PDA

View Full Version : Make your own "Lite" version of Vista for Parallels, VMWare or Bootcamp

Currawong
8th June 2007, 03:03 PM
I've lately been considering having Vista installed as a Bootcamp partition, but don't really consider it worth wasting 8gb just to install 6Gb of printer drivers, Movie Maker and other rubbish. Since programs to strip XP abound, if you're willing to pay for them, I was rather surprised to find vLite (http://vlite.net/) freely available. It's in beta, but seems to work well enough, for a program that's <1mb to download.

Just a note that it didn't work for me well in XP in Parallels, but just now has created a nice ISO for me in my current Vista install.

geektechnu
8th June 2007, 03:48 PM
nLite (their equil. program for making XP discs) really saved me a few weeks back when my PC crashed.

XP needed me to supply SATA RAID drivers for my HDD and DVD-ROM - except I no longer have a floppy drive.

I was able to use nLite inside my Vista+Parallels install to slipstream the drivers into the standard XP disc (and trim down the size of the install at the same time).

Brilliant stuff.

aspro
8th June 2007, 03:57 PM
Hmh, this looks like it should be helpful thanks for letting me on to it :)

Sunnz
8th June 2007, 09:57 PM
Oh, so you need Vista to run vLite, or will XP do?

Currawong
8th June 2007, 11:32 PM
I've had weird issues with it - I only removed printer drivers, speech and movie maker, which are all the biggest space hogs, from the business version and it didn't even end up installing IE. I might have to try again from scratch, as it was my second attempt.

nicwithsticks
9th June 2007, 12:15 AM
nLite is a great product, and really handy when it comes to making an up-to-date Windows install CD and one that includes drivers for your machine.

I haven't got a copy of Vista yet, but I might check out vLite on one of the RC's and see how it goes. Sounds like it's still a bit of a buggy beta, but it's one product a Windows user shouldn't be without - and it's free!

geektechnu
9th June 2007, 12:19 AM
Oh, so you need Vista to run vLite, or will XP do?vLite (and nLite) both work on XP or Vista.

Sunnz
9th June 2007, 01:20 AM
vLite (and nLite) both work on XP or Vista.

Goood, I won't have enough space for Vista and will need vLite to 'shrink' it!! Thanks for the reply.:thumbup: