PDA

View Full Version : Mail seems to be very slow sometimes

gehenna
11th June 2007, 10:19 AM
Hi there,
I connect to my office over a pptp connection. Mail is configured to connect to my exchange server at work. When i open the app the new mail downloads quickly and appears straight away, i can quite often view preview pane details immediately after clicking on a message - thats no bother at all.

BUT, often when I choose to reply to a message, or open a message by double clicking it, the beach ball appears and it takes up to 2 minutes for the message to appear in its window, or for the reply window to appear. sometimes a message saying "loading message data" appears and stays for up to 2 minutes.

any ideas what could be causing this? i'm reluctant to think its lag or anything, i can get my mail from my windows laptop and outlook over ipsec vpn immediately with no delays in opening or replying?

help
ta.

tcn33
11th June 2007, 10:22 AM
It may not be related to your connection or Exchange, as I get something similar. Does it just happen the first or second time you reply to/open an email and then everything's okay?

gehenna
11th June 2007, 10:28 AM
quite right, once it's done it once every subsequent message opens up instantly.

tcn33
11th June 2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I have never been able to figure out what it is and why it happens. I just have five POP accounts and 1 IMAP (.Mac) that get checked at startup, no VPN, nothing out of the ordinary.

There was some prior discussion (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=29058) of this issue which unfortunately didn't yield anything for me, perhaps you'll have better luck.

chris
11th June 2007, 11:44 AM
I have the same problem - 1st e-mail I click on to respond to is slow. Than no problem after that.

Seemed to happen after an update about six months ago.

Linux_insidev2
11th June 2007, 11:48 AM
It's possible that when it says "loading message data" it's telling the truth.

I know that on Lotus the email doesn't fully load until you open it, it's probably pulling down data from the server.

tcn33
13th June 2007, 07:48 PM
Hey gehenna, have you noticed this issue change/disappear after installing Safari 3? I still get it the first time I reply to something, but it only takes five or ten seconds to clear instead of 30 seconds to a minute.

gehenna
13th June 2007, 10:03 PM
It's possible that when it says "loading message data" it's telling the truth.

I know that on Lotus the email doesn't fully load until you open it, it's probably pulling down data from the server.

that doesnt explain why it works in outlook on the same machine using the same pptp connection sorry.

gehenna
13th June 2007, 10:04 PM
Hey gehenna, have you noticed this issue change/disappear after installing Safari 3? I still get it the first time I reply to something, but it only takes five or ten seconds to clear instead of 30 seconds to a minute.

nope just tested and the fault remains. sigh.

glenmorrow
16th September 2007, 05:49 PM
Hi all,
Just bringing this thread back to life to see if anyone has any resolution. I've noticed this happens (that Mail is very slow) when attaching files by dragging and ropping them onto emails - it sits there for a minute or two then works fine. The attachments are just word docs, nothing huge.

Any ideas?

Does some database file need rebuilding or something?

Cheers,
Glen