PDA

View Full Version : Transferring music from Ipod to PC

Ford
19th January 2005, 02:06 AM
Connect your ipod to your usb cable or firewire. Open windows explorer. (obviously you should have enabled your ipod for external disk use).

windows explorer - > folder options -> view tab -> show hidden files and folders

You should see a file now (that WAS hidden) called iPod_Control. Open it and then open the file 'music'. You should see a whole heap of files named F00, F01, F02 etc. These all contain your music files, which you can copy onto your computer hardrive.

I dont know if this is common knowledge but I've heard of a whole heap of ripping programs. Any reason people use the programs and dont do it the way I just said?

Exocet
19th January 2005, 02:54 AM
The ripping programs just categorise it better, as that system the tracks are placed randomly throughout the directory, and it can take quite some time to find the song you want.

cemil
19th January 2005, 07:01 AM
Yeah, the ripping utilities definitely make it easier. I've liked PodUtil, but YMMV.

-Cemil

Phillip
19th January 2005, 01:55 PM
What I don't know about this folders thing is "How the hell does Apple Manage my music???" - not by artists, not by song, and not by album it would seem.

snax
19th January 2005, 02:10 PM
By computer. They aren't always logical ;).