PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Reaches 100 Degrees Celsius

decryption
7th June 2007, 10:54 PM
Saw this on Mac Rumours: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=307191

Someone's MacBook hit almost 100 degrees Celsius on the CPU temp! Mmm, toasty.

Currawong
7th June 2007, 11:08 PM
I thought that either the machine shut down or the CPU's dropped their processing ability when they got very hot. This contradicts that if true.

Sambo
7th June 2007, 11:47 PM
mines at a nice 66 right now. But seriously that guy should cook something, or at least boil some water, damn.

bel.plews
8th June 2007, 12:19 AM
just got my macbook delivered today! yah!!!
.... such a sweet laptop :)

But it is really hot underneath when sitting with it on my lap, that i have to put something between me and it. I have installed the temperature widet, and its reading 59 degrees.

This is way hotter than my old iBook :confused:

... and what's with the 'glossy' screen?

chrism238
8th June 2007, 12:53 AM
But it is really hot underneath when sitting with it on my lap, that i have to put something between me and it. I have installed the temperature widet, and its reading 59 degrees.

... and what's with the 'glossy' screen?Try smcFanControl, via VersionTracker.
Glossy screen? Just as you ordered it, I guess.

samwalk
8th June 2007, 01:09 AM
All macbooks have a glossy screen! A pretty good reason to get the macbook pro instead.

SyncMan
8th June 2007, 04:39 AM
or at least boil some water, damn.

Make a nice cuppa :)

sendai
8th June 2007, 10:04 AM
Saw this on Mac Rumours: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=307191

Someone's MacBook hit almost 100 degrees Celsius on the CPU temp! Mmm, toasty.Yup. Have had a customers one reach 115C or so... the time I spent waiting for it to cool down after I pulled its battery out was one of the longest "hope it's not dead" moments I've experienced...

In addition, during some tests I did when they initially came out (testing how the fans reacted to having one or both heat-sink temperature sensors disconnected,) our demo machine regularly reached 100... it's still going strong :)

macjason0607
8th June 2007, 10:40 AM
buy a friggin cooler thing for you mac ? i never used to believe in the cooler things, but it seems to work al the time, i actually don't have the utility to find out what my temp is but it rarely gets hot

macjason0607

stewiesno1
8th June 2007, 11:50 AM
That MacBook is heading rapidly for a very short life if that guy doesn't get the temps down and pronto. 100C is waay too hot. There is something seriously wrong there - temp sensor broken etc.
Stewie

sanjay
10th June 2007, 12:21 AM
i had an acer aspire 2010 once that got ridiculously hot on the bottom - temp sensors were coming back saying it got up to 90 degrees in gaming (mobility radeon 9700, use it how it was meant to be used!)

- despite cleaning out all the fans etc, the only real way to get this thing pumping at a moderate temperature was to use one of those laptop cooler fan panels.

just be thankful your macbook doesnt have a pentium 4 or the like in it...the days of cramming a desktop P4 into a laptop shouldve been declared a crime.

deang
11th June 2007, 03:28 PM
I'm still deciding whether to get an MB or an MBP. The heat problem has always put me off in getting a new one. It never happened to my old ibooks or powerbooks. The new machine will be on my lap all the time as well. Are the MBPs cooler than the MBs? The MB I was looking at is one of the superseded 2.0GHz C2D white models. The MBP I'm looking at is one of the superseded 2.16GHz models, however for $300 extra I'm starting to think the new baseline MBP might be the go. The heat issue really bugs me. Are the MBPs cooler than the MBs? God I wish they would just make a 13.3 MBP, I loved my old 12.1PB. LOL

grfxninja
11th June 2007, 04:31 PM
According to iStat Nano widget and iStat Menu, my enclosure bottom is at 37 degrees celsius

CPU showing about 95% usage (converting video) and temp is low 70's

This is on a MBP C2D 2.33GHz

So yeah I would say the newer ones run cooler.
My Previous MBP was always around 50ish (enclosure bottom)

Linux_insidev2
11th June 2007, 04:36 PM
I thought that either the machine shut down or the CPU's dropped their processing ability when they got very hot. This contradicts that if true.

You're correct, the CPU would either have been too unstable to operate at all at that temperature, or the thermal fuse should've blown.

shiny
11th June 2007, 05:25 PM
smcFanControl is a great little app, wish I had discovered it before, the highest I have seen my MacBook C2D get is 86 degrees, that was while doing some conversions in iTunes.