PDA

View Full Version : Cube G4 ARD/VNC issue

hawker
31st May 2007, 10:22 PM
I have a Cube G4, 450mhz, 640MB / 80GB HD etc that I use as a dev server at work.

VNC / ARD have been stuffed since day one, it's running ARD 3.1 and OS X 4.9. I have disable screen savers, sleep hard drive, energy saver the lot.

Every now and again, ARD/VNC will just lock up. You can't get into this machine you can't control it, you can ping it, but until you do a restart you can't get in. Enabled SSH, and if you restart the ARD service it works fine also.

I have a mac mini that works fine as a media center at work, I control it from my Quad. At home I use ARD to remote into all my machines at home, never had an issue like this at all...

Any ideas / suggestions?

I've done everything I can think of, including a reinstall... It's only a web server, so it's basically running nothing other than PHP/MYSQL etc etc

If no one has any suggestions I'm going to put ubuntu or another linux distro on it and see how I go from there.

chuck
31st May 2007, 11:27 PM
Not sure where to start with troubleshooting... I had a similar problem and installed VINE and it has run perfectly.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxvnc/

Currawong
1st June 2007, 01:08 AM
I've had ARD lock up, not sure what caused it.

I agree with the idea of Linux - Ubuntu 7.04 if it's available in PPC would be excellent for web serving. If you're not happy with terminal-based administration, get the Debian version of Webmin and install it and you can use a web browser to manage it.

hawker
1st June 2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys, yeah I had heard that some machines have some really random issues with ARD, I just never experienced it before, so it was a bit left field. Talk about random.!