PDA

View Full Version : Can i region free my dvd drive in new imac?

keddi
29th May 2007, 10:20 AM
Hi guys!

I just bought a few dvd's from the UK which are reg 2 and I have to change the reg code on my drive to play them, but it will only let me do it 4 times? Can I make the drive reg free at all so I use them all the time???

thanks for your help

Kerri :thumbup:

rickyd
29th May 2007, 10:24 AM
I don't think you can, but after you set it to region 2, it will play all DVD's from region 2. That's why region 0 DVD's are the best - they can be played anywhere.

hawker
29th May 2007, 10:27 AM
That's really annoying, as region 2 dvd's are suppose to be back compatible with region 4 (both PAL) and vise versa. Something must be wrong in later mac dvd drives, because in my old iMac G4 and PowerBook I've been able to watch all my UK DVD's without it asking for a region change. Same with my mates xBox...

One region to rule them all IMHO.....

In any case, just watch your DVD's in VLC (that's what I do now)... Open up VLC, and go 'File > Open Disc' and then just hit enter (if the DVD is mounted it'll direct straight to it :)

Razer
29th May 2007, 10:30 AM
VLC is the answer

Bart Smastard
29th May 2007, 10:41 AM
VLC is the answer

Only problem is VLC sometimes shows wavy horizontal lines through the picture... well, at least that what happens on my eMac :(

hawker
29th May 2007, 10:44 AM
interlace issue, has been reported, hopefully fixed in an update!

OziMac
29th May 2007, 10:49 AM
If only VLC worked within Front Row somehow!

I've had all sorts of problems with this Dr Katz DVD I ordered from Amazon - obviously it's Region 1, but it's an impenetrable Region 1 - I can't play it on my Mac Mini / MBP even after changing the region, and it only works on the more expensive multiregion DVD players - what the hell is up with that?

Kuma
29th May 2007, 11:01 AM
VLC works fine on my iMac (6 months old) still wont penetrate region codes on the powerbook though (3 years old).

MrJesseRoss
29th May 2007, 11:03 AM
That's really annoying, as region 2 dvd's are suppose to be back compatible with region 4 (both PAL) and vise versa.

Are you sure? I know that some of my DVDs from the UK are region 2+4 (like [I]The Mighty Boosh[/I)], so they work on an unmodded DVD player in Australia, but some others are plain region 2, so don't work. I've never heard of region 2 being compatible with 4., but if that is so... :( It doesn't work!

par3182
29th May 2007, 11:14 AM

Have you tried Mira (http://twistedmelon.com/)?

timdotexe
29th May 2007, 11:40 AM
Are you sure? I know that some of my DVDs from the UK are region 2+4 (like [i]The Mighty Boosh[/I)], so they work on an unmodded DVD player in Australia, but some others are plain region 2, so don't work. I've never heard of region 2 being compatible with 4., but if that is so... :( It doesn't work!

That is right, region 2 and region 4 are NOT compatible as was suggested. They are both seperate regions in their own right. What you will find though is many DVD's are region 2+4, which is often not specifially stated on the packaging. Hence some region 2 dvds play fine on a region 4 player.

Also worthy of mention is region 0 as mentioned in another post. I believe region 0 is technically not a real region code and actually means the disc is region 1+2+3+4+5+6, or has no region encoding at all.

Byrd
29th May 2007, 11:51 AM
Well, what model drive is in your new iMac (as should be listed in Apple's System Profiler)

JB

MacDave
29th May 2007, 11:53 AM
Hi guys!

I just bought a few dvd's from the UK which are reg 2 and I have to change the reg code on my drive to play them, but it will only let me do it 4 times? Can I make the drive reg free at all so I use them all the time???

thanks for your help

Kerri :thumbup:

I suggest using MacTheRipper to copy your DVDs so they're region free. You can only change regions five times and then a vendor reset is required.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14414/mactheripper

Dave

MrJesseRoss
29th May 2007, 11:54 AM
Also worthy of mention is region 0 as mentioned in another post. I believe region 0 is technically not a real region code and actually means the disc is region 1+2+3+4+5+6, or has no region encoding at all.

Yes, region 0 means all regions, and is not a region in its own right.

Thankyou, Ross Noble, for releasing your DVDs as multi-region. Even though your DVDs took ages to get here, I could watch my UK copies with the greatest of ease!

thomas
29th May 2007, 11:58 AM

I've had all sorts of problems with this Dr Katz DVD I ordered from Amazon - obviously it's Region 1, but it's an impenetrable Region 1 - I can't play it on my Mac Mini / MBP even after changing the region, and it only works on the more expensive multiregion DVD players - what the hell is up with that?

What a great show Dr Katz was. I didn't realise there is a DVD available :D

OziMac
29th May 2007, 12:04 PM
What a great show Dr Katz was. I didn't realise there is a DVD available :D

Yep - seasons 1 and 2 so far, out of 6. I must confess though that I bought dodgy VCD versions off Amazon years ago, but the DVD is so much more satisfying, has commentaries and all. :)