PDA

View Full Version : So Long 17" iMac, It Was Nice Knowing You

decryption
22nd May 2007, 01:45 PM
Reports around the web state that the 17" iMac is going the way of the dodo due to falling screen prices. Why have a 17" model when you can get a 20" one for the same price?

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0705imac.html

Bigger screens, yes please :)

hawker
22nd May 2007, 01:47 PM
47" screen :)

purana
22nd May 2007, 01:51 PM
This is interesting, as I am tempted to grab an imac. I'd prefer a 20" as I think a 17" would feel odd compared to my 20" acd + mac mini.

macsyd
22nd May 2007, 01:53 PM
A question bred of ignorance... are the 24" used in the iMacs of a comparable quality to the expensive stand alone 23" screens? I would have thought that the stand alone screens were of a higher quality given they are intended for use by pro users rather than the consumer iMacs?

adam89
22nd May 2007, 02:05 PM
A question bred of ignorance... are the 24" used in the iMacs of a comparable quality to the expensive stand alone 23" screens? I would have thought that the stand alone screens were of a higher quality given they are intended for use by pro users rather than the consumer iMacs?

I'm pretty sure that Cinema Displays are manufactured by LG/Phillips and the iMac screens are made by Chimei.

Bart Smastard
22nd May 2007, 02:56 PM
So, either the Cinema displays will drop in quality or the iMac displays will increase in quality.

Which will it be Apple? I hope it's not the former; that'd really piss off the pro users.

P.S. When the 17" iMac has gone the entry level Mac will be either the Mac mini or, for a couple of hundred clams more, the base MacBook.

The MacBook got a boost last week. When will the mini get it's way overdue boost?

... OR do Apple have another trick up their sleeve?