PDA

View Full Version : Pure Mobile preps for unlocking iPhones

W9cae
13th June 2007, 05:03 AM
I found this on Macnn sound's like good news for anyone not in the US wanting iPhone !

tuesday, june 12th
Pure Mobile preps for unlocking iPhones
Online phone shop Pure Mobile plans to offer an unlocked iPhone, according to PodTech VP Robert Scoble. The store claims it will de-restrict both 4GB and 8GB versions to allow their use on GSM phone networks beyond its official AT&T home, including the carrier's rival T-Mobile as well as Canadian providers such as Fido and Rogers. No mention has been made of pricing or availability, but demand for the unlocked Apple device is already said to be extremely high -- more so than any phone sold through the store in the past, says Pure Mobile. The company accordingly expects supplies to be very tight during the initial launch.
Also missing in the company's claim are explanations of how it will overcome the restrictions on the phone's SIM card, which are meant to limit the phone's use to AT&T and maintain the multi-year exclusive deal signed between Apple and the provider. Previous comments by the involved companies have suggested that extra measures will be in place to prevent a simple unlock process.

Unlocked phones are frequently considered essential for European providers, which are often expected to let subscribers switch between services without also abandoning their current handsets. Analysts have also suggested that carrier-free versions of the iPhone may flourish in Canada for as long as Apple declines to sell its phone in the country. [via Scobleizer]

Bodhi88
15th June 2007, 09:27 PM
Well they are saying now that you need an itunes account. It will prob be like getting movies if you don't have an american account it will not work.

thorevenge
15th June 2007, 09:52 PM
I wonder what kind of counter measures Apple will put in place in terms of legalities of sales for the device to AT&T to stop this kind of thing happening...

Johnny Appleseed
15th June 2007, 09:57 PM
Even if some users can get it working on other networks, they won't have visual voicemail support.

OziMac
15th June 2007, 10:01 PM
Seriously - if Visual Voicemail were the only sacrifice to be made for getting an iPhone, then so be it! It's really nothing to write home about.

You've got to wonder what exactly each party is getting out of this deal - other than Visual Voicemail, why is Apple trying so hard to lock their phone to AT&T for 2-5 years? Surely they must be shaving something off the top when it comes to the voice/data plan. And is the only incentive for AT&T the guaranteed huge influx of new subscribers?

Given the reluctance of European carriers to bend to whatever Apple's proposing, surely there must be an unlocked iPhone model from them somewhere in the near future - I mean, at least that way they're still making money out of the product, if not from the phone plan.

internet
16th June 2007, 08:13 PM
am i the only one that wants one of these, and would be willing to pay for one of these, just to use as an ipod, video player, wifi web browser????
i'd buy one of these from the US and bring it over here to use for that..

Dante Kyar
16th June 2007, 08:17 PM
am i the only one that wants one of these, and would be willing to pay for one of these, just to use as an ipod, video player, wifi web browser????

When you do, let us know the total costs and which carrier ur using in Aus, and i might be joining you :)

Exocet
17th June 2007, 01:31 AM
Personally I think you'll find that if you remove it from the original carrier, you'll lose all non-wifi data support. Look at phones such as Hiptop/Sidekicks, you can unlock the SIM restrictions but you still cannot access data. Same goes when you take a Blackberry handset to a carrier which has no Blackberry support.

I'll be very interested to see how this unfolds.

DJY
17th June 2007, 09:48 AM

I would love one from what I've seen...
and if visual voicemail is the only thing that won't work here - I'll still spend more money than I should to try and get one!!!!

It will be interesting to watch if anyone takes one out of the US, or unlocks it, etc etc.
I personally don't want to be the first - as sure with the iTunes connection... with the possible AT&T locking / software? DRM sort of - will the WiFi, or other functions work?

Once I see others have managed it - I would be very keen!
I have a friend in the States at the moment - so I'm if it works I'm very tempted to get him to send me one... or alternatively I have a couple of mates going over for work in coming months - so I'm sure if it does work I have a few options to get one back...

but I want to wait to see if it works on non AT&T networks, and in other counties first.
I suspect Apple are too clever to lock it up initially - meaning we might have to wait... which will kill me!!!

happyfrappy
18th June 2007, 04:50 PM
Exocet- the difference of RIM's Blackberry & Danger's Hiptop/Sidekick is all those services are run via those companies' servers. I highly doubt Apple will make that kind of mistake, look at what happened when RIM's servers had a meltdown and knocked people offline for a full day.

I'm waiting for T-Mobile UK or Germany to launch the iPhone, their phones always allowed inter-related TMO divisions to use each others SIM cards and the branding is very stable. I'd never touch another phone with Cingular's firmware, if instability of customization doesn't harm you, their "Enhanced Network Selection" firmware feature causes excessive battery drain even with using a non-Cingular/at&t SIM. ENS= active tower pinging for the best reception but it causes nasty hand-off issues between 850mhz to 1900/1900 to 850.(who knows how it would react to Euro/Asia Pacific carriers)
My former two Cingular phones bricked themselves from their weird customizations/network glitches.

Well they are saying now that you need an itunes account. It will prob be like getting movies if you don't have an american account it will not work.

iTunes accounts are easy to setup in other countries, just get a friend to setup a parental controlled sub-account and boom you're done.(or do what I had done, open a prepaid credit card/bank checking account in another country and use the native iTS)
I have three iTS accounts(US, CAN & UK)... if TMO Germany gets the iPhone, maybe I'll open a German bank account to use iTunes Store Germany :D ;)

Angsty
18th June 2007, 04:59 PM
Can't recall if I read this anywhere - has the iPhone been "certified" to work on the Australian phone network in general?

Are the network technologies compatible? (Sorry, not telco-speak proficient yet :)

And, how would I "hypothetically" get this phone to work?

Ang

Alec Fraser
18th June 2007, 05:13 PM
Can't recall if I read this anywhere - has the iPhone been "certified" to work on the Australian phone network in general?

Are the network technologies compatible? (Sorry, not telco-speak proficient yet :)

And, how would I "hypothetically" get this phone to work?

Ang

Yes, it will work on Australian networks, it's a standard GSM phone with a normal SIM card. As for how to get it to work...assuming Apple has done nothing more than sim lock it, then unlocking it as mentioned in the original post should be all you need to do to be able to put a SIM in from which ever provider you choose.

Of course, if it is tied to US iTunes accounts then you'd need to set up a US iTunes account using either a US credit card or a US iTunes card.

ricochet
18th June 2007, 05:26 PM
Don't forget that it would be pretty crippled as far as web-browsing goes when running over the GSM network which is slower than dial-up modem speed... you could still get good speeds when you were in wi-fi network range, but half the beauty of this device is probably a good healthy data download plan on a reasonable speed network (EDGE isn't great, but it's way better than GSM...)

If they come out here sometime next year on a 3G network then that may be a better option?

Exocet
18th June 2007, 05:56 PM
Exocet- the difference of RIM's Blackberry & Danger's Hiptop/Sidekick is all those services are run via those companies' servers. I highly doubt Apple will make that kind of mistake, look at what happened when RIM's servers had a meltdown and knocked people offline for a full day.
I work for for Telstra's Blackberry and Hiptop helpdesks - trust me, I know exactly what happened when the RIM Relay had a meltdown *shudder* ;)

However, that being said - I still don't see any other way to successfully lock the devices down to the original carriers. SIM-locking has been proven time and time again to be unsuccessful, proprietary data transmission is the only way to secure it to a carrier.

OziMac
18th June 2007, 06:56 PM
However, that being said - I still don't see any other way to successfully lock the devices down to the original carriers. SIM-locking has been proven time and time again to be unsuccessful, proprietary data transmission is the only way to secure it to a carrier.

Wouldn't that only affect trying to make use of the internet browsing functionality through the network? Would it also lock the phone?

I'm assuming the WiFi and stand-alone iPod parts aren't going to be affected by all that anyway.

internet
21st June 2007, 09:37 PM
guess we have to wait a week and find out :)

Bodhi88
24th June 2007, 10:49 PM
iTunes accounts are easy to setup in other countries, just get a friend to setup a parental controlled sub-account and boom you're done.(or do what I had done, open a prepaid credit card/bank checking account in another country and use the native iTS)
I have three iTS accounts(US, CAN & UK)... if TMO Germany gets the iPhone, maybe I'll open a German bank account to use iTunes Store Germany :D ;)

happyfrappy, YOU ROCK..... thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

Exocet
25th June 2007, 01:03 AM
Wouldn't that only affect trying to make use of the internet browsing functionality through the network? Would it also lock the phone?

I'm assuming the WiFi and stand-alone iPod parts aren't going to be affected by all that anyway.

There are ways. There is mention of requiring an iTS account to use the phone, its very easy to have a Welcome & Registration screen load the first time the phone is switched on, and require connection over the GPRS access point to continue. If you don't have access through the APN, you can't log in / create an account, and you can't use the phone.

:)