PDA

View Full Version : Software Updates

Mac Ram
30th May 2007, 03:39 PM
I have two intel Macs in the house (iMac & Mini)....dumb question time.

When there is a software update I don't really want to download it twice, how do I download it just the once and then apply to both 'puters?

Thanks

hawker
30th May 2007, 03:41 PM
In software update go to 'Updates' menu and select 'Download Only' and it will download and then present you with the package.

if you have Apple Remote Desktop you can also install on multiple computers over the network, like I am at the moment :)

On a side note - if you have a PowerPc and Intel in the house, they might come with different packages...

Mac Ram
30th May 2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks Hawker. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

Don't use ARD - couldn't get it to work for me - IT skills & knowledge let me down :(

I'm using something called Desktop Transporter, which allows me to control the Mini (in the Lounge) from the iMac in the study. Probably nowhere near the functionality of ARD, but allows me to do the limited things I need.

hawker
30th May 2007, 03:49 PM
if it helps, I use to just chuck it on my server and browse over the network on each machine and install it at leisure, ARD just made me lazy :)

timdotexe
30th May 2007, 04:10 PM
if it helps, I use to just chuck it on my server and browse over the network on each machine and install it at leisure, ARD just made me lazy :)

Me too, but some updates require the package to be located on the local computer before they will install. So you may need to copy them over the network to the computer before installing. I use ARD for work though and its great :)

Wally
30th May 2007, 04:37 PM
In software update go to 'Updates' menu and select 'Download Only' and it will download and then present you with the package.

Hey thats handy :)

hawker
30th May 2007, 04:39 PM
Me too, but some updates require the package to be located on the local computer before they will install. So you may need to copy them over the network to the computer before installing. I use ARD for work though and its great :)

Ha ha, you picked me up, yeah I meant copy it to that computer, otherwise as you said it has a fit....

Granny Smith
30th May 2007, 05:56 PM
I just connect over the network to the machine that needs the update, chuck the .dmg file onto that machine, then install it on that machine as if it had downloaded it itself. Simple.

Devil
30th May 2007, 06:03 PM
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

rjch
30th May 2007, 10:48 PM
Speaking of dumb question time.

I just save the update to a memory stick from my work broadband intel and update the mac machine at home. Can't you just save mac updates to the desk top? But I can't remember seeing that option from software update. What is saved on your mac when you do the software update so you could copy it and install it on another machine?

forgie
30th May 2007, 10:50 PM
rjch: look in /Library/Receipts/

rjch
30th May 2007, 11:05 PM
Dear Forgie,

I had a look. It is horrifying. I've got so much stuff in there. But why is the size of the files so much smaller than what I downloaded? Could I use that .pkg to update another machine? Would you grace me with a simple answer?

AusMac
30th May 2007, 11:16 PM
MacHD/Library/Packages/Your software download

rjch
30th May 2007, 11:44 PM
The 10.4.9.pkg is 5.1mb. The actual download 10.4.9[I]ntgel.dmg is 308.2mb. What is the difference?

AusMac
31st May 2007, 08:26 AM
you downloaded the update?

Software update can and does provide smaller updates because it does apply that which you are missing only.

If any of this is a bother or a confusion .. then simply idownnload all your updates from here http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Currawong
31st May 2007, 09:54 AM
Warning, do NOT ever delete anything in /Library/Receipts! If you do, you wont be able to repair permissions on your computer!

Also, the contents of /Library/Receipts are only the remainder after software is installed, not the entire package.

If you told Software Update to save downloaded updated, they will be in /Library/Packages.

:)