PDA

View Full Version : YABT - Yet Another Backup Thread (Advanced Apps)

benmcgruer
30th May 2007, 05:00 PM
I'm getting really tired of Retrospect (as anyone who's used it will attest - it's a PITA), so I'm looking for alternatives; everyone around here seems to love SuperDuper, but I'm after something more advanced.

Features I'm looking for:

Scheduled
Incremental
Versioned
Network clients
Compression (Optional)

Closest I've found so far is Data Backup 3 (http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_backup_info.php), but that doesn't seem to support networked backups. Anyone know of anything that meets these requirements, or am I stuck with Retrospect. I'm willing to consider rsync/psync style solutions but there seems to be few issues and a non-trival setup process.

bennettnz
30th May 2007, 05:31 PM
sorry I have been looking for an alternative to retrospect and can't find anything either... retrospect finds so many reasons not to work that when it does I can't believe it.

The Architect.mac
30th May 2007, 05:48 PM
what about Apple Backup through .mac

but yes Super Duper is the king and you really can't just create acronyms, there are enough already...

benmcgruer
30th May 2007, 07:21 PM
Unfortunately neither Apple Backup nor SuperDuper support network clients and SuperDuper does not provide versioning.

Jaffa
30th May 2007, 07:51 PM
Unfortunately neither Apple Backup nor SuperDuper support network clients and SuperDuper does not provide versioning.

Sorry about my ignorance, but wat exactly is versioning ?

benmcgruer
30th May 2007, 07:54 PM
As advertised in Apple's Time Machine, it allows you to roll back to a specific version, e.g. if you have a daily backup, you can retrieve the file from Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday etc. Without it, if you delete a file, then backup, you've lost that file. With it you can still go back to the previous backup and retrieve it.

Jaffa
30th May 2007, 08:07 PM
As advertised in Apple's Time Machine, it allows you to roll back to a specific version, e.g. if you have a daily backup, you can retrieve the file from Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday etc. Without it, if you delete a file, then backup, you've lost that file. With it you can still go back to the previous backup and retrieve it.

Ah yes :) I'm on the ball now :D

bullrout
30th May 2007, 08:11 PM
Deja Vu can do backups over a network & compresses deleted items for a safety net.

Have a look (http://propagandaprod.com/dejavu.html).

hamlynt
30th May 2007, 08:31 PM
If it's for personal use I'd recommend an rsync-based solution. Setup will involve some effort but it's the price you pay for a customised solution. Specifically an rsync script can:
- be scheduled using launchd (part of tiger, similar to a cronjob)
- be incremental using the --link-dest option (this provides a snapshot of the directory structure but only uses space for modified files - not a true increment as if only a small part of the file is changed, it will store two copies of the file, but pretty close)
- versioned by time/datestamping each backup set
- run over a secure network connection to any machine with rsync installed
- possibly manage compression as well, though this is usually not used given the incremental option mentioned above.

A good guide to setting up such a system is http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/. Rather than daily/hourly snapshots I use a much simpler setup which just takes a snapshot whenever I run it, and retains the past 10 snapshots, giving me an incremental history going back for a reasonable period of time depending on how often I run it.