PDA

View Full Version : Appleworks 6.2.9

silverdreamer
19th May 2007, 04:41 PM
Have a speadsheet file originally created useing Appleworks 6.2.9 on my old i-Book running OSX 10.2.8.

After transferring all my files from the i-Book to my new Macbook. I find this spreadsheet crashes appleworks everytime I try to add data. It is the only file that does this, and everything else is running pefectly.

If it was not for the fact that it contains daily data going back 2 years I would trash it and recreate the file.

Anyone got any suggestions.

Running the new Macbook with the 2GHz intelcore 2 Duo and 2GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM

halledise
19th May 2007, 05:16 PM
try = file / save as and create a clone.
then try to open him again or else see if you can open in Excel.

another possibility is to close AWorks, delete your AW pref file (user/library/preferences/com.apple.appleworks.plist then restart AWorks and try again.

gimme some time & I'll think on it ....................

soulman
19th May 2007, 06:34 PM
AppleWorks does corrupt files from time to time. There is some discussion about it on the Apple Support site. I can't remember the exact details. You might want to check that out.

You may have to save it as comma delimited text from AW on the iBook and reimport it into AW on the new machine.

nortonjg
19th May 2007, 07:36 PM
this might help not sure though http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14132/appleworks-file-repair-utility

silverdreamer
20th May 2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks for these tips guys, it's midnight now so I will try your suggestions tomorrow, that file repair software looks interesting.
Cheers.

silverdreamer
20th May 2007, 11:37 PM
Hi People, tried the clone idea, didn;t work, crashed as per original.

The epair utility doesnt seem to work, drag the file onto it ad nothing happens, cant get a drop down menu or any other result other than the utility icon in the dock and the utility name in the menu bar.

will try the save onthe old machine option tomorrow, see if that works.
any other ideas , feel free to "Sling em at me!"

silverdreamer
20th May 2007, 11:38 PM
PS

Trashed excel and the entire office suite the day I took delivery of my Macbook.

silverdreamer
23rd May 2007, 11:07 AM
Hi Guys, thanks for the suggestion, but to no avail, Spreadsheet does the same on the old machine now so I don't know what I have done.

Any suggestions for recreating the file without spending hours n hours a the desk on data entry, any shortcuts.?

H E L p..........

Mikey
25th May 2007, 12:29 AM
At the risk of being a bit simplistic, can you copy each page onto a page of a new spreadsheet? ie start again and try to replicate the spreadsheet data.

Or try to export the data into an OpenOffice spreadsheet (save as .xls and open in NeoOffice?) as a way of getting around the corrupted file. Is there much data? Is manually replicating the code cell by cell, page by page do-able, or am I just being silly?

scottgrot
25th May 2007, 12:55 AM
Have you tried repairing permissions on the new macbook?

silverdreamer
25th May 2007, 12:43 PM
Hi Mickey, thanks for that, I guess re-doing it is the only way, just dont want to have to.....
If you read my earlier comments re Office and Xl you will see that is not an option.

And ...Scott grott....and the risk of sounding terribly dumb!..... how do I do that?

soulman
25th May 2007, 12:51 PM
..I guess re-doing it is the only way...Did you try saving it as tab/return delimited text, as per my earlier suggestion? You will lose all your formatting but it beats having to re-input data by hand. If you open the text file as a spreadsheet AppleWorks will understand the tabs & returns as cells & rows.

BTW, repairing permissions will not help. This has nothing to do with permissions.

silverdreamer
27th May 2007, 11:04 AM
Okay, seems the problem has fixed itself.

Copied and pasted the entire data ino a new spreadsheet all at once, (Call me dumb, but I did not think that would work), and now for some reason not only do I have the new spreadsheet, but the original is now working fine, and not crashing when I add and save data. Who would have thought.

Always suspected He was on a Mac!...( Him up there, I mean,... Hewie!.... the big fella!)

Makes sense eH? ... explains all the PC viruses,,,,LOL

halledise
3rd June 2007, 06:40 PM
Okay, seems the problem has fixed itself.

Copied and pasted the entire data ino a new spreadsheet all at once, (Call me dumb, but I did not think that would work), and now for some reason not only do I have the new spreadsheet, but the original is now working fine, and not crashing when I add and save data. Who would have thought.

Always suspected He was on a Mac!...( Him up there, I mean,... Hewie!.... the big fella!)

Makes sense eH? ... explains all the PC viruses,,,,LOL

His name's not 'Hewie' - and it's cricket in the summer, rugby (the real kind) in the summer 'up there';
furthermore there will be no pc's there as we are promised no more tears and also 'outside are the dogs and sorcerers and ... everyone who loves and practices falsehood'
;)