PDA

View Full Version : Help: apps won't open

mctext
25th May 2007, 02:10 PM
Just restarted my MB and now a whole pile of apps won't open: MS Office, Keynote, etc.
I think it's all the old PPC apps, so there may be something wrong with Rosetta??
Tried the most recent system updates but got an error message that none could be installed -- may be a symptom of the problem.
Please, any advice would be most welcome as I have heaps of work to do today and over the weekend.

mct

lucious
25th May 2007, 02:12 PM
Create a new user account, and see if you can open thos Apps in that new account...

mctext
25th May 2007, 02:22 PM
Tried a new account: but still the same problem.
The new account has admin. but the Apple updates still won't install.
What can this be?

mct

gelfie
25th May 2007, 03:25 PM
Have you run monolingual to strip PPC binaries? If you do not exclude one of the system libraries, then rosetta gets destroyed.

Archive Install will fix it.

mctext
25th May 2007, 03:31 PM
gelfie,
Many thanks: yep it's a post-Monolingual problem.
There should be a warning on the packet!

mct

mctext
25th May 2007, 03:56 PM
Is it possible just to put the relevant system library back in place?
Which one is it and where might I find a copy?

mct

mctext
26th May 2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks for everyone's help.
I've held off on an Archive and Install because I'll lose all my system (etc.) updates and they're impossible to get on dial-up -- which I'm stuck with for the next fortnight at least.
I have a very recent clone of the MB HD (done with SuperDuper).
Can I do either of the following things:
A) Find the missing System Library files and drag them back?
B) Clone backwards from the external HD to the MB?
Is there a downside to approaching it in either of these ways?

mct
PS: The Dictionary widget has also shit itself -- maybe it needs some non-English stuff?

mctext
5th June 2007, 04:52 PM
Got advice via PM that I could delete the previous sys folder after an archive and reinstall (A&R).
I held off deleting it for a while ... just in case.
Turned out that that A&R installs the standard OS X fonts from the system disk, but *not* any you've installed since.
In my case, that meant that heaps of fonts went missing.
I had to bring them back from the ~/Library/Fonts folder on the previous system to the equivalent folder on the current system.
It's still not 100% but it's OK and I can live with it.
So I guess the warning is: take extreme care with Monolingual.
A nice set of rules from one of you super-users out there would be a great asset -- reduced HD space without the pain?

mct

PS (edit): sorry this has been so long -- I've been away for a while and out of Mac land.