PDA

View Full Version : The iBook's frakkin' fan

Granny Smith
11th June 2007, 08:25 PM
Hi MacTalkers,
Without making any changes to my work patterns, the location of doing my work or anything else at all that I can think of, my (933MHz) G4 14" iBook has developed the infuriating habit of running its internal cooling fan for long periods of time. In fact, it's started doing it right now, while I'm typing this. Even though we're having a relatively cold spell, and I'm wearing extra clothes to try and stay warm, the iBook is becoming increasingly often hot and bothered. Any suggestions on why, and if there's a way to stop the infernal fan (or at least make it run far less frequently)?
GS.

crimespree
11th June 2007, 08:32 PM
make sure you are not running it on the high performance setting in the power saving preferences. this causes it to run at fastest bus speed all the time, unlike automatic which will throttle as necessary, other than that, im out

forgie
11th June 2007, 08:35 PM
What programs are you using normally? Does it happen when you look at websites that have Flash in them? (this includes most online video)

If your CPU is being used heavily, the fan will kick in. If you install iStat Menus you'll be able to see how much CPU is being used at any time.

Apart from that, it could be a hardware thing.... if your heatsink assembly is somehow borked or there is dirt/dust in your fan vents, that could be making your fan run more often.

sanjay
11th June 2007, 08:42 PM
very odd, my G3 ibook rarely sees the fan kicking in, and if it does, i can barely hear it.

i guess thats what happens when youre used to P4 desktop CPUs in notebooks! :p

Byrd
11th June 2007, 08:59 PM
You could get an aerosol can of compressed air to give the sucker a shot, and clean out all the crud. Same goes for your keyboard :)

JB

g3monster
11th June 2007, 09:27 PM
check the activity monitor and check to see if something is eating the CPU cycles

AppleSammy
11th June 2007, 09:50 PM
does the underside of your ibook get hot when the fan is on? or is it on all the time?
Something similar used to happen to a mates PBG4, took it apart and found the heatsink was not sitting properly and was not in contact and needed a fresh application of thermal paste, this resolved his fan issues