PDA

View Full Version : Keynote and Flash

Domenic
19th May 2007, 06:40 PM
Hello,

I was wondering whether to buy iWork... I already have Microsoft Office and... I HATE it.

Anyway,

I was just thinking about Keynote's ability to export the presentations into flash (.swf). To anyone who does have iWork and has already exported to flash, what is it like? Does it keep all the animations and stuff and does it work well when placed in a website?

thanks,
domzo

rickyd
19th May 2007, 07:09 PM
I haven't personally tried it, but it is possible to export a keynote as an .swf .

P.S - where did you get your avatar?? :rolleyes:

marc
19th May 2007, 07:16 PM
How old is your mac? If it's fairly recent, then you should have a trial version of iWork installed.

Keynote is such a joy to use. I love it. I'm not that familiar with the flash export. PDF and Powerpoint export both seem to work really well though.

Domenic
Haha
i got it from the included iChat icon things!

Domenic
i used the trial ages ago!! silly me, didn't actually try anything in the trial.

slimelvis
19th May 2007, 07:33 PM
Keynote is brilliant... the ability to present a show on one screen, while on another showing current slide, next slide and notes for current slide is worth it alone

Pages is not a subsittue for Word. as a basic word processor it is clumsy and awkward. lovely for quick and dirty desktop publishing, but poor as a word processor.

DJY
19th May 2007, 08:59 PM
Keynote is brilliant... the ability to present a show on one screen, while on another showing current slide, next slide and notes for current slide is worth it alone

Powerpoint on a Mac does this as well.
I find MS Office on a Mac essential... and so much nicer than on a PeeCee!

mvjs
19th May 2007, 09:05 PM
Powerpoint on a Mac does this as well.
I find MS Office on a Mac essential... and so much nicer than on a PeeCee!

I don't really see any reasons why Microsoft Office is essential? iWork can read .doc and .ppt files. Or NeoOffice/OpenOffice will read .doc, .ppt, .xls files. I really dislike the Office interface. It feels old, ugly and well, Microsoft.

DJY
19th May 2007, 09:17 PM
I don't really see any reasons why Microsoft Office is essential? iWork can read .doc and .ppt files. Or NeoOffice/OpenOffice will read .doc, .ppt, .xls files. I really dislike the Office interface. It feels old, ugly and well, Microsoft.

Complicated word documents... often with lots of sections / tables / formatting and the like...
that occasionally other packages don't play nicely with...
lots of professional excel spreadsheets that I use / create / modify / share with a range of people on PeeCee's, and a heap of Powerpoint files from Windoze that I often am required to modify.

My entire work domain is Windoze based.

homodelphinus
19th May 2007, 11:56 PM
Keynote does not keep all animations when exporting to another format (including flash). If you export to flash, powerpoint or other format it does not perform exactly as it does in Keynote and it does substitute some nice animations for some other crappy ones. It also does not perform the animations as smoothly or as quickly as in the original keynote.

I do find that exporting to flash is a viable alternative to exporting as powerpoint when you want to share a presentation with windoze users as it does perform the presentation more accurately than the powerpoint exported version.

Keynote is brilliant/spectacular if you have ever used powerpoint you will never want to go back to using it once you have used Keynote.

Pages is quite good and makes things look great but it does not have the flexibility for 'some' things that MS Word does (unfortunately).

Well worth it overall as a combined package however.