PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Studio 2

Peter Wells
10th June 2007, 01:15 PM
i'm preparing my little puty to install Final Cut Studio 2 today. i'm actually quite scared, cos the upgrade to fcp4.5 destroyed 2 projects i was working on back in the day. but i've cleared the video decks, backed up, and i''m ready.

anyone else here played with it yet? initial thoughts?

OziMac
10th June 2007, 01:42 PM
What's the puty?

I'm currently having a toy around with it, but to be honest, it feels pretty much the same as FCS 1 so far. Haven't had a chance to give Color a whirl yet though.

Peter Wells
10th June 2007, 04:23 PM
c2d macbook 2gig ram. color is all im really excited to play with, and to see what extras have been added to compressor.

OziMac
10th June 2007, 04:28 PM
Just out of interest - 15 inch or 17? Glossy or matte? I'm thinking of upgrading to one...

Arkhum_Eramak
10th June 2007, 05:08 PM
I'm getting my copy later this week. Should be basically more of the same.

Have you seen how well SmoothCam works? Its amazing!

Peter Wells
10th June 2007, 05:10 PM
Just out of interest - 15 inch or 17? Glossy or matte? I'm thinking of upgrading to one...

nah macbook, no pro. 13 inches of pure glossy...

i keep avoiding installing. Its weird, i'm never normally like this with mac software, but fcp is really kinda important to me. hmmm, i this my cats kitty litter needs changing, but after that, i'll install.

Peter Wells
10th June 2007, 05:15 PM
I'm getting my copy later this week. Should be basically more of the same.

Have you seen how well SmoothCam works? Its amazing!

http://www.scottsimmons.tv/blog/2007/06/01/smoothcam-is-smooth-but-slow/#more-561

yeah, 14hr render smooth! to be fair, i had a boris plugin that produced amazingly smooth results too, and its render time was about the same.

Arkhum_Eramak
10th June 2007, 05:23 PM
Does depend on the codec - you'll notice the longest renders were all done with HDV 1080, which has a 14 frame GOP - so inefficiency will be the name of that game regardless. You'll have to let us know how well it all runs, and slightly more interestingly - whether Color will allow you to install it.
Anyways, I wouldn't hold back. Just make copies of your projects, if things go haywire, revert back to FCP 5 and use the backed up FCP5 versions of the projects. No harm done (except the laborious install time).

Peter Wells
10th June 2007, 07:26 PM
ok, so i installed just the apps to begin with -remarkably painless-, i'll install all the media when i've got my external hard drive with me..

first very brief thoughts.

fcp took ages to boot up first time round. i noticed a couple of weird things float by on the flash screen "installing effect: cloud" for instance. couldnt be bothered checking it all out but it looks like nothing much has changed there. the second boot was very quick though, considering the amout of plugins i've got.

the one thing i'm really excited about is the fact that fcp is promising to playback any different format on the one timeline, and only think about rendring after. kind of like real time effects taken to the next level.

color was pretty damn ugly, which is a shame.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8039/picture1yj7.png

i've got bugger all media to test it with so thats all i can offer. but what with the os9 folder icons? and the shitty font. looks like his steveness didnt get a chance to spend much time with it before it shipped.

dvdsp has not changed AT ALL as far as i can see. fair enough too. when i first used fcp, it was version 3. back then, dvdsp was just a twinkle in a programmers eye. "print to video" was the most important feature in fcp. but i cant remember the last time i printed to video. everyone just wanted dvds, and dvdsp stepped in and replace it. now, everyone still wants a dvd, but they also want a web version, a 3gp version, a streaming version etc etc. while hd and bluray fight it out, no one cares, and everyone just wants a standard def dvd. so its fair that dvdsp hasnt changed.

soundtrack pro. man, that has improved so much. i was almost in tears playing with the new features. more on that later.

compressor. even better than soundtrack in how much its changed. they grow up so quick...

motion. does fuck all without the media. so i cant tell you more til tuesday.

anyhoo. i'm pretty happy. after the intial slow boot, all the apps sprang into action SO FAST. on my puty atleast, when i launch the new version of photoshop, i've got enough time to make a coffee and have a cigarette while the splash screen tells me all the people responsible for it. color, compressor, motion, and soundtrack all load within 5 seconds from first click. fcp takes about 20 secs, but again, i have shit loads of plugins that fcp has to verify.

my initial impression: if you know anyone at all that does anything with video, and they're still on a pc, punch them in the face and tell them to buy a mac with fcp.