PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto Organisation of files

mattmac
26th May 2007, 03:30 AM
Hi!

In iTunes I like the option of having to choose between the organisation of files and folders automatically for you or Manual yourself!

But in iPhoto it doesn't appear to have this option. Can anyone confirm this?

With itunes, the way it organises the files/folders actually does make sence and is fairly easy to get through, iphoto uses strange ways and its quite frustrating to find a certain file.

Anyone know much about what im going on about here?

Thanks

Matt

cgollner
26th May 2007, 05:51 AM
Yes. You can not change it that I know of. Its a year folder which contains month folders. Originals and editted files are stored separately in mirrored stores. I actually like how it stores them, very much like Picasa which is what I used prior to going Mac.

Chris.

tintinaujapon
26th May 2007, 06:10 AM
Yes, you don't touch iPhoto files/folders or everything goes to pot.

The simple folder system on Windows is great, except that when you have iPhoto on a Mac it leaves it for dead. Every time I go over my parents place and they want to show me a photo, I have to sit while they check every single folder in their My Pictures.

Mctastic
26th May 2007, 08:54 AM
dunno if you'll noticed, but iphoto '06 created 3 main folders(aside from the year folders e.g. 2006, 2007). Data, Originals, Modified. Data saves all thumbnails, Originals, the original hi-res imported photos, modified, all pics that have been modified.

it's much of an improvement & if ever your lib goes to shit, you can delete your albumdata.xml, librarydata and other pref files & simply dump the data folder, and drag/add originals & modified back into a newly created iphoto library. itunes will arrange them according to date etc.
alternatively u may start iphoto holding down the apple+option keys, .. and here you will be presented with options to rebuild your thumbnails etc...

new2mac
26th May 2007, 09:08 AM
remember automator actions can help you too

mattmac
26th May 2007, 03:40 PM
Cheers Guys, I guess I'll get use to it :)

Thanks for that tip Mctastic, I think I'll delete the 10,000 photos i just imported and start over organising them properly :|

fiark
26th May 2007, 05:53 PM
*deleted*

Mctastic
26th May 2007, 06:09 PM
Fiark.. you are reffering to the view option in iPhoto. what i was talking about relates to the actual iphoto folders in your user/pictures/*

fiark
26th May 2007, 06:26 PM
*deleted*

Mctastic
26th May 2007, 06:52 PM
ok. i'm using iphoto 6... and as far as i know, doesn't do the year, date, day sub folder setup that v5 did...

whats your version?

edit: nevermind Fiark.. my mind left me a few moments ago & i wasn't paying attention. got to go to the fridge, get another six lagers. that should get my systems defragged :D

fiark
26th May 2007, 06:57 PM
*deleted*

Mctastic
26th May 2007, 07:07 PM
damn! you're absolutely right! but i have no problem with that. least i i can look and identify the different occasions i've added pics to my iphoto lib..

anyhow, that doesn't affect if you have to re add these folders to a newly created library. whereas with the old version, .. the problem i had was that thumbnails resided in the same folder as the rolls, .. hence you would end up with duplicates, .. some were originals, some thumbs & u had to manual go in and sort these files. also modified pics resided in there with originals and thumbs & made this a rather arduous task. now imagine you had a library of 10Gb of pics like i do. that is an absolute nightmare..

elastic_band
26th May 2007, 07:36 PM
You don't even need to know where the original file is in the finder.

I just drag the photo from iPhoto and drop it into the dialog box! Done!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/elastic_band/iphotodrag.jpg

jubilantjeremy
26th May 2007, 07:43 PM
tintinaujapon, give your parents picasa (bought out by, and distributed by google) - the manual system they are using (searching for files in their My Pictures folder) is really outmoded and inefficient.

http://picasa.google.com/

I think it's the only windows program that's actually better than the mac equivalent. It seems to allow a bit more control than iphoto, and runs very fast (though my pc has 1gb ram). Really easy to use.

Importing photos from cameras etc is made really easy, as is editing them and then eventually emailing them. If you sign them up for picasa web albums, then it's literally a one click action to upload them to a web gallery. It also integrates with gmail, and will also send photos via outlook express (or some web service called 'hello').

In previous versions, I think picasa stored all the picture edit data (effects, filters, rotations etc) in a .dat file in the folder with the pictures; now, however, it has the option to 'save changes', which writes them to the .jpg and saves the old one in a hidden folder called 'originals', all within the XP 'My Pictures' folder. Good system.

Here is a shot from a version that is a bit old :

http://www.topdrawerdownloads.com/images/screens/picasa_screen.jpg

- Jeremy

DJY
26th May 2007, 08:05 PM
Cheers Guys, I guess I'll get use to it :)

Thanks for that tip Mctastic, I think I'll delete the 10,000 photos i just imported and start over organising them properly :|

With that many photos...
I'd DEFINITELY recommend grabbing iPhoto Buddy
to allow to you set up more than one library... and then really ea sily switch between them!

Amazing little app.
Will keep everything nice and fast too!
I only just recent ended up having a look at it - and I'm a huge fan already!

mattmac
27th May 2007, 01:18 PM
Any big difference between iPhoto 6 and 5?

detail
27th May 2007, 01:35 PM
The biggest difference seems to be the way the thumbnails are displayed which means that scolling through the photos is 10 times faster. iPhoto 6 was very much much faster on my G4 400.

There are some basic editing adjustments to photos in 6.

And of course the full screen photos. They look good.

iPirate
27th May 2007, 02:16 PM
alternatively u may start iphoto holding down the apple+option keys, .. and here you will be presented with options to rebuild your thumbnails etc...

I tried that but instead it hid all my other open applications :(

DJY
27th May 2007, 04:21 PM
I recently tried deleting a heap of photos in iPhoto after I exported them to a new library (I have started using iPhoto Buddy).

I am only trying to delete files inside iPhoto as I am aware playing in Finder creates problems...
but now I find I still see placemarkers for the photos I deleted?

When scrolling through the library you see the actual images...
but when you stop they become grey dotted squares instead of the images still with the right file names?!??!!

Every time I try to Empty the Trash from iPhoto menu - it crashes iPhoto?
Any idea?

The closest option I came up with in Help - was to go through FInder and check if any of the images were locked?

HELP!?!?!?

Mctastic
27th May 2007, 07:00 PM
DJY...

u will need to rebuild your small thumbnails/thumbnails, recover orphaned photos... see pic attached.
start up iPhoto, straight after launch hold down option + apple, . . you will be presented with rebuild options.
iPirate, if you are using a version of iPhoto before 6, u won't be able to do the rebuild....

tintinaujapon
27th May 2007, 07:05 PM
tintinaujapon, give your parents picasa (bought out by, and distributed by google) - the manual system they are using (searching for files in their My Pictures folder) is really outmoded and inefficient.

http://picasa.google.com/

I think it's the only windows program that's actually better than the mac equivalent.

- Jeremy

I'll recommend that to them next time I'm in their neck of the woods, thanks Jeremy.

DJY
27th May 2007, 07:16 PM
DJY...

u will need to rebuild your small thumbnails/thumbnails, recover orphaned photos... see pic attached.
start up iPhoto, straight after launch hold down option + apple, . . you will be presented with rebuild options.
iPirate, if you are using a version of iPhoto before 6, u won't be able to do the rebuild....

I was hoping a rebuild would fix things...
I couldn't find how to do it though - via the HELP.

Thanks for the tips though!
I just tried rebuilding small thumbnails to no avail.
Will try some of the other options next.

thanks for the info!
FIngers crossed!

Mctastic
27th May 2007, 07:21 PM
sweet... select all the options if you like, no harm done.... i've used it successfully....

DJY
27th May 2007, 07:50 PM
Just tried selecting all except the complete rebuild the library...
to no avail.
Took forever... but now I'll try and select that one!

soulman
27th May 2007, 07:59 PM
...if you are using a version of iPhoto before 6, u won't be able to do the rebuild....In V5, hold Option+Command+Shift to get the rebuild options. It has been possible to do this since at least V3 but the keys keep changing.

Mctastic
27th May 2007, 08:01 PM
ok Soulman.... good to know. thx for that....

DJY
27th May 2007, 08:34 PM
Final update
I've now tried one, several, and all the rebuild options - to no avail.

I still have alot of grey dotted line placemarkers - of the photos I previously deleted into the trash.
Trying to manually delete them again - results in iPhoto crashing.

DJY
28th May 2007, 07:39 PM
Update
have manually deleted 1140 grey dotted placemarkers (aka former photos) from my library into the iPhoto Trash once again...
but whenever I try and delete them it crashes iPhoto.

Any ideas?