PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past.

bartron
9th June 2007, 11:08 PM
Where OS X started...MacWorld 2000

It's interesting watching these knowing what we know now about OS X (the secret double life and all that) and seeing the humble beginnings of our favourite OS.

Part 1
Ko4V3G4NqII

Part 2
6-fkYFV7rOY

Part 3
2GkoAa5718Y

tintinaujapon
9th June 2007, 11:26 PM
I remember being awake at 3am or something ridiculous in my Kawasaki apartment, watching a jerky ISDN stream of that on my PowerMac 4400. Seems like yesterday...

Disko
10th June 2007, 12:10 AM
thanks for posting this bartron. :thumbup:

iPirate
10th June 2007, 12:12 AM
Firstly, thanks for those. Nice to see a bit of history that I missed.

Secondly, is this menu function a new feature to youtube? It looks rather similar to the dock effect as you scroll through related videos, could this be in some way to do with content being reformatted for the AppleTV?

And thirdly, does anyone know of a way for me to access the videos I have obviously downloaded to a temporary directory for viewing in Safari? I know they are flv files, and I know I can download them by option-clicking them in the activity window, but I don't want to have to wait for it to download twice.

And lastly, should i post some of these questions in a new thread?

bartron
10th June 2007, 12:25 AM
thanks for posting this bartron. :thumbup:

Not a prob...I thought it was fitting since his Steveness will be demoing a beta of leopard in a few days...though t I might check out what the demo was like for 10.0

iMic
10th June 2007, 12:42 AM
Secondly, is this menu function a new feature to youtube? It looks rather similar to the dock effect as you scroll through related videos, could this be in some way to do with content being reformatted for the AppleTV?

That's a feature of the new player, the ability to jump to related videos quickly. Just happens they've used the dock appearance for it.

Anyway, I saw these videos not long ago and thought I would find my old Mac OS X Public Beta CD... haven't fixed the Beige G3 yet though so I can't install it.

Finally, what happened to the "one application at a time" mode, where you click a dock icon and the other apps zoom down into the dock? Was it pulled from the finished product?

sanjay
10th June 2007, 12:54 AM
blimey, i remember reading all these magazine articles based on this mysterious new OS, OS X, 7 years ago. everyone was blown away, and the first time i actually used it, it was mind boggling.

just remember what windows 2000 looked like back then, and then imagine OS X coming into the fore.

the most pathetic and embarassing thing is however, that OS X worked with all that eye candy with only 64mb of RAM - and yet a laptop with a mobility radeon 9000 IGP, 3ghz processor and 1gb of ram is somehow not good enough to run windows vista's aero inteface. and lets face it, the only thing aero provides now that OS X didnt 7 years ago is dreamscene (the source of all my blue screens before i pissed it off) and that 3d window tiling thing. which i guess theyve programmed into the latest iteration of OS X anyway...

that said, the font he used in his keynote back in 2000...very 90s. looked like a bloody kids presentation...and what was with the dude in the terrible jacket coming out and having a great time praising apple? macromedia CEO? youd think he'd dress up for the occasion :p

bartron
10th June 2007, 08:52 AM
Finally, what happened to the "one application at a time" mode, where you click a dock icon and the other apps zoom down into the dock? Was it pulled from the finished product?

Not to mention that dragging things from the dock just dumped them on your desktop. I guess that's what happens when you demo a product a year before release. All the control p[anels were pretty basic too. No doubt it was a hacked together version for the keynote but boy, things have changed.

Funny thing is, if you could go back in time and demo something like Exposť at the same time, it would fit right in.

Bartron

sanjay
10th June 2007, 11:36 AM
just as an aside, its been 7 years since OS X was announced...when will we see mac os XI?

iPirate
10th June 2007, 12:16 PM
"OS XI" just sounds weird. I'm sure they plan on putting off having to change from the cooler "OS X" as long as they can.

I just hope that long time in the future, when OS XII is to be superceded, that Apple don't be all superstitious and do an OS XIV and skip OS XIII (like how Microsoft is skipping Office v. 13).

rtc
10th June 2007, 12:22 PM
If apple were smart alecs (like me) they'd call the next revision "OS Y" (to follow on from X). They would then have a massive "switch" campaign something like: "Mac OS. Why?" and then list the reasons why it sh|ts all over the competition. "That's why!".

Apple if you're listening, I've actually made a mental note of the date of this post, and I know you've got deep pockets, so I'll be wanting kudos later...

MrJesseRoss
10th June 2007, 12:55 PM
Well, in vid 3 there, he said that they were laying the foundations for the next decade of Mac operating systems (or something to that effect). So XI would, theoretically, come after 2010.

mechcon
10th June 2007, 01:06 PM
ktTNcj0fAM4
First intro to Expose :D

Peter Wells
10th June 2007, 01:12 PM
i love those old steve vids, but i always wonder "when the fuck what that font cool?"

rtc
10th June 2007, 01:12 PM
Hmmm that's an interesting collection of pictures he's got of big cats there... did I spot a LIONESS?

I guess if you think about it, ELEVEN comes after two thousand and TEN.

SUrely though, OS 11 will be out sometime late in 2009 or early in 2010, or they'll miss the boat if they wait for the year and version to line up properly...

zbaron
10th June 2007, 01:20 PM
These bring back so many memories. I managed to get a hold of Mac OS X DR3 (I think) and have run it ever since. Even running on production network management hosts!