PDA

View Full Version : Online Store Cart software

gmask1
4th June 2007, 11:25 PM
I'm setting up an online store for my g/f, and want to get feedback on shopping cart software that others have used. For the time being I've resorted to a product called Zen Cart (http://zen-cart.com/) which seems very good, but I've a feeling that there are better products out there.

Has anyone got any experience with Shopping Cart S/W? Any preferences? And even more usefully, can anyone explain to me how the gateways like eWay work? I don't understand what you pay for, how it connects, and so on.

hawker
5th June 2007, 07:30 AM
I've used both Zen Cart (Open source) and X Cart (Commercial) - both are good, I prefer X Cart, but Zen Cart is a perfect open source alliterative. Just make sure you keep up to date with the software!

Personally, I'd set up paypal as your payment gateway, that way none of the 'money' is handled on your site, thus making your site more secure. The minute you start doing payments on your site etc you need to invest in SSL certificates and so forth!

gmask1
5th June 2007, 08:06 AM
I've used both Zen Cart (Open source) and X Cart (Commercial) - both are good, I prefer X Cart, but Zen Cart is a perfect open source alliterative. Just make sure you keep up to date with the software!

Personally, I'd set up paypal as your payment gateway, that way none of the 'money' is handled on your site, thus making your site more secure. The minute you start doing payments on your site etc you need to invest in SSL certificates and so forth!

Is PayPal something that everyday people know about in this country? This is an online store for a florist, and I'd love to just do PayPal since I know a little about that, but I worry that it will alienate people. Does it have a similar checkout/payment process as the other gateways, and do customers need to have paypal accounts to use it?

hawker
5th June 2007, 08:08 AM
Believe it or not, paypal is pretty big not just in the US but here, many people have paypal accounts that they top up with money. Also you don't need an account, you can pay by credit card as a quick payment option, and you just link it to your paypal account.

Only thing to consider is the fees...