PDA

View Full Version : Palm Foleo

luke_in_tas
31st May 2007, 09:26 PM
Palm Announces the Foleo

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images/foleo-2-s.jpg

Palm today announced their Foleo mobile companion device. It would seem to have a very niche market, but looks like it could be quite cool. There have already been comments from Palm that they hope to make it work with other smartphones (including the iPhone), not just Treo smartphones made by them.

I'm still undecided on this particular device, but if Apple made something similar running OS X it could be the perfect replacement to my 12" PowerBook.

Palm's official site is here: http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobilecompanion/;
Palm Infocenter has a good write up here: http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9436/palm-officially-introduces-the-foleo/; and
Discussion by Australian Palm users is here: http://auspug.org/forum/index.php?topic=5375.0.

decryption
31st May 2007, 09:34 PM
Looks so much like Outlook, haha

Hardware looks interesting. Lets see if it can be hacked to run Linux or something. Use it as a super portable net surfing device? YES PLEASE.

EDIT: Looks like you can surf the net on it by default anyways, as it's got a browser.

I want one to tool around with :)

Kuma
31st May 2007, 09:37 PM
Its not a computer
its a gimped device which just acts as a large screen attachment to your smartphone...

waiting for the iphone...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/30/palm-foleo-hands-on/#comments

decryption
31st May 2007, 09:39 PM
Its not a computer
its a gimped device which just acts as a large screen attachment to your smartphone...

waiting for the iphone...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/30/palm-foleo-hands-on/#comments

So unless you have a Treo, this thing won't hook up to an access point and access the Internet?

luke_in_tas
31st May 2007, 09:41 PM
... Lets see if it can be hacked to run Linux or something...

It actually runs on Linux. Palm want third-part developers to write apps for it, but from what I understand many Linux apps may work on it now without modification.

Kuma
31st May 2007, 09:42 PM
So unless you have a Treo, this thing won't hook up to an access point and access the Internet?

palm have said it should work with other smartphones.. but havent tested yet...

luke_in_tas
31st May 2007, 09:45 PM

It has built-in Wi-Fi and will operate without a Treo for web browsing. Where there is no Wi-Fi it uses your smartphone's data connection.

I believe email will also work over Wi-Fi, but that isn't as clear as email is synced with your Treo or other supported smartphone.

Office docs can also be created and edited without the phone.

But Kuma is right. It isn't meant to be a fully featured laptop. It is meant to be an extension of a smartphone.

decryption
31st May 2007, 09:46 PM
palm have said it should work with other smartphones.. but havent tested yet...

Yeah, but without a smartphone, will it still turn on and work? Just say I don't own a smartphone, take it with me to uni and open it up, can I hook it up to the wireless network there and start taking notes with it in Word?

decryption
31st May 2007, 09:50 PM
It has built-in Wi-Fi and will operate without a Treo for web browsing. Where there is no Wi-Fi it uses your smartphone's data connection.

I believe email will also work over Wi-Fi, but that isn't as clear as email is synced with your Treo or other supported smartphone.

Office docs can also be created and edited without the phone.

But Kuma is right. It isn't meant to be a fully featured laptop. It is meant to be an extension of a smartphone.

Ahh. So Palm isn't stupid :p

There's no reason why someone can't use this as a PDA really? It looks pretty full featured to me (minus optical storage). It takes flash memory if you want storage, can run 3rd party apps. Normally sub-notebooks like this cost thousands more. Looks like a very cheap ultra-portable computer to me!

Hopefully someone will slip one over to me to review ;)

It would be nice to carry that with me around instead of the bulky MacBook Pro. The Foleo is much lighter :p

luke_in_tas
31st May 2007, 09:56 PM
This is almost the device I want to replace my 12" PowerBook. A very compact, instant on, computer is what I want instead of a laptop. I have a desktop computer (20" iMac) which I use most of the time, and my laptop is primarily for travelling. Something like this fits the bill very nicely.

I wish Apple made something like this running Mac OS X. Although email, web browsing, and office apps are what I primarily use my laptop for, it would be nice to have access to the other Mac applications that I want to use from time to time when I'm travelling.

Kuma
31st May 2007, 11:45 PM
I totally agree...
I have got my lovely iMac here to do the grunt work

I want a notebook.. to check/read/write/email
and surf the web

and to be able to download photos to when travelling off the camera.. and maybe run a slideshow or two with it.

forgie
1st June 2007, 12:03 AM
This may gain some traction with business people (where communication is paramount) - but I can't really see anyone else buying into it. What's the word on battery life?

Kuma
1st June 2007, 12:04 AM
This may gain some traction with business people (where communication is paramount) - but I can't really see anyone else buying into it. What's the word on battery life?

if you are carrying a notebook already I cant imagine lugging another unit across town...

if you dont have a notebook.. then maybe....

as for battery life..NFI

but I imagine it would be reasonable... big unit.. biggish battery....

luke_in_tas
1st June 2007, 06:22 AM
Battery life is reported to be 5 hours of continuous use.

And I think Kuma's right. This device isn't going to appeal to anyone who already uses a laptop, unless it is to replace their laptop. If you only use your laptop for email, web browsing, editing the odd office doc or doing PowerPoint presentations then this device might be a good solution instead of a bigger, heavier, more expensive machine.

I think there will be some appeal though to people who currently only have desktop computers. I'm sure many of them are happy with their desktops and don't want to replace them with a laptop, and probably can't justify having both. The Foleo provides the main features most of these people would want in a portable for a much cheaper price than a conventional laptop.

Bart Smastard
1st June 2007, 04:36 PM
This week Palm Inc released the Foleo "mobile companion" (http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobilecompanion/foleo/index.html), a small 1kg device running Linux with a 10" screen and solid state storage.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/4665-NEWS795206745fe71d3bd2601a7f3e65d68d5194pngcopy.jp g

It looks like it could have come from Apple, it's slim, minimalist and kind of cute - to this geek (although it's grey colour does make it look more like it a circa late 1990's Newton or a PowerBook Duo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_Duo)) but I don't think Apple have anything to worry about. If they made a sub-notebook (and I hope they do) it would be a lot sexier, rich in features and of course run OS X and all it's goodness. The Foleo is quite hamstrung.

One good thing about it is that because it doesn't use a traditional hard drive it starts up in an instant.

Features of the US$499 Foleo include:
10.2-inch color screen (1024x600)
SD card slot
CompactFlash slot
VGA out (1024x768)
USB Port
Bluetooth
Wi-Fi.
256MB of RAM

forgie
1st June 2007, 04:42 PM
There's already a thread about it: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=31957&highlight=foleo

Bart Smastard
1st June 2007, 04:54 PM
Poo. My search missed that. Close this one please mods.

Bart Smastard
1st June 2007, 04:57 PM
It looks like it could have come from Apple, it's slim, minimalist and kind of cute - to this geek (although it's grey colour does make it look more like it a circa late 1990's Newton or a PowerBook Duo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_Duo)) but I don't think Apple have anything to worry about. If they made a sub-notebook (and I hope they do) it would be a lot sexier, rich in features and of course run OS X and all it's goodness.

stewiesno1
1st June 2007, 05:05 PM
So what is the storage on this thing if it doesn't have a HD ? Is it the flash card and it runs off that ? Doesn't flash storage in flash based storage devices have a short life ?
Stewie

OziMac
1st June 2007, 05:07 PM
This isn't quite a sub-notebook, and making it reliant on a Smartphone was silly on Palm's part. They could have raced to the head of the pack with a true sub-notebook and carved out a niche for themselves - they're sure as hell going to need it once the iPhone comes out.

I really wish Apple gets onto this fast - a 12 inch screen, adequate RAM, flash HDD (doesn't really need to be much more than 32GB), bluetooth and wireless and no optical drive in a really slim enclosure. I think it'd be a red hot product, and at the very least more than just a 'hobby' ;)

Linux_insidev2
1st June 2007, 05:11 PM
So what is the storage on this thing if it doesn't have a HD ? Is it the flash card and it runs off that ? Doesn't flash storage in flash based storage devices have a short life ?
Stewie

compactflash is the one with a short life, i'd say palm would be using a more robust solid-state technology than CF.

lavo
1st June 2007, 05:11 PM
So its essentially what the eMate was ten years ago. *sigh*

happyfrappy
1st June 2007, 05:18 PM
Palm may have just killed themselves in North America with the Foleo's lack of wifi than upgrading their existing PDA lineup. The demand will be low, wireless carriers will turn around and change their pricing or terms of service to be even more limited of how tethering is defined...etc. In the USA it'll be a miserable failure since VerizonWireless cripples bluetooth, so much for EVDO goodness and pulled a necessary BT netsharing stack on the Treo 700p(?). Canada's data prices are enough to make anyone cry at 3c/kb overage :eek:

Palm may have better luck in Europe, HK and elsewhere that carriers are more flexible. heh, the Foleo would make a spiffy T-Mobile UK Web 'n iLoo err Walk combo :o :D
(reference can be found here: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/05/31/15-percent-of-brits-polled-admit-using-mobile-internet-in-toilet/ )

grimmy
1st June 2007, 05:19 PM
Yes I wish Apple would do a similar product to the Vaio TX series

Nice design, Instant DVD on, Light, Compact, Excellent battery life at around 9 hours! Only sad thing about it is that it runs Windows!

forgie
1st June 2007, 05:21 PM
Palm may have just killed themselves in North America with the Foleo's lack of wifi than upgrading their existing PDA lineup. The demand will be low, wireless carriers will turn around and change their pricing or terms of service to be even more limited of how tethering is defined...etc. In the USA it'll be a miserable failure since VerizonWireless cripples bluetooth, so much for EVDO goodness and pulled a necessary BT netsharing stack on the Treo 700p(?). Canada's data prices are enough to make anyone cry at 3c/kb overage :eek:

Palm may have better luck in Europe, HK and elsewhere that carriers are more flexible. heh, the Foleo would make a spiffy T-Mobile UK Web 'n iLoo err Walk combo :o :D
(reference can be found here: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/05/31/15-percent-of-brits-polled-admit-using-mobile-internet-in-toilet/ )
The Foleo DOES have wifi..?

happyfrappy
1st June 2007, 05:22 PM
Foleo lacks wifi... oddly it has a SD memory slot from what I read on PR releases so maybe a Palm SDIO Wifi card will work *wonders*
ah the Vaio TX series... I drooled at one in the SonyStyle store downtown
*drools like Homer Simpson*

forgie
1st June 2007, 05:26 PM
And I quote:

Access the web from more places.

When you're in a café, airport or hotel with Wi-Fi, just unfold your Palm® Foleo™ mobile companion to take advantage of hotspots with high-speed networks.

forgie
1st June 2007, 05:33 PM
compactflash is the one with a short life, i'd say palm would be using a more robust solid-state technology than CF.
I thought CF was a spec for flash interface, not flash technology...? So a modern CF card would have the same lifespan as a modern SD or whatever?

lavo
1st June 2007, 05:37 PM
Foleo with WiFi (http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/30/palm-foleo-announced/)

Seems to have it here :-)

What will be of interest is to see what the third party guys do with this. What might initially be a sucky device from Palm may turn into a great little hackers (in the true sense of the word!) laptop.

Would have been fantastic if it were made with touchscreen....

Johnny Appleseed
1st June 2007, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see this form factor in a fully fledged MacBook - if that's possible.

happyfrappy
1st June 2007, 06:43 PM
hmm, I may have overlooked it having wifi while originally skimming through the news, still the PalmOS platform is crumbling from the past management spinning off PalmSource in the effort of buying Handspring. It would be even better if Palm redesigned the LifeDrive with 2-4GB flash memory with a slide out keyboard for folks who don't want a PDA Phone or the Foleo... a middle ground would be nice.
I'd say Palm needs a bit more consumer-prosumer driven product launches till they regain the interest of ex-customers and folks still aboard or neutral. I liked Palm hardware+software, it was the declining 3rd party software and poor Hotsync conduit support on the Mac side that made me switch.

*mumbles* I'm so close to ditching WinMo yet the options out there are no better... :(

luke_in_tas
4th June 2007, 08:23 PM
Palm's founder answers the Foleo's critics (http://www.cnet.com.au/mobilephones/accessories/0,239025938,339278150,00.htm?feed=rss).

jerrah
5th September 2007, 09:26 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/04/palm-cancels-foleo/

I wasn't sure that the Folio had much of a future being the size of a laptop but only having the functionality of being a smartphone extender. It seems its limitations have caused an early departure from the market.

Although their explanation has more to do with having a focused product line.

decryption
5th September 2007, 09:40 AM
Damn, dropping the Foleo would have to hit Palm hard. They were heardling it as the next big thing, almost staking the company on it.

Palm has lost the plot - they're a shadow of their former self. They essentially need to shit or get off the pot :p

marc
5th September 2007, 09:52 AM
Palm has lost the plot - they're a shadow of their former self.
I'm not sure if it's too little too late, but they really do seem focused now, and heading in the right direction.

I think we might see some good products from them yet.

decryption
5th September 2007, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure if it's too little too late, but they really do seem focused now, and heading in the right direction.

I think we might see some good products from them yet.

Hopefully the iPhone has scared them and they will ramp up and get something I'd want to buy (a new version of Palm OS on a 3G Treo thanks!).

mjankor
5th September 2007, 10:05 AM
Slightly off topic but this thread reminded me, I think Symbian is in for a shock if the iPhone continues on it's current trend. I own a Symbian phone and finding good software for it has been a nightmare. If, or rather when, Apple release an SDK for their iPhone the game may change in a big way.

If the iPhone were to get a category on sites such as Macupdate, and if people were able to develop for it with an updated version of Xcode then I'd be buying an iPhone so fast Nokia's eyeballs would pop.

decryption
5th September 2007, 10:08 AM
An SDK for the iPhone woudl set fire to the rest of the industry. All those OS X developers we love are chomping at the bit to bring their magic to the iPhone. Compared to the half-arsed Symbian, Windows Mobile and Plam apps I've seen, it would be the sort of thing to wow people with.

Imagine games like Frenzic or Quinn on the iPhone. Apps like Transmit, Skitch and Newsfire and not to mention a kajillion open source apps that can take advantage of the OS X core and move their programs over with minimal re-writes.

lavo
5th September 2007, 10:27 AM
In some ways I see Palm in the same boat Apple was just before Steve came back. Steve streamlined a lot of product and Apple could concentrate on a core product before diversifying again (eg iPod, iPhone). Palm need to do the same. Get the kick-arse Linux OS sorted out for smartphones and just use that (ditch WM). If they can do that before the iPhone is available worldwide, they might have a good chance.

Kuma
5th September 2007, 04:23 PM
It looks like everybody who panned it from the get go.. got it right...

Palm are reporting around a $10m hit on deciding against shipping it...