PDA

View Full Version : Apple sued over MacBook Display

iRyan21
22nd May 2007, 08:59 PM
According to this article (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=12&articleId=9020299&intsrc=hm_topic), a class action lawsuit has been filed against Apple claiming that the MacBook doesn't display millions of colours, and that the screens only provides 256k colours.

Apparently the MacBook screen is "grainy" and "unreliable". I haven't used the MacBook that much, but in my experience it's a pretty good screen!

Anyone agree/disagree?

Linux_insidev2
22nd May 2007, 09:02 PM
According to this article (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=12&articleId=9020299&intsrc=hm_topic), a class action lawsuit has been filed against Apple claiming that the MacBook doesn't display millions of colours, and that the screens only provides 256k colours.

Apparently the MacBook screen is "grainy" and "unreliable". I haven't used the MacBook that much, but in my experience it's a pretty good screen!

Anyone agree/disagree?

i hope it goes ahead, i hate the grainyness and being told that i'm seeing things.

Maybe they will be forced to replace all of the displays affected.

purana
22nd May 2007, 09:04 PM
It's also stated that between XP and OSX on these machines its noticeable and believed to be a software issue with the OSX drivers?

Linux_insidev2
22nd May 2007, 09:06 PM
It's also stated that between XP and OSX on these machines its noticeable and believed to be a software issue with the OSX drivers?

I haven't noticed a difference on the two.

Some pc's with the ATI X1600 had this fixed with a firmware upgrade.

Perhaps the driving voltage for the liquid-crystals is dirty or inadequate because to me it looks more like a manufacturing defect.

grep
22nd May 2007, 10:35 PM
I wonder if this was changed in the recently released MacBooks ...

bartron
22nd May 2007, 11:17 PM
Eh?.....I've never seen this problem. Not on my wifes Macbook (glossy scren) and not on my Macbook Pro (matte screen). Nor can I see any difference between XP and OS X or these laptops and any other laptop.

The only difference I see in the Macbook screen is in the coating used to get the gloss (it creates banding in anything reflected if you look closely) but is common to all LCD screens I've seen that use the same coating, not just those from Apple....anyway, when focusing in the screen the effect goes away.

If this was a call that came though my helpdesk my first thought would be to check that the display was set to millions and not 256 in the display prefrence pane. I would not be supprised if this was the first thing any Apple support tech said as well (and if Apple are like any other helpdesk, each call goes to a different random operator so they would be hearing this multiple times).

If the screen was displaying only 256 colours it would be bloody obvious and there would be no way Apple could get away with shipping an entire product line and not have 99% of people notice.

Bartron

BlowMeDown
22nd May 2007, 11:21 PM
It's America, they'll sue you if your put one less pickle on the Big Mac.

spilla
22nd May 2007, 11:26 PM
If the screen was displaying only 256 colours it would be bloody obvious and there would be no way Apple could get away with shipping an entire product line and not have 99% of people notice.

But what about 256,000 colours? Not so noticeable to the average Joe. :)

bartron
22nd May 2007, 11:50 PM
But what about 256,000 colours? Not so noticeable to the average Joe. :)

oh yeah.....missed that little 'k' hiding there...my bad

so did these guys go and count all the colours on the screen manually or something?...:confused:

Bartron

marc
23rd May 2007, 12:07 AM
From what I've read around the net: It seems like the issue is that the MacBook and MacBook Pro screens use 6bit per subpixel colour... giving them a total of 262k colours (with dithering), not "millions" (8bit per subpixel) as stated by Apple.

It also seems like this has been the case on PowerBooks forever and is also the case on ALL laptop screens.

Some other manufacturers might have to change the specs on their websites...

I don't know where this leaves everyone, as it doesn't seem like 8 bit per subpixel laptop screens even exist!

(This is the info I've found from reading some bits and pieces today... I'm pretty sure it's all correct. Also, I have noticed dithering and banding on my MBP)

Linux_insidev2
23rd May 2007, 12:09 AM
oh yeah.....missed that little 'k' hiding there...my bad

so did these guys go and count all the colours on the screen manually or something?...:confused:

Bartron

No, they basically output every colour possible to the display and read it back with a special and very accurate light sensor, and the computer draws a graph of the gamut,

Also a simple gradient from black to white across the whole display will yield banding on an 8-bit display

Not to mention that apple use standard displays from another company in their machines, googling their P/N's will provide all the knowledge you need.

Linux_insidev2
23rd May 2007, 12:10 AM
From what I've read around the net: It seems like the issue is that the MacBook and MacBook Pro screens use 6bit per subpixel colour... giving them a total of 262k colours (with dithering), not "millions" (8bit per subpixel) as stated by Apple.

It also seems like this has been the case on PowerBooks forever and is also the case on ALL laptop screens.

Some other manufacturers might have to change the specs on their websites...

I don't know where this leaves everyone, as it doesn't seem like 8 bit per subpixel laptop screens even exist!

(This is the info I've found from reading some bits and pieces today... I'm pretty sure it's all correct. Also, I have noticed dithering and banding on my MBP)

I can say that the picture quality on my MBP is inferior to the Acer equivelant we have at work, the Travelmate 8210 definite banding on my macbookpro and grainyness.