PDA

View Full Version : Disc image help

doPi
26th May 2007, 10:32 AM
Ok so I have tried to google this problem but with no joy.

What I would like to do is copy one of my own home made dvdís onto my desktop as a dvd image. However is there a way to have the file as a DVD file not a mountable iso file with OS-x??

In other words have a file that frontrow or DVD player seeís as a DVD disc?

I have tried saving as an image but this gives me a mountable iso.

Hope that made some sense to someone

Thanks

Byrd
26th May 2007, 10:40 AM
A mountable ISO image is just that - an image saved to your desktop? It doesn't have to be mounted all the time.

Toast 7/8 allow you to do this easily, or try Apple's Disk Utility.

JB

Mac Ram
26th May 2007, 10:49 AM
Neither frontrow nor dvd player are able to play video ts files off the hdd. You need to google for something called dvd assist. I think that's what you're trying to achieve?

g5agogo
26th May 2007, 10:53 AM
I play video ts folders off the hdd all the time with DVDPlayer.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong ;-)

Mac Ram
26th May 2007, 11:01 AM
I play video ts files off the hdd all the time with DVDPlayer.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong ;-)

Maybe it's me :confused: Are you using tiger?

doPi
26th May 2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys, I want it to be seen as a dvd Disc not a mountable disc.

I guess I want it to be mounted all the time in that case.

On a side note, I have spent the past few days and a few $$$ trying to get Divx movies to play with surround sound. To date I have had no luck.

I now own DVD ripper, Divx pro and Dr divx. Problems have been

DVD Ripper is the easiest and best results so far. Simply insert my home made DVD with surround sound and set the output to Divx. Great piece of software. However when I play this through my stand alone divx player via USB hard drive the sound is in MP3 2.0.

So then I was told that Dr Divx would encode a .vob file with the ac3 soundtrack so I gave that a go. Ripped to .vob with dvd ripper, ( this gave me the option to keep the ac3 track) then converted the .vob to divx with dr divx. Unfortunately that gave me Dolby digital 2.0 sound only. ( also the audio video sync was way out )

I have searched through Divx forums but there is not much Mac info out there. I really donít want to split the audio video and try to insert it back into the video file. Not sure I have the tech know how for that lol

Can anyone here help

Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

BTW i am using PPC imac and intec macbook. with Tiger

g5agogo
26th May 2007, 11:27 AM
Mac Ram,

DVD Player
File
Open DVD Media...
then select the Video_TS folder that you wish to play.

cheers!

soulman
26th May 2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys, I want it to be seen as a dvd Disc not a mountable disc.But a DVD disc is a mountable disk. Disks mount in the filesystem, that's the way it works. You can mount a physical disk or a virtual disk from an image file. Those are your options. Is it that the volume is the wrong type?

I guess I want it to be mounted all the time in that case.Put it in your login items perhaps.

doPi
26th May 2007, 11:41 AM
Ok I have not explained myself correctly , I apologise.

So I have ripped an iso disc image of my dvd to the hard drive, when I click / mount the iso file it opens the folder with the video and Audio TS folders.
However what I want is to click on the disc image and it plays the DVD. Just like it was a DVD disc I inserted in the DVD driveÖ

I hope that makes it a bit clearer

Mac Ram
26th May 2007, 11:53 AM
Mac Ram,

DVD Player
File
Open DVD Media...
then select the Video_TS folder that you wish to play.

cheers!

Yep - idiot of the day award for me.

purana
26th May 2007, 12:02 PM
However what I want is to click on the disc image and it plays the DVD. Just like it was a DVD disc I inserted in the DVD driveÖ

Can't happen, as if you associate ISO files with DVD player so that when you click on it it loads the DVD Player app, it probably won't know what to do with it.

Think you will have to stick to the usual method, of clicking to mount it and then loading dvd player to play it.

g5agogo
26th May 2007, 12:33 PM
doPi

Yep, I see your problem. As purana says, Disk Mounter has to mount the image first if you do it that way, whereas if you insert a physial optical disk, disk mounter mounts it and then starts up dvd player. You might have more luck in selecting the Video_TS folder(s) and using automator to play it through dvd player - although having said that, I'm not sure if that is an option with Frontrow, if that's what you intend, as I never use it.

Mac Ram,

I bet I have many more idiot of the day awards than you.

cheers