PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp without the restart

Johnny Appleseed
12th June 2007, 09:14 AM
Well, Leopard might not have built-in virtualization after all, but this is pretty close:

Leopard brings a quicker way to switch between Mac OS X and Windows: Just choose the new Apple menu item “Restart in Windows.” Your Mac goes into “safe sleep” so that when you return, you’ll be right where you were. It’s much faster than restarting the computer each time. Likewise, a “Restart in Mac OS X” menu item in the Boot Camp System Tray in Windows makes for a faster return to Mac OS X. With Windows hibernation enabled, you can pick up where you left off.

smilne360
12th June 2007, 09:43 AM
very very handy for me.

Johnny Appleseed
12th June 2007, 09:51 AM
It'll be great for occasional Windows use (which I anticipate for myself). For frequent use Parallels + Spaces (or Coherence mode) will be much more convenient.

I'm glad Apple didn't kill Parallels' and VMware's Mac business!

purana
12th June 2007, 09:54 AM
Sounds interesting, I want to see some video demos of said feature ;)

bartron
12th June 2007, 09:59 AM
That's pretty cool. Good for when you want to pop into windows for a short while but keep you apps open in OS X.

Comet
12th June 2007, 10:11 AM
Wonder if you can do the same from windows. Would be extremely handy if you don't have to shutdown windows to go back to your os x.

bartron
12th June 2007, 10:13 AM
Wonder if you can do the same from windows. Would be extremely handy if you don't have to shutdown windows to go back to your os x.

...Likewise, a “Restart in Mac OS X” menu item in the Boot Camp System Tray in Windows makes for a faster return to Mac OS X. With Windows hibernation enabled, you can pick up where you left off.

I would say yes ;)
Bartron

nard
12th June 2007, 10:21 AM
Unless Apple have developed their own hibernation mode for Windows (which I doubt with extreme prejudice) I wouldn't be trusting the "Restart in OS X" menu item. Windows Hibernation is nastily untrustworthy.

xfodder
12th June 2007, 10:57 AM
Unless Apple have developed their own hibernation mode for Windows (which I doubt with extreme prejudice) I wouldn't be trusting the "Restart in OS X" menu item. Windows Hibernation is nastily untrustworthy.

yeah, you can press all the buttons you want ... that beast ain't waking up

sendai
12th June 2007, 12:14 PM
Unless Apple have developed their own hibernation mode for Windows (which I doubt with extreme prejudice) I wouldn't be trusting the "Restart in OS X" menu item. Windows Hibernation is nastily untrustworthy.It depends on your hardware. I use hibernate on my BootCamp partition, on my P4 desktop, and on all my Windows machines prior to the P4 (since 2001 or so.) If you buy hardware that properly deals with ACPI, it's fine :)

I'm annoyed that Apple made it so difficult to manually enter safe-sleep...

STK
12th June 2007, 12:20 PM
Very Very Very hand for me. I always switch between. I love battlefield :p

Mikey D
12th June 2007, 01:07 PM
Yep, this will be great for those who enjoy a casual game now and again - will make it that much more convenient.

ajaxom
12th June 2007, 02:56 PM
The info on the Apple website about 'fast-switching' has now been pulled, seems it wasn't supposed to be announced.

ricochet
12th June 2007, 04:00 PM
I hope that doesn't mean they're pulling it from the final product as well (to appease VMware/Parallels?) - it sounds great!

Joe90
12th June 2007, 05:06 PM
Very handy. I switch between op systems often.

mechcon
12th June 2007, 06:05 PM
crossover? interesting point :)

Currawong
12th June 2007, 06:24 PM
Crossover has considerable limitations - it pretty much only runs MS Office, though, strangely, HL2 can be played.

Parallels and VMWare were mentioned in the Keynote in a very positive way, so I doubt it has anything to do with either of those companies. Apple have a very strong focus on what they will support and wont. In their case, having 3rd parties create VM applications spares them a lot of hassle, yet makes Macs look far more attractive.

omelette
12th June 2007, 07:05 PM
I wonder where CrossOver for Mac fit in all this...
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Having tried Boot Camp, Parallels and Crossover, I'd say that for non-gaming business Windows use (i.e. MS Office and access to networks/VPN/bespoke Windows databases etc.) Parallels at present is by-far the easiest to use*. CrossOver is still way too buggy to even use Outlook and I can't be bothered to re-boot every time I want to access Access.

I look forward to seeing how the next version of Parallels stacks up against Boot Camp in leopard. :thumbup:

* I haven't included Remote Desktop Connection which can be used as a Windows emulation workaround.

Linux_insidev2
12th June 2007, 07:21 PM

They don't need to, when vista or xp calls the Halt CPU command, the firmware will just catch it and restart into osx instead of powering down.