PDA

View Full Version : Did The iPhone Get Smaller??

gehenna
12th June 2007, 12:26 PM
Taken from an image up on Digg, iPhone is noticable smaller than last time I saw it....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1387/541765987_32bcf037a6_o.png

gaehl
12th June 2007, 12:28 PM
bigger handed, hand model?

gehenna
12th June 2007, 12:29 PM
have to admit, the phone itself does seem a bit shorter, regardless of the chubby hand model :)

stevejay
12th June 2007, 12:30 PM
Yeh, I'd wondered about that. Thanks for showing the two pics, I don't feel like I'm losing my marbles anymore.

fiark
12th June 2007, 12:38 PM
I think it is a perspective thing, the original shot is taken from further away and part of the arm is in the shot, whereas the new photo is taken closer, so possibly a perspective thing.

It does look shorter and there isn't as much gloss on the new pic.

Looking again: I vote smaller.

Dante Kyar
12th June 2007, 12:43 PM
I think smaller too. Anyone got a list of the old tech specs to compare with whats on the new apple.com site??

sendai
12th June 2007, 12:52 PM
The current photo has been squashed vertically. The icons aren't square...

fiark
12th June 2007, 12:53 PM
Taking that image out of browser, cropping so just the hand and phone, and stretching it a littel without constraining proportions makes it look the way it used to. Is it possible that someone has squashed it to make it look smaller?

When you look at the image on the iPhone page without the other picture to mess with your perspective, it also looks pretty much like it used to.

Looking again: optical illusion.

Someone please put me out of my misery and tell me either way. Please.

fiark
12th June 2007, 12:54 PM
Sendai: beat me to it...

bushfire
12th June 2007, 12:54 PM
advertising trick, old one. If products is small & you want it to appear big, use small hands
if product is big and you want it to appear small use big hands.

good example is KFC TV adds, folks hold burgers on the edges, making stupid people think the burgers are big.

Goodbye
12th June 2007, 01:12 PM
Actually...gehenna's screen may be the culprit. On my screen, the iPhone looks the same as the "original iPhone" pic. If you look at the icons on the actual page, they too are rectangular, not square as they are on my monitor.

Either gehenna has a dodgy monitor, or is messing with us :P

cosmichobo
12th June 2007, 01:21 PM
I'm with you, gehenna...

When I was looking at the new footage of the iPhone, I felt it was smaller than the image I had in my mind from the original footage at the start of the year...

sendai
12th June 2007, 01:39 PM
Sendai: beat me to it...Actually, I'm not so sure anymore...

26*26 on the iPhone itself and 25*25 on the introguidelinkthingo...

Meh...I still maintain that it's squashed... :D

Edit: Yup, the ratios are wonky.
300px*175px ≠ 115mm*61mm
235px*125px ≈ 115mm*61mm

gehenna
12th June 2007, 01:54 PM
i've seen the image on two monitors, my laptop is running at 1600x1050, and my external monitor is running 1280x1024. looks the same on both monitors. there's nothing wrong from my end.

Alec Fraser
12th June 2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.biip.no/html/evidence.jpg (http://www.biip.no/html/iphone.htm)

Courtesy of http://www.biip.no/html/iphone.htm

(http://www.biip.no/html/iphone.htm)

Dante Kyar
12th June 2007, 02:39 PM
So in regards to the iPhone, does anyone else think the developers kinda got screwed over with the building apps??

It seems to me that apple kind of just said, hey, just build a webpage, it will show in iphone, then iphone can grab the phone numbers and addresses and it will just use its inbuilt function to grab that info.

So what, application dev's are becomming web designers for the iphone??

Alec Fraser
12th June 2007, 02:52 PM
So in regards to the iPhone, does anyone else think the developers kinda got screwed over with the building apps??

It seems to me that apple kind of just said, hey, just build a webpage, it will show in iphone, then iphone can grab the phone numbers and addresses and it will just use its inbuilt function to grab that info.

Kinda off topic, but true. Lets hope that Apple continues to evolve the iPhone into a better product the way they've done with the iPod. Although even then they haven't listened to everything that people have asked for when it comes to the iPod.

sendai
12th June 2007, 02:58 PM

So what, application dev's are becomming web designers for the iphone??Nup, while it does mean that developers won't have direct access to the iPhones hardware, it doesn't mean they won't be able to create full-feature apps on it.

Lets look at what we can do in a web-browser... general office work (http://www.google.com/google-d-s/intl/en/tour1.html), basic image editing (http://blibs.com/editor/), play games, instant message, organise your time, log-in to a remote machine, etc., etc.

There isn't much you can't do in a web-browser capable of AJAX/Flash/Java/etc.

Apple give developers access to the data they need, without direct access to the hardware. So all 3rd party application will be sand-boxed, which should prevent potential malware from completely futzing your iPhone...

fiark
12th June 2007, 03:37 PM
White background and black background can give the impression that the phone is smaller or larger, I still think it is an optical illusion. The more I look the more I see that they are the same size.

But I would love to be wrong.

sendai
12th June 2007, 04:03 PM
White background and black background can give the impression that the phone is smaller or larger, I still think it is an optical illusion. The more I look the more I see that they are the same size.

But I would love to be wrong.Pardon me, huh? What? How do you interpret the size discrepancy in the over-laid image?

Anyhoo... the "Current iPhone" image (the one in the original post by gehenna, supposably from digg but I haven't verified because "Digg mostly distils idiocy (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showpost.php?p=294895&postcount=10)",) has a height to width ratio of 1:0.58.
The "Original iPhone" image (as per above,) has a height to width ratio of 1:0.53.

The current (http://www.apple.com/iphone/) iPhone image on apple.com has a height to width ratio of 1:0.54.
The official dimensions for the iPhone (115 x 61 x 11.6mm) has a height to width ratio of 1:0.53.

geektechnu
12th June 2007, 04:27 PM
The question is: who is responsible for the scaled image?
If you look at the pic in the original post, the whole Apple website is squashed vertically.

geektechnu
12th June 2007, 04:43 PM
Here's a pic to illustrate:

- Left is proportionally correct
- Right is the Digg image
- Both are scaled to the same size horizontally

No mystery here.

Alec Fraser
12th June 2007, 05:04 PM
If you actually go to the Apple website it looks normal, not squished (the original image is also in the showcase section where you can see that it hasn't changed size)...at least i does on my screen ;)

sendai
12th June 2007, 05:08 PM
Aaugh! See, not only does it distil it, it spreads it. Damn misdirection...

Could we please close this thread?

Joe90
12th June 2007, 05:10 PM
There's some budding iDetectives amongst us. I can digg that!

fiark
12th June 2007, 05:33 PM
All that the image size differences show is that:

It is a different picture of the iphone taken on a different day with a different model with more than likely a difference in hand size. The lighting in the photo is slightly different and more than likely the images were taken from different distances by different photographers.

The first image is on a white background and the second on a black background.

Any number of these things could contribute to the iphone looking smaller in the second image when a comparison is made between the two.

Until Apple come out and say: "Oh by the way we shrunk the iPhone" then the iphone is the same size it has always been it is only the images that are different.

feeze
12th June 2007, 06:04 PM

For the time being yes. I think John Siracusa addresses the issue of 3rd part apps best in his blog; http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2007/06/04/the-frontier

Basically he is saying that due to the fact that the iPhone is using a new interface with an unconventional input method, there currently isn't a standard that developers can follow when designing iPhone apps. Apple themselves would be still figuring out what works best, even after the iPhone release, i.e ironing out the bugs.

As such Apple doesn't want 3rd party developers creating 'ugly' apps for the iPhone. Nor would they want to have apps constantly breaking every time Apple updates and API.

So, IMHO, Apple have decided to make 3rd party devs use an existing standard (web 2.0) until Apple themselves can figure out an iPhone standard. Eventually they will allow 3rd party apps. :)

sendai
12th June 2007, 06:08 PM
All that the image size differences show is that:
<snip>:confused: I think that is officially the point I start 'banging head against wall'...

*bangs head against wall* :mad:

Here's a pic to illustrate:

- Left is proportionally correct
- Right is the Digg image
- Both are scaled to the same size horizontally

No mystery here.In his reply, geektechnu proves that the l "Current iPhone" image from digg has been vertically reduced in scale. The entire-window has been vertically reduced in scale. Everything that encapsulates the "Current iPhone" image has been vertically reduced in scale.

There is no mystery as to how the iPhone appears smaller.

The only mystery is who scaled the image, created the fake comparison and why.

My complaint about misdirection stems from my having been misdirected by the subject of the post/s. I compared and measured the iPhone images and icons, I didn't bother to look at the rest of the image (apple logo, text, etc.)

Home time!