PDA

View Full Version : Make a backup of my OSX discs?

IIe2PB
3rd June 2007, 09:04 AM
I know this is going to be a touchy one, so mods delete if you think it's warranted.

Anyway, I'm going on a big trip around Aus and taking our macbook pro with us. It's being used for all sorts of important stuff. Anyway, part of my prep is to back it up, and to take a copy of all software we might need incase something goes wrong. I'd rather not take the originals as there is a chance they might get damaged.

Anyway, I went to back up my osx discs and made a disc image in disk utility. I then went to put it on a DVD and it says "The disc inserted does not have enough free space". It was a standard 4.7GB DVD.

Any ideas?

JimWOz
3rd June 2007, 09:09 AM
The OSX Disc is dual Layer.
The burner is a single layer disc burner.

I discovered this several months ago when I wanted to make a backup copy to carry in my laptop bag.

Find a dual layer burner and copy the DVD with that.

decryption
3rd June 2007, 09:15 AM
Yep, all you need is a Dual Layer DVD.

IIe2PB
3rd June 2007, 09:23 AM
Yep, all you need is a Dual Layer DVD.

Ahh... not a normal DVD. That hadn't even occured to me :o :o

JimWOz
3rd June 2007, 09:23 AM
Decryption, I think unless the MBP is the latest Core2Duo model, or any 17 inch MBP model the burner is only single layer disc capable.

IIe2PB
3rd June 2007, 09:34 AM
Decryption, I think unless the MBP is the latest Core2Duo model, or any 17 inch MBP model the burner is only single layer disc capable.

It's a coreduo2 model luckily :)

JimWOz
3rd June 2007, 09:43 AM
It's a coreduo2 model luckily :)

Great !
Then as Decryption said, all you need is a DL blank disc.
Luckily I have an older machine with a DL burner, so have been able to do it that way.

purana
3rd June 2007, 09:44 AM
Ahh... not a normal DVD

Depends what you consider normal, but DVD's come in many variations. Mostly people use single layer, as they were the most common and cheapest. Not to mention widely supported.