PDA

View Full Version : 17" G4 PB RAM & "Top Case" Questions

25th May 2007, 09:33 AM
Hi all,

I recently purchased an ex-demo 17” G4 PB high res display) from an Apple Reseller (I have a thesis to complete, but unable to afford a MBP at present).

I upgraded the RAM from 512MB to 2GB (2 x 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SODIMM), which was required to be ordered in. The machine failed to boot when I took it home, so off it went back to their Service Centre.

When the PB was able to boot and I was finally able to check the hardware specs, one of the RAM slots was occupied with PC2-4200 RAM 533MHz, but the other slot was occupied with PC2-3200RAM 255MHz (“Reversed”). Is this normal for a 17” G4 PB? If not, I assume I’m entitled to return it to have the correct RAM, which I paid for, installed?

Secondly, the Service Report indicates that the “top case” required replacement in order for the PB to boot. What does the “top case” consist of? Is it the external body only, or does it include the LCD display as well?

I should also add that the PB serial number does not appear under “About This Mac”, so the logic board has also previously been replaced.

Finally, I attempted to install anti-virus software from the SuperDrive, which has now crashed and frozen the machine. Back to the Service Centre again...

Many thanks!

jeremy_warnock
25th May 2007, 10:44 AM
Hi all,

I recently purchased an ex-demo 17” G4 PB high res display) from an Apple Reseller (I have a thesis to complete, but unable to afford a MBP at present).

I upgraded the RAM from 512MB to 2GB (2 x 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SODIMM), which was required to be ordered in. The machine failed to boot when I took it home, so off it went back to their Service Centre.

When the PB was able to boot and I was finally able to check the hardware specs, one of the RAM slots was occupied with PC2-4200 RAM 533MHz, but the other slot was occupied with PC2-3200RAM 255MHz (“Reversed”). Is this normal for a 17” G4 PB? If not, I assume I’m entitled to return it to have the correct RAM, which I paid for, installed?

Secondly, the Service Report indicates that the “top case” required replacement in order for the PB to boot. What does the “top case” consist of? Is it the external body only, or does it include the LCD display as well?

I should also add that the PB serial number does not appear under “About This Mac”, so the logic board has also previously been replaced.

Finally, I attempted to install anti-virus software from the SuperDrive, which has now crashed and frozen the machine. Back to the Service Centre again...

Many thanks!

The top case has the power switch - contact no boot.

as for your ram you have two different speeds, I would think both chips should be the same if you purchased them together. If you upgraded them yourself one at a time then this would be acceptible

vanlan2010
25th May 2007, 11:27 AM
1. It's not a brand new machine so logic board replacement is not a big deal. I can live with it

2. No serial number because the logic board has been replaced

3. You installed 3rd party software and it crashed. I coud not see the reason why it needs to be returned to Service Centre unless the Superdrive was the cause.

jeremy_warnock
25th May 2007, 12:12 PM
why are you bothering with anti-virus software? Their are no os x viruses, its like an Eskimo buying ice

PeterS
25th May 2007, 12:51 PM
Hi all,

When the PB was able to boot and I was finally able to check the hardware specs, one of the RAM slots was occupied with PC2-4200 RAM 533MHz, but the other slot was occupied with PC2-3200RAM 255MHz (“Reversed”).

I am a bit confused here. It seems you purchased some extra RAM which apparently was installed by the seller [or so you thought]. Is that correct? Yet when you checked the specs that RAM was not in place. Correct? Why are you delaying returning the PB and demanding to have the RAM which you paid for to be installed?

Sorry if I have missed something.