PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] iPhone specs leaked

tcn33
9th June 2007, 10:30 AM
MacRumors.com (http://www.macrumors.com) claims to have obtained the specifications (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/08/apples-iphone-specs-and-requirements/) for the iPhone.

Of particular note (if accurate) is confirmation that the iPhone does have a removable SIM card.

Joe90
9th June 2007, 10:36 AM
The ads look great but I'd be letting a generation or 2 evolve before buying in. The carrot for me is Megapixels and 2 don't quite cut it.

Rasta
9th June 2007, 10:46 AM
So is this thing going to be able to run any program you have on your desktop right now?

I mean, I have stuff that would be gold for work, but I can't put it on my current palm.

Could I just use the install CD and install the programs to an iPhone so I have use of it at the bedside?

(i.e. laptop in a pocket type thing?)

Currawong
9th June 2007, 10:46 AM
For the shots that I take with a phone, 2mp is fine. You need a pretty chunky phone camera to get 3mp - even most Japanese phones are chunky still.

I'll be happy to get the phone next year in Japan, after it's had a couple of revision upgrades. Good things come to those who wait. ;)

tcn33
9th June 2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, logically I'm in the same boat. I think we'll probably benefit from getting the 2nd or 3rd revision.

On the other hand, every time I see the damn thing all that logic goes out the window and all I can think is "GIMME!"

Alec Fraser
9th June 2007, 10:50 AM
So is this thing going to be able to run any program you have on your desktop right now?

Nope, it's not. It's a cut down version of OS X, with a custom interface so it'll only run apps designed for use with that interface. Rumor has it there'll be a 3rd party developer kit announced at WWDC, but for now only Apple created apps will be usable on the phone.

Joe90
9th June 2007, 10:54 AM
On the other hand, every time I see the damn thing all that logic goes out the window and all I can think is "GIMME!"

:D Aint that the truth!

asphotos
9th June 2007, 11:01 AM
my n73 at 3 megapixels takes no better a picture than my n95 at 5mp..

the nokia 6110 navigator at 2mp is crappy however.. im testing this atm.

if it has some focusing ability, 2mp is fine..

Joe90
9th June 2007, 11:09 AM
I had an N90 and it took very nice images. but the effective print size at 300 DPI is 10x13 which isn't my art. I publish in mags. Poster size at around A3 and I have very litle room to crop on 12.8 Megapixels.

I like big big big! :D

I should add that a personal camera [pocket camera] for me needs to print higher than a 2MP image.

asphotos
9th June 2007, 11:18 AM
an iphone isnt a camera, dont confuse convergance with 1 item does all..

its a happy snap camera for those drunk mates pics at the pub, and (on the 3g version) video calling, at 64kbps data rate, not a canon 1dmk2.

OziMac
9th June 2007, 11:24 AM
I tend to agree with asphotos -

tcn - what kind of use do you make of the camera in your phone that makes its quality such an issue? :)

Joe90
9th June 2007, 11:31 AM

tcn - what kind of use do you make of the camera in your phone that makes its quality such an issue? :)

If I may indulge,some small phones take excellent images. I just want to be able to have the flexibility to print the larger. I travel long distances on my bike [bicycle] and weight is everything. In 3 weeks I land in Prague and will cycle to Berlin, Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris and London and as such have to carry more weight than I'd like to achieve my own digital objectives. This is my lifestyle and weight is everything. I will look at every gram for a weight saving. Being able to achieve better results and save on weight is paramount.

marc
9th June 2007, 11:32 AM
...and a phone as a camera is always going to have a small (ie. crappy) lens and CCD. You could have 20mp and it wouldn't help.

mechcon
9th June 2007, 11:34 AM
I'll look forward to the iphone the day that it arrives in australia. as I'm sure by then it'll be revised due to the up and coming bugs that our american guineapigs will encounter :)

marc
9th June 2007, 11:35 AM
"GSM - Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)"

Does that mean we can use it in Aus?

mechcon
9th June 2007, 11:38 AM
technically, yes! :)

Joe90
9th June 2007, 11:40 AM
...and a phone as a camera is always going to have a small (ie. crappy) lens and CCD. You could have 20mp and it wouldn't help.

Always? What are the tattslotto numbers tonight?

marc
9th June 2007, 11:40 AM
Excellent. Let the saving begin.

marc
9th June 2007, 11:45 AM
Always? What are the tattslotto numbers tonight?
Well... if you want the phone to fit in your pocket, then it has to have a small lens. Big lens = big size. There's not really any way around that. Maybe eventually there will be a new tech that closes the gap, but for now that's how it stands.

I don't think anyone would really argue about that...

tcn33
9th June 2007, 11:54 AM

Actually that was Joe90 who said the 2mp camera was a deal breaker. But since you ask, I do have a SE K800 precisely because it has a 3.2mp camera, which enabled me to get rid of my Canon PowerShot A75.

Joe90
9th June 2007, 11:56 AM
Well... if you want the phone to fit in your pocket, then it has to have a small lens. Big lens = big size. There's not really any way around that. Maybe eventually there will be a new tech that closes the gap, but for now that's how it stands.

I don't think anyone would really argue about that...

Goddamitt I'm obsessed with size! :D

This is a huge image I took at Avalon. I want my camera phone to do this!

http://www.rickbryan.com.au/images/76014659.tAAv4NoM.Eagle_Burner.jpg

spilla
9th June 2007, 11:58 AM
It still doesn't tell us how much standby battery life we can expect. :(

tcn33
9th June 2007, 11:59 AM
This is a huge image I took at Avalon.
That is a jaw-droppingly cool photo.

marc
9th June 2007, 11:59 AM
Goddamitt I'm obsessed with size! :D
"iMac 24 . 2.33GHz . 2GB . 500GB"

Hahha. Looks like you are!

Awesome shot! Do you really think any current phone will be capable of something like that?

Joe90
9th June 2007, 12:09 PM
"iMac 24 . 2.33GHz . 2GB . 500GB"

Hahha. Looks like you are!

Awesome shot! Do you really think any current phone will be capable of something like that?

Na - I used some heavy duty gear for that. I'm an obsessive minimalist and poking fun at myself. Although I have been eyeing up a Canon 1Ds MarkII. ;) :D

OziMac
9th June 2007, 01:12 PM
Na - I used some heavy duty gear for that. I'm an obsessive minimalist and poking fun at myself. Although I have been eyeing up a Canon 1Ds MarkII. ;) :D

Damn, none of my Avalon photos are that amazing - you have to tell us what gear you used to do that. :)

gilligan911
9th June 2007, 02:29 PM
The A T & T training book for the iPhone has been leaked to macrumors.com. Lots of detail on the operation and features of the iPhone.

Link here. (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/08/iphone-details-from-atandts-sales-training-workbook/)

tcn33
9th June 2007, 02:58 PM
And the howls of "no MMS? WTF?" begin in 5...4...3...

[MREVO8]
9th June 2007, 03:04 PM
I honestly think the iPhone is for me.

I hate all these "extras" everyone is putting in to phones these days. If I wanted MMS quality audio, pictures and video - I would just browse an archive of the Internet from 1995.

The only extra bits that interest me are the email and random access voicemail. Other than that, I just want to make and receive audio only calls.

Jazarus
9th June 2007, 03:06 PM
thats a pretty bad leak if its real,
on the google maps section on scan 1 it's got
":thumbup: How Google Maps sell iPhones"
And proceeds to instruct sales people how to really up-sell the iPhone using the google maps feature as bait.

Hamsmyth
9th June 2007, 03:18 PM
;305581']I honestly think the iPhone is for me.

I hate all these "extras" everyone is putting in to phones these days. If I wanted MMS quality audio, pictures and video - I would just browse an archive of the Internet from 1995.

The only extra bits that interest me are the email and random access voicemail. Other than that, I just want to make and receive audio only calls.

I agree with all of that.

For me I would also add having the iPod included in the same device would be a huge convenience.

I just switched back to using my old nokia 5110 because my mororolla V3 is damaged, and to be honest I dont miss any features because all I do is make/recieve calls and send text messages.

I could see myself using the net on the iPhone eg internet banking on the run etc. That also appleals to me.

As far as MMS goes I dont even know how to use it on my V3 - somehow it needs to be set up with telstra or something...waste of time IMO.

MrJesseRoss
9th June 2007, 03:28 PM
I like the ability to sync bookmarks between the PC and iPhone. Very handy indeed.

marc
9th June 2007, 03:40 PM
Who needs MMS when you have email?

macsyd
9th June 2007, 03:48 PM

Because the intended recipient may not have email on their phone.

Joe90
9th June 2007, 04:02 PM
Does it cook breakfast? Minimum specs says 2 eggs, bacon and a muffin. I'll probably wait till they come out with beans and hash browns.

Seriously though, could you say blog from this phone? Excuse my lack of savvy but I own a Razr. :)

conufsed
9th June 2007, 04:23 PM
I don't see how this will be an issue, if you have a non mms capable phone and get sent a mms, you get an sms message saying to go to the carriers website to retrieve it. Painful, but then again I don't care as I have only ever recieved about 3 MMS in my life

tcn33
9th June 2007, 04:26 PM
I personally could care less about MMS, I'm just predicting it will the source of grumbling.

It wouldn't surprise me if the iPhone leads to more mobile carriers providing email addresses for customers that receive email and convert it to an MMS (some US carriers already do this).

marc
9th June 2007, 05:15 PM
I have only ever recieved about 3 MMS in my life
That's about 2 more than me.

I'll just be happy with a good phone that's has a decent wifi browser. Don't really care about the other stuff.

mechcon
9th June 2007, 05:27 PM
besides, anyone can recieve an "sms" as such, if your phone aint compatible, you'll recieve an sms instead with a URL plus a username/password to view the mms, so its not the end of the world :)

silverdreamer
9th June 2007, 05:33 PM
This is interesting!
:D :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXNoB3t8vM&mode=related&search=

Joe90
9th June 2007, 05:47 PM
That's funny.

Currawong
9th June 2007, 08:52 PM
Merged the 2,984,208 threads started by people letting us know that iPhone details have been leaked. ;P

silverdreamer
9th June 2007, 09:01 PM
Merged the 2,984,208 threads started by people letting us know that iPhone details have been leaked. ;P

Did you even bother to watch it? not really the same thread at all, deserves its own thread you spoilsport!:confused: :p

Currawong
9th June 2007, 11:29 PM
Someone already posted it, but I thought it would add to this thread more, if that makes any sense.

I don't really see the big deal about the exact iPhone details being leaked - they aren't really, just some marketing material for it has started reaching people outside of Apple and someone has started sharing it. Nothing that special.

silverdreamer
9th June 2007, 11:39 PM
whatever:rolleyes:

Febs
9th June 2007, 11:50 PM
No MMS? I'm sorry - I don't care how much you guys use it (or don't), that's a complete joke for a phone of the iPhone's stature.

Honestly, what do they expect - people to log into a website ($$$) every time they receive an MMS? Apple better fix that quick smart, IMO.

A camera phone with a big screen...which can't receive picture messages. I sincerely hope that's fake. If not - :thumbdn::thumbdn::thumbdn::thumbdn::thumbdn:.

Edit: ..and while 2mp is fine for me, it does have a flash, right? I'm not likely to ever replace my digicam with a phone, but I do like to take the odd photo with my phone - usually while out at night.

Arkhum_Eramak
10th June 2007, 12:03 AM
Aww man...when I read iPhone 'specs' I figured this was heading in a CPU - xxxMHz RAM - xxxMb etcetera. That was a little....disappointing. Ah well. No numbers for me...well, not numbers I'm interested in anyways.
If I can jot messages on the iPhone as quickly as I can with my Treo 650, I'm in the market. The last Treo 650 update left me with the $1000 equivalent of a $150 run-of-the-mill phone - I have very average multimedia functionality and Documents to Go crashes if I try to save and auto-corrupts all my files. Worst firmware update ever. So if iPhone can do that one thing for me, I'll be a happy chappy. Word would be nice, but I've learned to live without word on my phone over the last few months.

ethania05
10th June 2007, 01:18 AM
I dont see any new specs on this phone that people have not yet known about. More clicks to their site...shame on them.