PDA

View Full Version : New Finder as iPhoto replacement?

Johnny Appleseed
12th June 2007, 11:38 AM
I know some Mac users don't like iPhoto and would prefer something akin to Picasa. It seems to me the Leopard Finder, with its new browsing features, might just fit the bill for those who want direct access to their image files. It should be easy to rig up smart folders for sorting your pics, and you can browse them in large icon preview mode, QuickLook, CoverFlow, whatever...

gehenna
12th June 2007, 11:43 AM
+1 digg

C.A.T.S. CEO
12th June 2007, 08:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing, maybe...

richbowen
12th June 2007, 08:55 PM
As long as you don't try to use both iPhoto and Finder. Messing with the source files is the quickest way to stuff up the iPhoto database.

iPirate
12th June 2007, 09:07 PM
I noticed that www.apple.com/mac/ seemed to have an iPhoto preview in the pipeline. Perhaps this does not spell the end of iPhoto... or could it spell more features for editing? I suppose we shall see by the end of the week.

Joe90
12th June 2007, 09:36 PM
I emptied iPhoto like I'm emptying Aperture. I can't work with that filing system.

I'm for a standard directory structure with a good browser.

mechcon
12th June 2007, 10:28 PM
if its meant to replace iphoto, then where are the options to edit the picture?

Johnny Appleseed
12th June 2007, 10:47 PM

It would be mainly for organising and viewing, which are the main functions people need anyway. For editing you could use Preview, Image Tricks, ChocoFlop etc.

Joe90
12th June 2007, 10:49 PM

If it's worth editing then photoshop. I've tried many apps but always come back to pshop

IMO Apple has overcomplicated the process of image storage.

Johnny Appleseed
13th June 2007, 03:35 PM
I'll probably continue to keep my family snaps in iPhoto and all my other images in the Finder. Just now I'll have more browsing options than Finder slideshow!