PDA

View Full Version : Flash - missing bits

Desi
19th January 2005, 08:52 PM
I'm working on a project which requires me to export artwork from Illustrator CS as .swf's for use in Flash MX 2004. When I export the .swf files and open them in flash player they are fine, everything is there. But when I import the images to the library in Flash there are little bits and pieces of the artwork missing. For example, if I export an image of a man his legs will be missing or if I export even a small image such as a pair of eyebrows there will only be one eyebrow instead of two. Is this a memory issue or a problem with Flash?

I'm working on a 1.5GHz Powerbook G4 with 1 GB RAM.

snax
19th January 2005, 09:10 PM
I hope somebody here has a fool proof way of getting Illustrator artwork into Flash (which I think is what you're asking).
I've had to do it a few times... Try experimenting with outlining your strokes etc, and playing with your export settings (like more appearance than editablity).

Having said that, you might try google'ing around. I recall at uni someone had a near foolproof method which involved importing the artwork into Freehand or Fireworks, then exporting from there to flash.

Lets hope they'll be more compatible with CS 2.0 or the next MX.

Anyone here know a method which works?

arty
19th January 2005, 10:49 PM
I know Freehand > Flash is pretty painless as both are by Macromedia. I don't use flash that often so can't tell you a direct Illustrator > Flash method, but suggest maybe try one of the Macromedia users forums at http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforum....cfm?forumid=15 (http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/index.cfm?forumid=15)

Desi
20th January 2005, 10:04 AM
I've been checking out the forums at both Macromedia and Adobe and whenever I've come across this problem no one has an solution. At least I know there are people out there having the exact same frustrating problem as me!

uncyherb
20th January 2005, 10:19 AM
As I understand it, the difficulty lies where illustrator has multiple layers. the export - import process suffers at this point

The one work-around that I beleive some people use is to force your ill onto one layer (if this is okay for layout) or to cut and paste individual items - either directly or via export with each 'seperate' item (ie: stuff that has to be animated individually like a leg) on a single layer document all of its own.

Hope this is of some help.

Mike V
27th January 2005, 04:07 PM
Flattern your artwork in Illustrator before exporting as SWF.

Also try exporting from Illustrator as Version 3 eps. Sometimes this is better than a swf.

Very buggy and very random.

I always hold my breath and wonder what you will get in Flash.