PM
Yes, I will upgrade... by way of a new hardware purchase planned for Q1 2008. I can wait until then but I will be reading with great interest all the reports from all you early adopters ;)

rtc
14th June 2007, 04:10 PM
Oops that's my second vote for yes

marc
14th June 2007, 04:14 PM
Having a faster processor often hides crappy software engineering. Inefficient software and lean, mean, efficient, well-oiled software can run at similar speeds on fast computers, but one of the places that the difference becomes noticeable is on old clunkers.
Or... some intensive tasks take up large amounts of resources, no matter how optimised they are.

rtc
14th June 2007, 04:31 PM
Or... some intensive tasks take up large amounts of resources, no matter how optimised they are.

Re-rendering a CGI movie from scratch and encoding it along the way? Yes.

Performing a search (albeit system-wide and for not only files but contacts and mail messages too)? Er.. if you say so!

marc
14th June 2007, 04:50 PM
Performing a search (albeit system-wide and for not only files but contacts and mail messages too)? Er.. if you say so!
How many files do you think are on your HD? A system wide search that also looks inside files isn't on my list of "things your computer does that you could also do on paper".

So yes, I do say so! :thumbup:

jastormont
14th June 2007, 04:56 PM
Yes I will.

I will wait a couple of months prehaps before I do, actually I probly will not. I will get it the week it comes out!

Ohh and because I am cheap and have a machine that has not even arrived yet, I will go with the home Basic version for performance reasons.

Muzza_77
14th June 2007, 05:01 PM
I'll be getting it as soon as it comes out!

rtc
14th June 2007, 05:19 PM
How many files do you think are on your HD? A system wide search that also looks inside files isn't on my list of "things your computer does that you could also do on paper".

So yes, I do say so! :thumbup:

Admittedly I don't know how spotlight works. I had assumed, perhaps erroneously, that it indexes your files.

Surely it would then just have to search the index? Which would be optimised for speed in searching?

The hints I'm given are things like "spotlight is currently indexing your files" (or some similar thing) appearing from time to time, and also the existence of what i assume to be index reference numbers within a "spotlight comments" field in the files on my hard drive.

Google can search quadrillions of web pages in a split second (literally). How? Because they're indexed (okay, they're also cached...).

If spotlight doesn't index files then:
- I stand corrected
- why doesn't it?

If spotlight indexes files then:
- Either the indexing method or service, or spotlight's use of it, doesn't seem very speed-optimised to me.