PDA

View Full Version : Converting avi files to ts for Popcorn

pal69
22nd May 2007, 04:38 PM
I hope someone can assist with this I have tried everything!

I have some avi files that I want to put onto a dvd as ts files so I can use Popcorn to burn them.
My dvd player doesn't play avi files or mpegs hence why I need to convert to ts.
I have tried pretty much every program out there with no joy, I think Toast 7 or 8 will be better than my Toast 6 but as I am using a G3 Imac I am limited to what software I can use.
Can anyone help?

richbowen
22nd May 2007, 04:49 PM
Drag your AVI files into iDVD (make it look pretty if you want).

If the AVI's can't be used by iDVD then you may first need to use ffmpegx (get it from versiontracker.com) to convert to .mov files.

Burn as a disc image from iDVD (File>Save As Disc Image).

Drag that disc image into Popcorn to compress/burn :thumbup:

Mac Ram
22nd May 2007, 04:57 PM
Not infront of my Mac, but I thought you could go straight from AVI to ts files using ffmpegx?

purana
22nd May 2007, 05:02 PM
Not infront of my Mac, but I thought you could go straight from AVI to ts files using ffmpegx?

Yes you can, but I usually don't so you can then import them into another app to put menus etc on the DVD :)

pal69
25th May 2007, 10:43 AM
Hi guys
Cheers for the suggestions update.
I have tried converting the file using ffmpegx but when I drag the avi file to ffmpegx it says the file is unrecognised. I still try to convert the file and save it as a ts file but popcorn doesn't recognise the file as a ts.
I have also tried using toast which says it is encoding the file (this takes about 24 hours) and then it fails right at the end prior to the burning process.
Have also tried bringing into iDVD but the importing takes again about 24 hours and then I get a 'file failed to be imported' at the end.
Have tried most of the other applications that seem to be out there but no joy.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Mac Ram
25th May 2007, 11:11 AM
Others on here will know better than I do.

However if it was me I would try to determine the codec used (avi is just the container) and then post back with the result - this may assist. I think you can do this via ffmpegx or mpegstreamclip.

Is the file playable with VLC?

Currawong
25th May 2007, 11:20 AM
Maybe we need to find out what these avi's are...

Open the Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities).
Type: file <space> (that is, type the word "file" and a single space)
Drag one of the avi's into the terminal.
Hit Enter.
Cut and paste the output here..

pal69
25th May 2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Mac Ram
(Just emailing from work at the mo and not near my Mac)
Yes the file is playable with VLC as well as Quicktime
Cheers

Mac Ram
25th May 2007, 03:34 PM
Strange that QT plays the file and ffmpegx doesn't recognise it...

The only thing I can suggest now is to try mpeg streamclip, other than that your best bet is to do as Currawong suggests - others may be able to help based on that.

Sorry, I couldn't help any more.

patcanuck
25th May 2007, 04:22 PM
Why not have a go at the files with VisualHub? It will convert AND burn to a dvd and I'd guess you can probably get them all on the one dvd (I've burned as many as five or six .avi movies onto one dvd disk and they all play beautifully on a bog standard dvd player). :)

pal69
25th May 2007, 08:22 PM
Hi Currawong
Here is the file details
Last login: Fri May 25 18:18:25 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Desktop/Trigger\ Happy\ TV1.mov

Bodhi88
25th May 2007, 09:42 PM
Why not have a go at the files with VisualHub? It will convert AND burn to a dvd and I'd guess you can probably get them all on the one dvd (I've burned as many as five or six .avi movies onto one dvd disk and they all play beautifully on a bog standard dvd player). :)

Yep I would go with patcanuck's call with visual hub or the free version isquint
http://www.isquint.org/
I know visual hub does avi's to what ever but not 100% sure if sqint does. The hub does most formats really. very cool...

Mac Ram
25th May 2007, 09:42 PM
Hi Currawong
Here is the file details
Last login: Fri May 25 18:18:25 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Desktop/Trigger\ Happy\ TV1.mov

I don't think you hit enter after putting the file into terminal.

pal69
25th May 2007, 11:46 PM
Sorry about that, I have removed my name details for obvious reasons

Last login: Fri May 25 19:09:44 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
/Desktop/Trigger\ Happy\ TV\ -\ Best\ of\ Series\ 1.avi
/Users//Desktop/Trigger Happy TV - Best of Series 1.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI

Mac Ram
26th May 2007, 12:04 AM
sorry dude, I still think you're missing something, i.e. after .....AVI you should get something like

.....AVI, 672 x 368, 25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: Dolby AC3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)

In the above example XviD is the codec for the avi.

pal69
26th May 2007, 07:41 AM
Hi guys
tried doing a conversion to dvd with visual hub overnight and selected the 'burn to dvd' option but this morning it had not burnt and I had to use force quit to stop the program, it said it was doing step 4 or 4.
With regards to Terminal, I tried it again and go the same details as above.
Believe it or not I have been trying to figure this out now for about 2 weeks, crazy eh?
Thanks again for all your feedback, much appreciated:)

silverdreamer
26th May 2007, 06:03 PM
How old is your DVD Player, might be easier to get a new one.
I Have an LG dual DVD Player VHS cost $179 and lays the AVI files fine.

Save the frustration and stufin around.