PDA

View Full Version : avi and toast [merged]

natakim
17th January 2005, 05:56 PM
ihave some films that are in avi, i want to burn them to vcd. if i drag the avi file to toast (version 6) i believe that toast encodes them to the relevent mpeg formats. is this the case? what are the mpegs for vcd? will i need to use ffmpegx to convert the avi files first and then drag the converted files to toast? if i am using a g3 500mhz imac and the avi file is 230mb how long should the conversion take? so many questions!!!!!!!

Alessiman
17th January 2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by natakim@Jan 17 2005, 05:56 PM
ihave some films that are in avi, i want to burn them to vcd. if i drag the avi file to toast (version 6) i believe that toast encodes them to the relevent mpeg formats. is this the case? what are the mpegs for vcd? will i need to use ffmpegx to convert the avi files first and then drag the converted files to toast? if i am using a g3 500mhz imac and the avi file is 230mb how long should the conversion take? so many questions!!!!!!!
If you have the right codecs installed (and i assume you are try to convert from Divx to DVD) then toast will do it automatically

However. The end result is crap ol la. and on a G3 you would be lucky to do the decode in 4-5 hours

The only way I found to get anything resembling decent output is Dr Divx to MOV then let iDVD do the conversion for me.

pipsqeek
17th January 2005, 06:53 PM
That's funny.

I say that because I have made VCD's quite a fair bit.

I have found that iMovie really makes ultra crap VCD's. I've just made the movie in iMovie, then rather then export it, go to the actual directory where the file is stored and stick that into Toast. Make the VCD and the quality has always come out better for me.

Try both. Its only 20 a CD these days.

soul assasin
17th January 2005, 08:23 PM
Hmm just a suggestion...

Wouldn't you be better off converting them to SVCD instead of VCD?

SVCD is alot better quality...But depending on your DivX/XviD encoding it may not be appropriate.

pipsqeek
17th January 2005, 10:42 PM
Sorry, I meant SVCD.

Yes, the quality is better and you also get some menu features.

pipsqeek

natakim
17th January 2005, 11:55 PM
so i have tried using both ffmpegx and toast to convert the avi files to vcd, with toast i drag the file accross and select vcd in the left tick box, then click on the rec. it takes a couple of hours to encode, not the swiftest system is mine, and then burn. ffmpegx i select the avi file and then on the quick presets vcd. i enter the length of the source, minutes, and the size. sparing the rest of the details for now, the end result is three files; movie-1.mpeg, movie.1mv, movie.mp2. i have burnt both and the end result is a black screen with no sound when i try to play them back. am i even close to creating a vcd?

Disko
18th January 2005, 12:00 AM
*merged thread*

natakim - why not keep it all in the same thread to avoid confusion? :)

natakim
18th January 2005, 01:47 PM
ok so i sorted a couple of the problems, missing codec, i now convert to vcd format using ffmpegx which gives me three files; movie-1.mpeg (both video and audio), movie.1mv and movie.mp2 (video and audio respectively). have tried burning both with toast and can play them back with vlc as a vcd. question, are the both vcd formats, meaning i thought vcd was mpeg1 for both video and audio, will all formats work in a device that plays vcds, namely a stero that plugs into the television (i assume it is a karaoke player)?????

purana
18th January 2005, 02:19 PM
You'd need to mux those files produced above.. ie .mp2 etc into an mpeg stream, As at the moment you have the audio in the mp2 and the video in the other file... I am yet to tinker with osx to do some of this stuff.

The real test will be when I grab the .REC file from my PVR and do some processing on it to convert to mpeg streams and then remove commercials etc.

EDIT: someone mentioned to me mpegworks (think that was someone on this forum) I looked at it but not really used it much yet.

natakim
18th January 2005, 02:32 PM
is the mux-ing done by toast automatically, when i dragged the movie.1mv file to toast it asks whether the audio and video are seperate , i click yes and then locate the audio mp2 and drop it in. must say the quality is average, have many vcds and they play smoothly, picture sharpness not so good, but what i have just burnt is rather jumpy, every five seconds or so it pauses, can i improve this???

natakim
18th January 2005, 02:34 PM
one other thing, why dont i have bin and cue files, only can find the three above mentioned????

larfinboy
18th January 2005, 02:56 PM
Just to clear up a couple of things.

Mpeg 1 layer 1 is video - this is the .1mv file
Mpeg 1 layer 2 is audio - this is the .mp2 file
Mpeg 1 layer 3 is also audio and this would be an mp3 file

All of these are parts of Mpeg 1.
Toast should probably handle the muxing of the files but I haven't done this on the Mac yet. I used a tool called VCDGear on the PC and on Linux.

The cue and bin files are for CD images so you'd get these once Toast muxes the audio and video files, then adds the other bits to make the VCD.

I've found that a lot of DVD players really don't handle SVCD very well. It's not part of the DVD standard. If possible, it's better to make a CVD which is a sub-set of DVD.

natakim
18th January 2005, 04:00 PM
if the sysytem in question won't play dvd then i assume this means it wouldn't be able to play cvd, is this correct? also what about xvcd, does this offer a better quality final product and is it within the vcd family, ie if a system plays vcd can it play xvcd????