PDA

View Full Version : no dock needed for iPhone

LarryH
11th June 2007, 05:33 PM
In the keynote where Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone, he said how you can sync it with iTunes. It then showed the iPhone in a iPod-style Dock. In the iPhone commercials circling the web at the moment, there is a bluetooth icon in the corner of the iPhone screen. All new macs and even the 3 year old PowerBook I own has bluetooth. You don't need a dock if the iPhone has bluetooth. The iPhone comes with a dock, it should be a optional extra (If you have a computer without bluetooth.) I can actually see why you would need a dock for PCs (Not many have bluetooth) Steve Jobs would have got much more applause if he announced that it had bluetooth and it could wirelessly interact with your computer or other bluetooth headsets or mobile phones.

iPirate
11th June 2007, 05:36 PM
He needed to leave something for WWDC? No point telling everything until you actually release it.

For a very short period I actually hoped it might be compatible with iPod docks, but we'll see what's what later.

And welcome to Mactalk AU, on behalf of the people who have been members for longer than I.

The Architect.mac
11th June 2007, 05:49 PM
you need the dock to charge and sync with itunes i reckon...

bluetooth will let you sync your address book and contact data much like iSync does for bluetooth phones now...

areal
11th June 2007, 05:56 PM
Wireless power hasn't been invented yet.

Oh, wait. Yes it has (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070607171130.htm).

forgie
11th June 2007, 06:00 PM
In the keynote where Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone, he said how you can sync it with iTunes. It then showed the iPhone in a iPod-style Dock. In the iPhone commercials circling the web at the moment, there is a bluetooth icon in the corner of the iPhone screen. All new macs and even the 3 year old PowerBook I own has bluetooth. You don't need a dock if the iPhone has bluetooth. The iPhone comes with a dock, it should be a optional extra (If you have a computer without bluetooth.) I can actually see why you would need a dock for PCs (Not many have bluetooth) Steve Jobs would have got much more applause if he announced that it had bluetooth and it could wirelessly interact with your computer or other bluetooth headsets or mobile phones.
To quote Calculon: "I'm not familiar with the kind of thing I'm seeing!" Is this post just raw conjecture?

Firstly, copying 8GB of songs/movies over BT could get really annoying... but hopefully full BT syncing will be an option. Also, you will still need to charge the thing - so a charging dock could come in handy, sync or no-sync.

Secondly, didn't he show off a BT headset MADE BY APPLE in the keynote? That would tend to imply that it not only had bluetooth, but could operate with a bluetooth headset (like virtually every other phone on the market today).

:confused:

The Architect.mac
11th June 2007, 06:09 PM
i also remember the headset sitting in the dock to charge, i think...

MacMatt
11th June 2007, 06:19 PM
I believe you will need the dock, cable to sync and charge, ... via bluetooth, i foresee that you will only be able to do limited file transfer and device management like wireless headset etc. just like bluetooth phones today.

You will not be able to sync your iTunes content via bluetooth at all...

my understanding...

Alec Fraser
11th June 2007, 06:26 PM
Forgie and The Architect are both right. Also it might be worth noting that I and several other people I know have consistently had problems when moving large files to and from our phones via bluetooth...I really wouldn't want to try and sync to iTunes that way. Contacts and calendar items are fine.

Being able to sync over the wireless would be good...but that's highly unlikely also.

Sorry mate, I think you're grasping at straws with this topic.

icant
11th June 2007, 06:37 PM
Would be nice to be able to use the Apple BT keyboard.

Danamania
11th June 2007, 06:49 PM
All new macs and even the 3 year old PowerBook I own has bluetooth. You don't need a dock if the iPhone has bluetooth. The iPhone comes with a dock, it should be a optional extra (If you have a computer without bluetooth.)

Being able to charge the phone from the computer would be useful - not to mention not all Macs come with bluetooth/wireless standard in order to sync.

Dana

melted.marsbar
11th June 2007, 07:01 PM
Would it not be possible for the iPhone to sync to a computer if they're on the same WiFi network? (I'm sure iTunes would be able to hide the messy side of this from the user...)

forgie
11th June 2007, 07:14 PM
Would it not be possible for the iPhone to sync to a computer if they're on the same WiFi network? (I'm sure iTunes would be able to hide the messy side of this from the user...)
It's technically possible, but it'd be real pain to sort out the security/communications issues with this arrangement. It would be the ideal arrangement when you think about it..... we'll see in the coming weeks I guess.

Alec Fraser
11th June 2007, 07:17 PM
It's technically possible, but it'd be real pain to sort out the security/communications issues with this arrangement. It would be the ideal arrangement when you think about it..... we'll see in the coming weeks I guess.

Theoretically you could pair it to an iTunes library the same way that the Apple TV pairs with an iTunes library. Still, a dock would be so much simpler.