PDA

View Full Version : QuarkXpress vs Adobe Indesign

piranha
19th January 2005, 02:26 PM
Can anyone direct me to info on why I should stay with QuarkXpress and not move studio software over to the more affordable Adobe Indesign?

neilrobinson
19th January 2005, 02:38 PM
its all really personal preference...

i still like quark :ph34r:

their is a few bits about some one of the graphic design forums... will send you a few links when i get home, i have a few bookmarked

suryo
19th January 2005, 02:42 PM
I spoke to a solutions reseller in Perth about this recently. They run training courses for both packages. I can't remember the numbers exactly, but it went something like this: "We run InDesign workshops every 2 weeks but only get enough interest to run QuarkXpress workshops every 2-3 months."

hoony
19th January 2005, 02:49 PM
Here's my two cents....

I'm a Quark user from way back (fave being 4.11) and was initally horrified when our studio went over to InDesign CS about a year ago. Now that I've used InDesign I think Quark 6 in OSX is cumbersome, buggy and a real battle. InDesign just works, the layout is logical and it integrates with Photoshop/Illustrator/Acrobat very well. The changeover was pretty painless too, just a few days of learning where things had moved (e.g. runaround is called text wrap).

There is alot of discussion around on the internet about Quark vs InDesign, so google it and see what others say too.

I am a convert!

scratchy
19th January 2005, 05:56 PM
Have a look with google, theres alot of info about this topic

I've gone from Quark to InDesign, InDesign makes things so easy,

Being able to import .psd files is great
Story editor
Seperations preview etc etc

snax
19th January 2005, 07:36 PM
Too bad InDesign isn't backwards compatible with itself. (ie CS can't open files from version 2.0 and below). What is the go with that!?

kim@torchpublishing.com.au
19th January 2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by snax@Jan 19 2005, 07:36 PM
Too bad InDesign isn't backwards compatible with itself. (ie CS can't open files from version 2.0 and below).
Sure it can. ID2 can't open a CS file but that's to be expected with progress.

We moved our entire production over to InDesign when ID2 came out. Moved to CS when it came out - changeover was smooth as silk.

We'd been with Quark for about 10 years but the switch has been one of the best things we've done. Couldn't be happier to have left Quark behind.

cheers

kim

neilrobinson
19th January 2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by snax@Jan 19 2005, 07:36 PM
Too bad InDesign isn't backwards compatible with itself. (ie CS can't open files from version 2.0 and below). What is the go with that!?
it can.... i haven't figured out a way to save to an earlier version thou... apparently it can be done :huh:

baxter
19th January 2005, 08:55 PM
From a PrePress standpoint, InDesign is great as long as you don't go too crazy with transparency effects.

Spot colour seps in general are a real breeze with ID as the Ink Manager solves almost all of the issues, the only problems really happen when spot colours interact with transparency. Just make sure that your read the chapter in the manual on transparency and flattening!

Overprint Preview and Separation Preview are fantastic tools. The print engine is very powerful too, with full support for inRIP separations.

Legacy support in all CS applications is a little bit crap! You can't save back to previous versions for compatability with others if needed.

Quark 6 is an absolute dog - nuff said. It is buggy, and VERY slow! Needless to say you can't really do anything in Quark 6 that is mentioned above! Printing is reliable as always.

The learning curve is a little steep to start with, but after a while you find that Quark is really quite limited (not to mention overpriced).

Baxter

snax
19th January 2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by neilrobinson@Jan 19 2005, 08:49 PM
it can.... i haven't figured out a way to save to an earlier version thou... apparently it can be done :huh:
My mistake Neil.... You're right, that's the problem: In CS you can't save down to .id2, which as you can imagine left us screwed when the printer in Japan only had version 2.0

More here http://www.graphicpush.com/archives/000011.shtml

aaarrrnnn
20th January 2005, 12:57 PM
Have any InDesign users had problems with printers who are still only using Quark? I had heard of problems initially, but have you found they're switching over too?

baxter
26th January 2005, 03:49 PM
Most PrePress Bureaus/Printers should have IDCS by now, if they don't go somewhere else. There is no excuse to be that far behind! (Just don't expect them to have ID4 the day after it comes out - most places like to wait and see what the demand is like first)

Mike V
27th January 2005, 04:02 PM
Switch.

I'm still a Quark user, but I think I'm going to switch this year.

grainfed
28th January 2005, 05:23 PM
Man, this was real simple for me... When I moved to OS X full-time, my classic apps sucked , so Quark was out on it's ear :P . Started with ID 2, which was a little rough, but still a decent competitor for Quark 4/5.

But in my opinion, InDesign CS DESTROYS Quark, when it comes to being a reliable layout tool.

Man, I freaking fell in love when I saw the quality of the hi-res previews over Quark 6's fairly ordinary attempt at same. Then, what really sealed the deal was the Ink Manager & Separations preview.

My advice (obviously only truly valid for me) - DROP QUARK LIKE A REALLY HOT STONE! Best of luck... :D

impact_blue
16th February 2005, 10:49 PM
InDesign all the way.. I've used Quark for years, way back since 4.11, and whilst it was the standard, I always had to fight it. InDesign just works... I think its awesome, and upgrade version transitions are extremely easy...

Integration with PhotoChop and Illustrator is excellent!!

Go InDesign - you won't look bag...

Cheers,
Nathan.

Jesse_James
23rd February 2005, 12:22 PM
In design is by far more advanced than Quark, however it isn't without it's problems.

The most important thing before switching: Make sure your printer has the lastest rips to handle files created through Indesign.

Other than that, if you do change you wont look back.

BigAD
23rd February 2005, 06:22 PM
I have no problems using Quark. I'm use to it and I can do design quicker than in Indesign.

I use Indesign often, but when I have the time to spend learning the program.

I can understand people using Indesign, the price difference being the main factor.

chucky
28th March 2005, 11:03 PM
Quark have always treated their (once loyal) customer base with utter contempt. Fred Ebrahimi (Quark's CEO) was famously quoted as saying "All [our] customers are liars, thieves and bastards". Regardless of InDesign's superiority as a layout program, that alone should be enough to convince you to switch.