PDA

View Full Version : Changing Icons to apply to all files of that type

Flinders1231
10th June 2007, 11:35 AM
I have changed an icon by copy/past to a particular file type - but how do I apply this icon to all files of this file type?

Any suggestions appreciated.

iPirate
10th June 2007, 12:02 PM
Changing the default icns files in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/

That is the best way to do that (IMO).

Edit: If you have not dealt with bundles before, you will have to right-click or control-click on the bundle and select "show contents". Otherwise OS X will ask for an application to open it.

marc
10th June 2007, 12:12 PM
Do you want to change the look of the icon, or what program opens when you double click it?

rtc
10th June 2007, 12:18 PM
either use ipirate's suggestion or you will have to modify the application package that you want it to open with.

sadly osx has gone a bit the way of the pc world, and bundle bits are not true to form any more they can be overtaken by extension mapping.

copying and pasting an icon makes a custom icon for that file individually, unrelated to the icon displayed for other similar files.

Flinders1231
10th June 2007, 09:22 PM
Just to elaborate; yes I want to change the files for all files of a certain type - ie pdf or doc.

The reason this has become an issue I am using Parallels & files on my iMac are "white rectangles" where they are to be used by an application within Parallels.

It is not feasible to place a new icon within each file or blank icon space.