PDA

View Full Version : MacTalk iStat menus semi-public beta

marc
31st May 2007, 11:11 PM
http://islayer.com/images/software/screenshots/istatmenus.jpg

Rules
Do not share the url/file outside mactalk. If anyone breaks the rules the file will be removed and everyone will miss out.
We don't recommend using the beta on a mission critical system (just in case).

iStat menus comes with no warranty so use it at your own risk.

If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, then please let us know. Don't forget to logout or restart if you're updating from an older beta (just like the installer asks you to do).

Get it now (http://islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=123)

Enjoy! :thumbup:

[MREVO8]
31st May 2007, 11:26 PM
Is there an easy way to uninstall it?

iSlayer
31st May 2007, 11:28 PM
;302192']Is there an easy way to uninstall it?

at the moment no but thats one of the things we will sort out before the 1.0

marc
31st May 2007, 11:32 PM
;302192']Is there an easy way to uninstall it?
1. Open up System Preferences and right or control-click on the iStat menus icon. Choose "Remove iStat menus preference pane".

2. Click on the Accounts preference. Go to the Login Items tab. Click the iStat menus helper item then click on the "-" button to remove it.

3. Restart or logout.

You can also delete the preferences files in ~/Library/Preferences/:
- com.iSlayer.iStat menus Updater.plist
- com.iSlayer.iStat.plist
- com.iSlayer.iStatMenusPreferences.plist

And remove the sensor bundle (if you have an Intel Mac and have installed it) in ~/Library/Application Support/iSlayer/iStat:
- iStatMenusSensorsV0.7.bundle

The preferences files and sensors bundle just take up disk space though. Once the pref pane is gone they do nothing.

forgie
31st May 2007, 11:45 PM
Something I've noticed - the pref pane checks what network adapters are available when you actually load the prefpane the first time (presumable when the NIB loads?). This is fine, except that I had wireless switched off before, but wanted to make sure it had its check box turned on in the Network section. I switched airport on, but to get the prefpane to see it I had to close SysPrefs then re-open it. It would be nicer if it could check for adapters whenever the network tab was selected. Not a big deal, but something I noticed....

iSlayer
1st June 2007, 12:06 AM
ill get that sorted before the 1.0 forgie

Galumay
1st June 2007, 07:49 AM
thanks iSlayer, all installed fine on my pooters, made a donation as well to help keep the wheels turning!

iSlayer
1st June 2007, 08:29 AM
thanks iSlayer, all installed fine on my pooters, made a donation as well to help keep the wheels turning!

much appreciated :)

Arkhum_Eramak
1st June 2007, 08:44 AM
This really helps with my workflows, and I've been anticipating any kind of release for a long time. Now that I finally have a PayPal account up and running I'll be sure to donate as soon as I have some spare moolah in the bank.

Great work - no hicoughs so far!

burgessa23
1st June 2007, 11:08 AM
looking good so far. no problems here.

-Andrew

Peter Wells
1st June 2007, 12:52 PM
my donate button doesnt work!

(also, when changing colours of network, it took a few clicks to take)

Peter Wells
1st June 2007, 01:02 PM
a threw a tenner' your way anyway, all i could afford. simply beautiful work boys...

p.s. now include icetv in the menu bar and i can fuck the dashboard off for good.

marc
1st June 2007, 01:42 PM
p.s. now include icetv in the menu bar and i can fuck the dashboard off for good.
We would... but I'm not sure what's planned for the IceTV widget would work in the menubar. It will be good, trust me! ;)

iSlayer
1st June 2007, 01:50 PM
my donate button doesnt work!

Fixed and uploaded. Thanks for the donation aswell

ppops
1st June 2007, 03:28 PM
Fantastic work guys. So so so good!

I am loving it. :)

Galumay
1st June 2007, 05:39 PM
one point i would makein comparison to menu meters is the lack of graphs for the network display.

in menu meters i could monitor the stability of my downloads from usenet by watching the graphs rather than focussing on the actual numbers.

its not a huge deal, i can run menu meters for the network and iStat menus for everything else.

iSlayer
1st June 2007, 05:46 PM
one point i would makein comparison to menu meters is the lack of graphs for the network display.

Wont be in 1.0 but will be in 1.1

Galumay
1st June 2007, 05:56 PM
Wont be in 1.0 but will be in 1.1

ok, thanks - it is a very attractive app. iSlayer. i did find i had to do a bit of pick and choosing with what i display in the menu bar on my 15" PB - too many items for them to all display now!!

another possible idea would be an option to show day and date in your clock interface (as opposed to just the date), then we could remove the day from the default clock and have it just display time with iStat menu displaying day & date on menu bar.

if it were possible to hide the default clock completely then an even better option would be to display time, day & date with iStat menu but i cant see a way to hide the clock completely - seems to be display in menu bar or as a window.

iSlayer
1st June 2007, 06:05 PM
if it were possible to hide the default clock completely then an even better option would be to display time, day & date with iStat menu but i cant see a way to hide the clock completely - seems to be display in menu bar or as a window.

To hide Apple's clock menu extra hold down the command key then drag it off the menubar and release the mouse and it will be gone.

STK
1st June 2007, 06:14 PM
Whooooooooooooooo! Nice one guys!

Remorhaz
1st June 2007, 08:40 PM
Nice - giving it a whirl now - I've replaced my MenuMeters and it's looking good so far.

One suggestion I miss from MenuMeters is that your Network monitor doesn't have a graphing option (like you have for CPU/Memory). Also for the Network drop down pane - it would be good if the primary adapter appeared at the top of the list followed by the next configured adapter and so on - my list is sorted in reverse.

Also it would be nice if you could click something in the CPU drop down pane and it would bring up Activity Monitor (for even further process details).

astr0b0y
1st June 2007, 08:44 PM
Nice - giving it a whirl now - I've replaced my MenuMeters and it's looking good so far.

One suggestion I miss from MenuMeters is that your Network monitor doesn't have a graphing option (like you have for CPU/Memory). Also for the Network drop down pane - it would be good if the primary adapter appeared at the top of the list followed by the next configured adapter and so on - my list is sorted in reverse.

Also it would be nice if you could click something in the CPU drop down pane and it would bring up Activity Monitor (for even further process details).

I agree with Remorhaz's comments on the network interface order shown in the drop down sheet. I believe it should show the same network interface order as the Network System Preferences. I also noticed that it does not list active but disconnected interfaces (such as my built-in ethernet at the moment) nor VPN connections, connected or not.

Keep up the great work.

Sambo
1st June 2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry I haven't asked this in the private beta, forgot about it, but with the clock extra you have in iStat menus, would it be possible to add seconds to it? Then I can have the more powerful clock up instead of the apple one, and then the data icon of iStat menus time and clock. :)

bogo_lode
2nd June 2007, 09:05 AM
Trying the beta, highly impressed, I have a few real comments I suppose.

I notice that the fonts in the menu bar are not antialiased. I'd actually kind of like to have that as an option, or if they actually are antialiased, you should look at the slash on the network meter because it looks pixelated.

and I'd love to see the cpu meter also have a field to display the current speed of the processor (ie like coreduotemp) and possibly have a different font or an option to have 2 lines with each showing the separate cores, love to see the memory meter implement the functionality of rogue amoeba's memory cell, love to see the drive meter implement the ability to eject a drive from the list (ala ejector.app), but the sole real functionality that jumps out at me as missing is a good battery meter. I'm aware of the existence of slimbatterymonitor, but it'd be nice to have an istat menus bit for it.

Love it tho. Most of my complaints are cosmetic with regard to some of the spacing and fonts, but there's nothing glaringly messed up. The cpu meter has the vertical meter placed after the text rather than before it like with graph meter. Currently using the date/time, cpu as vertical, hdd as vertical, memory as vertical, and the network interface. I've tried the text interfaces for all of them, but I don't need detailed information for each one, so this suffices.

Kudos, kudos indeed.

Forgot to mention, the network menu extra does not have an external ip line. Dunno if that should be in there or not.

Goodbye
2nd June 2007, 09:26 AM
Agree with Sambo: Seconds would be great for the clock menu!

marc
2nd June 2007, 11:29 AM
would it be possible to add seconds to it?
Don't see why not. I'm not a fan of showing seconds, so it'll probably be an option ;)

Trying the beta, highly impressed, I have a few real comments I suppose.
No probs :)

I notice that the fonts in the menu bar are not antialiased.
They are being antialiased... that's just the way OS X is drawing them. If you're talking about the small "HD" and "CPU" bits to the left of some of the extras, then that's intentional. It's usually considered bad practice to antialias really small text as it usually detracts from legibility. We'll look at that though. We're going to have to do something as that's one of the only parts of ism that's not ready for resolution independence.

you should look at the slash on the network meter because it looks pixelated.
????

The 0KB/s <-- the slash there? If so, that's just text drawn by OS X... It is being antialiased, but I agree it doesn't look perfect. I think that's just a mix of the size and angle of the line. I don't know if there's much we can do about it.

and I'd love to see the cpu meter also have a field to display the current speed of the processor (ie like coreduotemp)
As in, "2.16ghz"?

the sole real functionality that jumps out at me as missing is a good battery meter.
It's coming ;)

Forgot to mention, the network menu extra does not have an external ip line. Dunno if that should be in there or not.
Hmmm. I'll check with iSlayer.

iSlayer
2nd June 2007, 11:35 AM
One suggestion I miss from MenuMeters is that your Network monitor doesn't have a graphing option (like you have for CPU/Memory).

will be in 1.1

Also for the Network drop down pane - it would be good if the primary adapter appeared at the top of the list followed by the next configured adapter and so on - my list is sorted in reverse.

No problem.i *should* be able to sort that out

Unfortunatly by using our custom windows we cant do anything like that

iSlayer
2nd June 2007, 11:40 AM
but the sole real functionality that jumps out at me as missing is a good battery meter. I'm aware of the existence of slimbatterymonitor, but it'd be nice to have an istat menus bit for it.

We are planning to add a bettery meter in 1.2 or 1.3.

The cpu meter has the vertical meter placed after the text rather than before it like with graph meter.

Ill swap them around in the next beta.

havn't made a decision about that yet. It was supposed to be there initially but certain classes (such as the one id normally use to get the IP) dont work well in menu extras. I can work around that but im not 100% sure if it will be 1.0 or delayed until 1.1

bogo_lode
2nd June 2007, 11:40 AM
As in, "2.16ghz"?

yeah. all of the intel chips use speedstep to dynamically change the speed the chip is running at. it'd be nice if you had that information available in one of the menu widgets.

thanks for the responses. didn't realize the fonts were antialiased, but I've been spoiled by memory cell using a smaller font and how menumeters looks with antialiased text so its a difference when the sizing is there.

i think my assumption that istat wasnt antialiased was based on the fact that you use the same size for the cpu meter numbers as the time font which looks a little weird to my eye and the network fonts are bolded. Looks different than I'm used to is all I suppose.

iSlayer
2nd June 2007, 11:53 AM
yeah. all of the intel chips use speedstep to dynamically change the speed the chip is running at. it'd be nice if you had that information available in one of the menu widgets.

Ill have to check but i have a feeling that wont be possible. All the apps ive seen that do it using kext's which we wont use ever in iStat menus. If i can find i way to get it without a kext ill let you know

bogo_lode
2nd June 2007, 11:54 AM
Ill have to check but i have a feeling that wont be possible. All the apps ive seen that do it using kext's which we wont use ever in iStat menus. If i can find i way to get it without a kext ill let you know

alright. yeah, coreduotemp uses a kext for their reading of it. thanks for the clarification.

Shatter
2nd June 2007, 05:49 PM
Two minor (grammatical) error (But you probably don't care :D):

In the "Please Donate Thousands of hours... donantion to support developement" message box:

development has an extra 'e' so it says "developement" and is also missing a conluding full stop (.).

A request:

Can you please consider including an option for seconds in the Date and Time menu, as well as having both the day/time and the little date icon, all at once, and give it the same background colour as the other menus (on the dropdown bit).

And as mentioned before, an external IP line in the network menu.

grfxninja
2nd June 2007, 05:52 PM
and give it the same background colour as the other menus (on the dropdown bit).

Yeah I second this request, and also add the request to the background of the bluetooth menu (If possible that is?)

iSlayer
2nd June 2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah I second this request, and also add the request to the background of the bluetooth menu (If possible that is?)

Nope not possible for bluetooth or the date & time one

Shatter
2nd June 2007, 06:04 PM

damn.

grfxninja
2nd June 2007, 06:47 PM

bugger.
Nice work elsewhere though

bullrout
2nd June 2007, 07:29 PM
What about day, time & date?

ilostmypassword
2nd June 2007, 08:17 PM
I have to ask.. why keep tinkering with it? It works .. so why keep changing it?

Each revision just keeps getting more complicated and cluttered i think....

:)

iSlayer
2nd June 2007, 08:26 PM
I have to ask.. why keep tinkering with it? It works .. so why keep changing it?

Each revision just keeps getting more complicated and cluttered i think....

Different people want different things :)
We are not going to add every single feature people ask for but we will add the ones we think will work

tcn33
2nd June 2007, 08:30 PM
I'd like to see the ... effect the official Apple Bluetooth indicator has when it's actually in use as opposed to just enabled. It's handy for those of us who use iSync and BPE with our mobiles.

And as long as I'm wishing for the moon, how about drag and drop reordering of the locations in date and time?

iSlayer
2nd June 2007, 08:32 PM
I'd like to see the ... effect the official Apple Bluetooth indicator has when it's actually in use as opposed to just enabled. It's handy for those of us who use iSync and BPE with our mobiles.

Ill research :). I dont have the hardware to test with which makes it a bit harder but ill try

And as long as I'm wishing for the moon, how about drag and drop reordering of the locations in date and time?

In the preferences or the actual menu extra ??? ( preferences i hope_

The Architect.mac
2nd June 2007, 09:31 PM
i think tcn33 request could be replicated with an apple wireless mouse or keyboard, i think he means the line through the B when something is connected (i think a little tick would be nice or a badge that actually showed the number of Bluetooth devices connected, but that is a pipe dream i think)...

also when the wireless battery on a keyboard or mouse gets low the official apple bluetooth menu extra comes up flashing, rectify the battery problem and it disappears so it is not so important to get low battery indicators into a 1.0 release...

iSlayer
2nd June 2007, 09:34 PM
i think tcn33 request could be replicated with an apple wireless mouse or keyboard, i think he means the line through the B when something is connected (i think a little tick would be nice or a badge that actually showed the number of Bluetooth devices connected, but that is a pipe dream i think)...

If thats what he means then i could probably sort something out.

also when the wireless battery on a keyboard or mouse gets low the official apple bluetooth menu extra comes up flashing, rectify the battery problem and it disappears so it is not so important to get low battery indicators into a 1.0 release...

I think i could do that aswell. Not sure if it will make 1.0 but 1.1 should be no prob

Galumay
2nd June 2007, 10:09 PM
yep, just reiterating the date as well as the time and day would be great - i have got rid of the default clock as you suggested iSlayer, and i have day and time displayed by iStat menu, would just appreciate being able to see the date at a glance! i am not fussed about the seconds - i am too slow and lazy to worry about seconds!!

iSlayer
2nd June 2007, 10:19 PM
yep, just reiterating the date as well as the time and day would be great

What format do you want it in (text or icon) ?
And if text what do you want - just the day - "Mon 2nd" or day and month "Mon 2nd June"(probably a little long) ?

bullrout
2nd June 2007, 10:23 PM
Sat 2 Jun is what I would like.

tcn33
2nd June 2007, 10:34 PM
In the preferences or the actual menu extra ??? ( preferences i hope_
In the preferences :)

i think he means the line through the B when something is connected
Yes, this is what I meant.

Galumay
2nd June 2007, 11:00 PM
well others probably wont agree, but i am not fussed about the month (i usually know that!!) so if it was - Sat 2nd 10:31 PM i would be happy!

iSlayer
2nd June 2007, 11:44 PM
One thing though, this beta10 version still has a probelm with the categories being initially unclickable, as in, no response after the install.
I quit System prefs, then all was good.

No one else has reported that issue so not sure what happened there

iSlayer
2nd June 2007, 11:45 PM
well others probably wont agree, but i am not fussed about the month (i usually know that!!) so if it was - Sat 2nd 10:31 PM i would be happy!

I agree with you but maybe we will just give 2 options. One to show date and one to show month and then they can pick whatever setup they want

grfxninja
3rd June 2007, 12:54 AM
No one else has reported that issue so not sure what happened there

I didn't mention it because I thought it was just me. I logged out and back in again and it was fine, so I thought that was how it was supposed to be

What I wouldn't mind seeing with the clock is to have both the icon and the text display - icon for date (as it is currently) and text for the time - similar to MenuCalendarClock (http://www.objectpark.net/mcc.html) though not necessarily with the day (or at least as an option)
http://www.objectpark.net/images/screenshots/mcc_ical_1.jpg

iSlayer
3rd June 2007, 01:10 AM
I didn't mention it because I thought it was just me. I logged out and back in again and it was fine, so I thought that was how it was supposed to be

Ok. I think i know what the prob might be so ill fix it up in the next beta

What I wouldn't mind seeing with the clock is to have both the icon and the text display

Already planned ;)

grfxninja
3rd June 2007, 01:48 AM
Already planned ;)

Excellent :thumbup:

mab
3rd June 2007, 03:25 AM
One of the things I like about your program is been able to have multiple clocks. I use it them a lot as I deal with people all over the world, What would be very nice is to have them automatically sort on time and maybe have some sort of marker to show where you are. (or automatically insert your local time clock in a different colour).

Thanks

Shatter
3rd June 2007, 08:13 AM
Major Problems:

I had my menus all set up nicely.

Turned of my Mac, retired for the night.

Woke up, turned it back on, and only to see that all my iStat menus had disappeared, and had been replaced by a single proccessor icon (not from iStat).

Then, I went to the iStat preferences and tried to load them up again and got the message in the picture below.

I've got a 1st gen iMac G5 PowerPC, running 10.4.9.

Simply: iStat Menus is not working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: My Fast User Switching ME is also gone. iChat survived.

EDIT AGAIN: I installed Menu Extra Enabler, as directed to by the message in the screen below. Everything is now working fine. What I don't understand is that it worked fine last night without MEE, and now it doesn't, and i'm running PPC.

scokim
3rd June 2007, 08:36 AM
Simply: iStat Menus is not working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hysteria - just what the doctor ordered.

iSlayer
3rd June 2007, 08:44 AM
[SIZE="4"]Woke up, turned it back on, and only to see that all my iStat menus had disappeared, and had been replaced by a single proccessor icon (not from iStat).

Sounds like you have somehow loaded apple's cpu extra which is part of CHUD tools.
iStat menus uses menucracker which works by posing as apples cpu extra and then enables other extras so if you have the real apple one loaded it will not work without Menu Extra Enabler as you found out

aswitcher
3rd June 2007, 09:40 AM
Ok, an idea. I always fiddle around trying to figure out start times for online events in foreign timezones. Sure there is timeticker etc to get this sorted but it would be very cool if this widget allowed me to enter a time in a foreign/local TZ and immeditaley see what the time would be in all the other TZs listed. Either drag the hands to where you want them (and see in realtime the changes to the other TZs displays)) or enter a digital time. Of course this maybe better as a seperate widget but I thought I would mention it in case it could fit in.

The Architect.mac
3rd June 2007, 09:44 AM
aswitcher istat menus is a menu extra not a widget...

aswitcher
3rd June 2007, 09:46 AM
aswitcher istat menus is a menu extra not a widget...

Yeah, sorry, coffee only kicking in now. Still concept would work for either I guess.

marc
3rd June 2007, 11:02 AM
Hmmm... we'll think about that one. Might be going beyond the scope of what's planned.

iSlayer
3rd June 2007, 11:20 AM
Hmmm... we'll think about that one. Might be going beyond the scope of what's planned.

agreed.dont think its for iStat menus.

scokim
3rd June 2007, 11:37 AM
Question: With iStat menu running, does it stop the computer from automatically going to sleep ?

iSlayer
3rd June 2007, 11:48 AM
Question: With iStat menu running, does it stop the computer from automatically going to sleep ?

nope it doesnt

something2sea
4th June 2007, 03:17 PM
What's the go with the 20px space at the left end of the Network Menu Extra? would it be possible to remove that? or make it a bit smaller, cause it's a little annoying on small 12" screens. Other than that, i've found no issues, and did not come across the issue with selecting "Tabs" after the install.

marc
4th June 2007, 03:49 PM
What's the go with the 20px space at the left end of the Network Menu Extra? would it be possible to remove that?
That's probably just the space we allow for a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx number.

gaehl
4th June 2007, 05:05 PM
What's the go with the 20px space at the left end of the Network Menu Extra? would it be possible to remove that? or make it a bit smaller, cause it's a little annoying on small 12" screens. Other than that, i've found no issues, and did not come across the issue with selecting "Tabs" after the install.

You mean the gap between the arrows and the numbers? The gap disappears when you really start moving data around. I don't think menu extras can resize on the fly.

iSlayer
4th June 2007, 05:08 PM
I don't think menu extras can resize on the fly.

They can but it would get very annoying very quickly. We have it set for the max length (4 numbers or 3 and a period)

gaehl
4th June 2007, 05:10 PM
They can but it would get very annoying very quickly. We have it set for the max length (4 numbers or 3 and a period)

Yeah it would be annoying but the amount of time it takes for items to move after something comes out of the menu bar would make it bad (then again most of them are not working like apple menulings)

something2sea
4th June 2007, 06:16 PM
ok, your forgiven :D, yeah, i did mean the space between the numbers and arrows, cool, thanks for clearing that up for me though!

Shatter
4th June 2007, 06:26 PM
ahh. It happened again. All of my menues dissapeared when I restarted, after turning the comp. on the not find any coming up.

I downloaded MEE and installed, and do not run the CPU menu extra.

What am I doing wrong??

iSlayer
4th June 2007, 06:34 PM
ahh. It happened again. All of my menues dissapeared when I restarted, after turning the comp. on the not find any coming up.

I downloaded MEE and installed, and do not run the CPU menu extra.

What am I doing wrong??

OS version ?
Is there anything about SystemUIServer in console ?

Shatter
4th June 2007, 06:41 PM
OS version ?
Is there anything about SystemUIServer in console ?

10.4.9 PPC,

2007-06-04 16:59:46.858 SystemUIServer[315] lang is:en
2007-06-04 17:00:05.333 SystemUIServer[315] Normally iStatMenusNetwork would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-04 07:26:31.457 SystemUIServer[233]
2007-06-04 07:26:31.815 SystemUIServer[233] failed to load Menu Extra: NSBundle </Library/PreferencePanes/iStat menus.prefPane/Contents/Resources/MenuCracker.menu> (loaded)
2007-06-04 07:26:35.105 SystemUIServer[233] Normally iStatMenusDateAndTimes would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-04 07:26:39.764 SystemUIServer[233] Normally iStatMenusDisks would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-04 07:26:42.112 SystemUIServer[233] Normally iStatMenusMemory would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-04 07:26:44.973 SystemUIServer[233] Normally iStatMenusCPU would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-04 07:26:46.196 SystemUIServer[233] Normally iStatMenusNetwork would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.

yesterday:

2007-06-03 08:09:42.212 SystemUIServer[134] Menu Extra: <AppleUser: 0x3f8f90> is over retained.
2007-06-03 08:19:16.779 SystemUIServer[364]
2007-06-03 08:19:16.814 SystemUIServer[364] failed to load Menu Extra: NSBundle </Library/PreferencePanes/iStat menus.prefPane/Contents/Resources/MenuCracker.menu> (loaded)
2007-06-03 08:19:23.904 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusMemory would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:19:31.164 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusFans would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:23:17.432 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusDateAndTimes would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:24:06.084 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusNetwork would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:24:47.709 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusTemps would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:24:52.636 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusDisks would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:26:12.275 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusDisks would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:26:28.668 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusMemory would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:27:57.619 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusDisks would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:28:42.851 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusCPU would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:29:06.800 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusMemory would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:29:56.589 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusTemps would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-03 08:30:03.069 SystemUIServer[364] Normally iStatMenusFans would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.

It seems that menucracker isn't loading. Could you point me to a new version.

iSlayer
4th June 2007, 06:43 PM
It seems that menucracker isn't loading. Could you point me to a new version.

Nah that is completely normal.
Not really sure why your having problems when no one else seems to be.

Shatter
4th June 2007, 07:06 PM
"Menu Extra: <AppleUser: 0x3f8f90> is over retained."

What would that mean?

iSlayer
4th June 2007, 07:20 PM
"Menu Extra: <AppleUser: 0x3f8f90> is over retained."

What would that mean?

Looks like a bug (could be intentional) in the fast user switching menu extra but that shouldnt cause problems with others

Shatter
4th June 2007, 07:38 PM
Looks like a bug (could be intentional) in the fast user switching menu extra but that shouldnt cause problems with others

Interesting. I'll see what happens after a restart.

[EDIT[

Ok, i restarted and all seems to be good.

I will report back if anything else happens.

ppops
5th June 2007, 12:35 PM
Just one thing.....

The "Disks" section doesn't update unless I click on it. Any chance it can automatically update without being clicked?

Thanks.

iSlayer
5th June 2007, 12:38 PM
The "Disks" section doesn't update unless I click on it. Any chance it can automatically update without being clicked?

Yep we are going to update it every minute or 3 in the next beta.

MacDave
5th June 2007, 01:35 PM
Excellent jpb!!!

One of my network IFs is not showing. The image below is menumeters & istat menu's network menubar item. I have an 8-core Mac Pro.

http://macdave.com/mtau/network.jpg

Dave

PS Expect a donation soon. =)

iSlayer
5th June 2007, 01:42 PM
One of my network IFs is not showing. The image below is menumeters & istat menu's network menubar item. I have an 8-core Mac Pro.

Ill get that fixed in the next beta.

PS Expect a donation soon. =)

Cheers

iSlayer
14th June 2007, 06:26 PM
Beta 11 (0.91) is available now.
There are some massive changes especially to where all the files are stored so when you install it any of the extras you have open will be closed and you will need to re enable them.

PPC users please test the fan extra as there have been some major changes there to try and better support iBooks (please test even if you not on an iBook).

This will be one of the final betas so we are looking for as much feedback as possible. Please post even if its just to say everything is working fine

Full change list

Updated installer
Major structural changes in preparation for 1.0 release
Added a dual mode to Date & Time extra (time + icon)
Added option to display seconds in Date & Time extra
Updated PPC fan code to work better with iBooks
Added option to display date in Date & Time extra
Bluetooth extra now has a different icon when a device is connected
Switched display order in the Text & Vertical mode in cpu extra
Fixed bug with local iDisk names in preference panes
Added a second disk activity mode to Disks extra
Updated network extra to support multiple connections on a single card
Updated network extra to show connections in the correct order
Improved detection of network changes
Memory extra now displays swap usage
Fixed shadow bug in network extra
Made dropdown wider on temps & fans extras to work better with longer names

You can get the update from inside the preference pane by clicking the "Check for updates" button or you can get it from the url on page one of this thread

forgie
14th June 2007, 06:31 PM
When I clicked on "Check for Updates" it said "You have the latest version".... I have downloaded manually, will report back.

grfxninja
14th June 2007, 06:31 PM
I have version 0.9 and when I click "Check for Updates" it says I have the current version.

Edit: Forgie beat me to it :)

iSlayer
14th June 2007, 06:33 PM
oops yep i just realized that aswell. All fixed now

grfxninja
14th June 2007, 06:36 PM
oops yep i just realized that aswell. All fixed now

Yep, all good now :thumbup:

forgie
14th June 2007, 06:36 PM
Well, after killing installing then SystemUIServer, everything had been disabled. Turning them back on bought everything back to life. It all seems to work fine.

grfxninja
14th June 2007, 06:49 PM
Well, after killing installing then SystemUIServer, everything had been disabled. Turning them back on bought everything back to life. It all seems to work fine.

Pretty much exactly the same here too. No issues as yet. I notice there is a line through the bluetooth icon when it is on now - is that new?

iSlayer
14th June 2007, 06:51 PM
I notice there is a line through the bluetooth icon when it is on now - is that new?

Yep thats new

bullrout
14th June 2007, 07:10 PM
I have this problem - "iStat menus could not load the network extra".

iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo

iSlayer
14th June 2007, 07:19 PM

Can you please see if there is anything in console.log about SystemUIServer or iStat menus.
You can view it by opening console.app which is in /Applications/Utilities/

bullrout
14th June 2007, 07:25 PM
There is lots.

This is repeated a few times -

2007-06-14 19:08:49.881 SystemUIServer[173] Normally iStatMenusNetwork would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.
2007-06-14 19:08:49.884 SystemUIServer[173] failed to load Menu Extra: NSBundle </Users/cloughie/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/iStatMenusNetwork.menu> (loaded)

bullrout
14th June 2007, 07:27 PM
This maybe a bit more relevant -

2007-06-14 19:08:49.280 SystemUIServer[173] Normally iStatMenusNetwork would not have been loaded as a Menu Extra.

iSlayer
14th June 2007, 07:29 PM
There is lots.

What network connections have you got running ?
Dial up or a PPPoE connection by any chance ?

bullrout
14th June 2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the clock, it's perfect.

bullrout
14th June 2007, 07:31 PM
PPPoE.

iSlayer
14th June 2007, 08:09 PM
PPPoE.

Re download the latest beta. Should be all sorted now hopefully.

bullrout
14th June 2007, 08:26 PM
That fixed it.

Thanks iSlayer.

tcn33
14th June 2007, 08:38 PM
Yep thats new

And thanks for putting it in :)

All updated, no problems. btw did I pick up a new temp sensor? Don't recall having Memory Controller before...

marc
14th June 2007, 08:53 PM
did I pick up a new temp sensor? Don't recall having Memory Controller before...
Quite a few new sensors have been added to what ism can read.

iSlayer
14th June 2007, 08:56 PM
Quite a few new sensors have been added to what ism can read.

about 30 new ones including that memory controller one

The Architect.mac
14th June 2007, 09:06 PM
works like a charm, that line through the B icon is sweet and the dual calendar date and time thing, just pure icing...

Galumay
14th June 2007, 09:31 PM
nice guys, the clock is purrrfect!

just need the graphs on the network display and i will be able to ditch menu meters completely.

thanks again for the great work!

303-Acid
15th June 2007, 06:08 AM
All running fine here. G3 600 iBook. I'm guessing my laptop doesn't have sensors? None are showing up. (I'm still new to the mac world)

Shatter
15th June 2007, 07:35 AM

iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo

you logged out after install right?

bertofski
15th June 2007, 07:36 AM
running beautifuly on my MBP, the clock>ical is just awesomeness.

iSlayer
15th June 2007, 09:52 AM
All running fine here. G3 600 iBook. I'm guessing my laptop doesn't have sensors? None are showing up. (I'm still new to the mac world)

not 100% sure. Most likely not because of its age. Older systems have alot less support for temps and fans then newer systems

bullrout
15th June 2007, 04:36 PM
you logged out after install right?

Yes I did.

Shatter
15th June 2007, 04:43 PM
Yes I did.

just checking.

Have you got the latest version of MenuExtraEnabler?

Google it. You need it.

iSlayer
15th June 2007, 04:52 PM
just checking.

If you read back through the posts you will find we sorted the issue already

Sambo
15th June 2007, 10:13 PM
Nice work again guys, the clock is the only issue I had, and now it's better than ever!

Shatter
15th June 2007, 10:14 PM
If you read back through the posts you will find we sorted the issue already

yes, i believe it was myself who had the problem too.

iSlayer
15th June 2007, 10:21 PM
yes, i believe it was myself who had the problem too.

completely different issue :)
His was only with the new version because i had a bug in the code. I fixed it and gave him a new version and all is good now

303-Acid
17th June 2007, 11:43 AM
I just installed the latest iStat Pro and noticed that it has S.M.A.R.T. support. Any chance of getting it in iStat Menus?

iSlayer
17th June 2007, 11:47 AM
I just installed the latest iStat Pro and noticed that it has S.M.A.R.T. support. Any chance of getting it in iStat Menus?

Going to be added in 1.1.

marc
17th June 2007, 11:47 AM
We'll be adding S.M.A.R.T. failure notifications to both iStat pro and iStat menus as well at some point (currently iStat pro only has S.M.A.R.T. temps).

303-Acid
17th June 2007, 02:07 PM
Sweet. Thumbs up from me!

jpons
19th June 2007, 12:49 AM
Folks,

Thanks for releasing Istat Menu. Have been waiting for quite some time for this. Really like it.

I have a couple of suggestions to throw into the pot.

1. I would love to be able to see other months in the "Date & Time" module. A simple way to scroll through different months would do, with just a simple set of arrows. Similar to what MagiCal does.

2. The "date" icon really needs some sprucing up. Although I can usually remember what month I am in, it would also be a nice touch of it had a month... again similar to MagiCal.

3. Definitely need graphs for network activity. I liked the choices that were available in menu meters. I specially liked the up/down graph.

4. on the CPU meters, I think it may be a nice touch to add different colors for the different types of cpu utilization, such as system, user, etc...

5. I know this was suggested before and a response was made, but to me one of the most useful aspects of menu meters was that I could also pull down the cpu menu and launch the activity monitor right from there... this was very handy when needing to identify rouge processes and to kill them!

6. Lastly I wanted to re-iterate the desire for a battery meter. I know this is coming, but I just wanted to mention it as well.

Thanks guys for such a great app.

-J

iSlayer
19th June 2007, 10:08 AM
1. I would love to be able to see other months in the "Date & Time" module. A simple way to scroll through different months would do, with just a simple set of arrows. Similar to what MagiCal does.

Unfortunately thats not possible at the moment. It may be at some point in the future ;)

3. Definitely need graphs for network activity. I liked the choices that were available in menu meters. I specially liked the up/down graph.

Will definitely be in 1.1

4. on the CPU meters, I think it may be a nice touch to add different colors for the different types of cpu utilization, such as system, user, etc...

We will consider that for the future

5. I know this was suggested before and a response was made, but to me one of the most useful aspects of menu meters was that I could also pull down the cpu menu and launch the activity monitor right from there... this was very handy when needing to identify rouge processes and to kill them!

Again not possible at the moment... wait a few months and you might get lucky

6. Lastly I wanted to re-iterate the desire for a battery meter. I know this is coming, but I just wanted to mention it as well.

Definitely going to happen at some point. We want to make sure we get it 100% perfect so it will take a while to do

iSlayer
19th June 2007, 12:54 PM
a new beta is available (0.92)
please note the check for updates button was broken in 0.91 so you will need to grab it from the site or via the background update checker(at boot time or every 24 hours depending on your prefs)

Link is the same as in the first post

The major thing to test in the new version is the network extra. VPN's should work now and there have been some massive changes to the network filtering.

Edit -
Please note the beta is no longer available. The 1.0 release isn't far off now so if you get notified of an update to 0.92 just ignore it and wait till 1.0