PDA

View Full Version : 5G iPods

Creosote
16th January 2005, 11:00 PM
Does anyone have the slightest clue as to when any product of the iPod line will be updated? Any usual dates where they update them, or how many days have passed since they updated previous versions, etc. Anyone got any idea? This would help hugely as to what iPod i may be purchasing. Even if someone has a link to a site which has stats to how long its been since they released newer models in the past. Thanks!

hawker
16th January 2005, 11:05 PM
check out www.apple-history.com for when iPods were released and discontinued. 5GB iPods have not been around since iPod first came out :) iPod Shuffle is the iPod for now ;)

Creosote
16th January 2005, 11:17 PM
Sorry, i meant 5G ipods as in 5th generation, after the 4G ones.

--Thanks for the link! :D

Creosote
16th January 2005, 11:30 PM
According to that site looks like the updated models will be out July this year. There was 2 years difference between the first and second one and one year between the second and third one, so hopefully a new one will be out this year...fingers crossed.

gurgle
16th January 2005, 11:30 PM
check out the macrumors buyers guide

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

think thats the type of thing you're lookin for

snax
16th January 2005, 11:35 PM
I think it's time for a departure of design with the 5G's, don't you? Apple have sold a bunch of them, now serious change is needed to keep their popularity and momentum moving.

For the 5G Pod I'd like to see an all white box, kinda frosted or like the iMac G5. Perhaps a bigger screen, and definitely a smaller unit (isn't that always the way?).

Features are a different thing all together, and all I can say to that is it's inevitable that it will one day come with an FM tuner, line in, and of course colour screen.

LCGuy
16th January 2005, 11:39 PM
Please don't mention the 5G iPod. Apple hasn't even delivered my 4G (ordered nearly a month ago) yet! :angry:

Creosote
17th January 2005, 12:23 AM
thanks nicmcr, that's more of what i had in mind...think i'm gonna go for the ipod photo 40gb though.

Yeh i think they will have to change the design to keep the demand. Although i think the clickwhell is so cool! it kicks all those other crappy players ass'! It looks miles better than having all these buttons everywhere.

LCGuy sorry man you must be pissed off! did you order it from the apple store? Man that would be annoying.

LCGuy
17th January 2005, 01:39 AM
Yeah i ordered the 20GB iPod from the local AppleCentre. Apparently there's a huge backlog of orders and they can't get them out the door fast enough.

icant
17th January 2005, 04:17 AM
I've seen those iPods for sale at Harvey Norman, Myer, Melbourne Airport, and Target. Can't remember if I saw them at Officeworks even. Don't these places have stocks of iPods?

Just curious. I try to stay away from the iPods -- might be tempted to buy one.

Phillip
18th January 2005, 09:59 PM
They won't have update for some time IMO. The line up is pretty much perfect for the time being. Maybe they will discontinue the 40 GB iPod and put the 40 GB photo to replace it for the $399 price point. Then lower the 60 GB for $499. Then the photo iPod will really take off.

Creosote
18th January 2005, 10:58 PM
Wicked - It's so exciting seeing the iPod progress, and trying to predict what will happen next. I don't think i'll be able to sleep tonight, i'm going down to an apple reseller tomorrow to get some prices and try out the iPod photo!!!

MightyAtom
19th January 2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Phillip@Jan 18 2005, 10:29 PM
Maybe they will discontinue the 40 GB iPod and put the 40 GB photo to replace it for the $399 price point.
I certainly hope not, the iPod photo has shitty skip protection and battery charge time. The two main reasons I don't want one, though the colour screen is highly appealing.