PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Fever Grips the U.S.

Joe90
10th June 2007, 10:04 AM
READ THE NEWS ARTICLE HERE (http://www.theage.com.au/news/phones--pdas/iphone-fever-grips-the-us/2007/06/08/1181089299120.html?page=2)

Apple has not yet sold a single iPhone, but investors are driving up the company's shares to record highs as they bank that the combined telephone and media player will be a major hit.

Skeptics say the product's success is far from guaranteed, noting concerns over the lofty $US500-$US600 price tag, lack of a keyboard, and the fact that it is restricted to use on AT&T's mobile network.

Whatever the uncertainties, most analysts agree the iPhone is Apple's most significant new product since the iPod launched in late 2001.

I just want to see Telstra's propogandists eat humble pie. Better still, my consumer johnson!

dolbinau
10th June 2007, 10:45 AM
"most analysts agree the iPhone is Apple's most significant new product since the iPod launched in late 2001."

:-/, Meh. It's good, but it isn't that good.

MrJesseRoss
10th June 2007, 10:51 AM
"most analysts agree the iPhone is Apple's most significant new product since the iPod launched in late 2001."

Well, it is pretty significant. Just about everything Apple's released since '01 has been a revision on something older. Their computers are nothing new, they're just constantly revised versions of the same basic structures.

The iPhone is something completely new for Apple. They haven't done mobile phones before. I'd say that's significant.

Tiprya
10th June 2007, 10:54 AM
I don't know. I don't need a high end phone, but those ads show it off so well, it looks to do everything so smoothly - I can see why everyone thinks its going to be so popular

I just want that iPod functionality - hopefully we won't have to wait too long for a full screen iPod

OziMac
10th June 2007, 11:14 AM
Here's hoping it can be hacked/unlocked soon - otherwise I'm going Pearl. :(

Johnny Appleseed
10th June 2007, 11:14 AM

Actually it's probably the most important product in Apple's history. Many more people use mobile phones than music players, and portable & wireless is the computing way of the future, so Apple is well on the way to dominating it - with OS X no less.

Linux_insidev2
10th June 2007, 11:26 AM
I absolutely love it when the skeptics say it doesn't have any keyboard!

Jazarus
10th June 2007, 11:29 AM
I read an article that said even Apple Executives are worried that the iPhone hype monster has grown beyond their control and may cause some headaches down the line.

Remember this is a revision A product and more than likely will have some minor imperfections here and there that may not live up to the tremendous hype its generated e.g unresponsive controls, higher than average learning curve towards manual operation and I read somewhere that it doesn't do mms?

Also I have a feeling that people may get the impression that the iPhone does GPS, No, it doesnt, it only has Google maps.

http://www.blavish.com/apple-execs-reveal-iphone-anxiety/

MrJesseRoss
10th June 2007, 11:34 AM
Jazarus, yes, I'd agree that the hype has probably grown way out of proportions. I'd say that there'll be a lot of people disappointed with the iPhone, but that will be because they're expecting it to stop world poverty.

I suppose this is one of the reasons why Apple keeps things secret. If there's no overblown hype, there'll be less complaining.

Granny Smith
10th June 2007, 12:16 PM
Jazarus, yes, I'd agree that the hype has probably grown way out of proportions. I'd say that there'll be a lot of people disappointed with the iPhone, but that will be because they're expecting it to stop world poverty.

I suppose this is one of the reasons why Apple keeps things secret. If there's no overblown hype, there'll be less complaining.

So here's hoping they rush out and buy one, get disappointed, and we can cruise along behind them picking up barely-used iPhones at half price ... !

melted.marsbar
10th June 2007, 12:37 PM
So here's hoping they rush out and buy one, get disappointed, and we can cruise along behind them picking up barely-used iPhones at half price ... !

Now, those are the true words of a genius :p

Joe90
10th June 2007, 02:10 PM
I absolutely love it when the skeptics say it doesn't have any keyboard!

Even if it did they would move on to the next whinge. :rolleyes:

mechcon
10th June 2007, 02:47 PM
considering that when the iphones will come out in australia in early 2008, who knows what additional things will be made/put into it by then?

tintinaujapon
10th June 2007, 03:09 PM
I think I posted about the same article.

I'm looking forward to $160 per share.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=32218

dolbinau
10th June 2007, 03:38 PM
Well, it is pretty significant. Just about everything Apple's released since '01 has been a revision on something older. Their computers are nothing new, they're just constantly revised versions of the same basic structures.

The iPhone is something completely new for Apple. They haven't done mobile phones before. I'd say that's significant.

I guess, I just see it as a phone though and feel their Mac business is much more important :P.