PDA

View Full Version : 3 Mobile Handset Question

decryption
4th June 2007, 08:58 PM
I've got a 3 mobile - but I want a new one. Is it possible to stop paying the phone rental fee (the $10 a month I pay for the phone) and return the phone, but keep the phone service and stick the SIM into a different phone?

purana
4th June 2007, 09:01 PM
Best to ask 3 mobile :P

adamjc
4th June 2007, 09:03 PM
Your probably going to have to pay out the contract, or continue paying for that phone and buy a new phone.

I had a problem with my Telstra Next G mobile with the battery cover going missing. Telstra said I couldn't get a replacement and had to pay out the full contract! :(

Had a look on the net but couldn't find any replacement parts.

decryption
4th June 2007, 09:04 PM
Best to ask 3 mobile :P

Yeah, but I want to know *now* and their call center is probably closed.

thebookfreak58
4th June 2007, 09:05 PM
I've got a 3 mobile - but I want a new one. Is it possible to stop paying the phone rental fee (the $10 a month I pay for the phone) and return the phone, but keep the phone service and stick the SIM into a different phone?

AFIAK, no. You can't return phone's to 3, if you wanted a new phone from them, they might offer you an upgrade deal (depending on your monthly spend and time left on your contract). Or you could pay the rest of the phone off: ie $10 x remaining months, and I *think* you can still keep the service.

But beware, your 3 USIM will only work in a 3G phone (I think there are one or two 2.5G handsets that accept it), and if it's a non-3 branded phone, there may be issues with Planet 3 content (as of DRM, and security certificates etc)

But, best to call them, or even better, go visit a store!

thebookfreak58
4th June 2007, 09:10 PM
Forgot to say, don't think of it as a phone rental, but as a "loan" from 3, they give you a handset, and you pay it off over x months...

Also, I *think again* that the call center is open 24/7.

forgie
4th June 2007, 09:31 PM
I spent an hour in a 3 store today. Let's just say I'm not too happy with them (or my POS Nokia 6280). If you want out of a contract, you have to pay out what you owe in the phone. You usually have an option to "upgrade" to a better/newer phone, for some extra amount per month, which starts you out on a new 12/24 month contract. You get to keep the old phone if you do this.

It's not really renting, it's really paying in instalments.

I'm actually considering buying a pre-paid 3 phone instead of upgrading so I have more contract flexibility.

icant
4th June 2007, 10:22 PM
One of my friends (I know, anecdotal story), dropped her phone into the sea, while traveling in Taiwan (I know...). It was quite a funky Nokia.

Anyway, according to her, 3 put her on a new standard contract. She now has a nice Dopod 810 to play with. Although she can never figure out any of the functions aside from the phone.

She made it sound like 3 was quite flexible in that regard. Maybe they had already made their $ from her, wanted to keep her as a customer, and sell a new product at the same time. I don't know how much time she had left on the old contract.

forgie
4th June 2007, 10:30 PM
One of my friends (I know, anecdotal story), dropped her phone into the sea, while traveling in Taiwan (I know...). It was quite a funky Nokia.

Anyway, according to her, 3 put her on a new standard contract. She now has a nice Dopod 810 to play with. Although she can never figure out any of the functions aside from the phone.

She made it sound like 3 was quite flexible in that regard. Maybe they had already made their $ from her, wanted to keep her as a customer, and sell a new product at the same time. I don't know how much time she had left on the old contract.
They will seemingly bend over backwards if you sign a new contract.... as soon as I said I didn't want another 24 month (!) contract the 3 Store guy wasn't all that intent on helping me.

choy
5th June 2007, 12:18 AM
your 3 Sim will work in an unlocked 3g phone, but NOT in a 2G/2.5G phone. This is the single reason I went with telstra Next G rather than 3 (since I am using my 2G treo with the telstra nextG SIM because the Dopod 838pro I got was the shittiest phone I've ever used).

However, you can't just return their phone without penalty.

Andrew T Chadwick
5th June 2007, 12:39 AM
My "3" sim works alright with my Nokia 5500 but i get full network function with my Nokia n70.

grorr76
5th June 2007, 09:09 AM
have to pay the contract out to get a new phone.

conufsed
5th June 2007, 09:15 AM
You could get lucky like I did, I got a 3 phone when I lived in melbourne (some complete pos motorola), and when I moved up here to Bundaberg, I spend at least 15 mins aruging to with the foreign call center worker that my bill needs to got to a po box, and they keep trying to enter it as a street address. At this stage my bill hadnt been paid, and I said im not paying until they actually start sending me bills. The phone got disconencted, not that I really cared at that stage because it was so unreliable. Never heard from them since about the at least 12 months that were left on my contract. Oh well lucky me (for once)

mechcon
5th June 2007, 10:40 AM
I wanted to go in there, and ask if they've heard any buzz about the iphone in australia w/ three :P but I'd probably go as far as being given the usual "check the web" bizzo...

Jimbo
5th June 2007, 11:37 AM
You could get lucky like I did, I got a 3 phone when I lived in melbourne (some complete pos motorola), and when I moved up here to Bundaberg, I spend at least 15 mins aruging to with the foreign call center worker that my bill needs to got to a po box, and they keep trying to enter it as a street address. At this stage my bill hadnt been paid, and I said im not paying until they actually start sending me bills. The phone got disconencted, not that I really cared at that stage because it was so unreliable. Never heard from them since about the at least 12 months that were left on my contract. Oh well lucky me (for once)

Except if you try to apply for a credit card or home loan and it says on your record that you kick puppies or something :D

Decryption, you could do what i did....

I pay a bit extra on my plan per month but am very happy with my new phone. The extra payments were around 50 bucks all up, i just sold my old phone on ebay for $61
stroke of luck? or pure genius?

Jim.

mac_man_luke
5th June 2007, 12:02 PM
I believe if your 12-18months into your contract they will basically give you another phone if you start the contract over

conufsed
5th June 2007, 12:13 PM
Except if you try to apply for a credit card or home loan and it says on your record that you kick puppies or something :D

So far so good. I usually get a copy of my credit report about once a year. I was really expecting it to have shown up (this was about 3 years ago now), but so far so good :)