PDA

View Full Version : Shutting MB Pro Lid = Disconnection from Wireless

tania2412
19th May 2007, 12:23 PM
This only just happened recently and I haven't changed any settings, only downloaded and installed the default mac osx updates...does anyone have any ideas how to keep the wireless connected?

decryption
19th May 2007, 12:28 PM
When the lid is closed, by default the laptop goes to sleep. If you keep the wireless connection, the laptop will use power for the wireless card to keep the connection, defeating the purpose of sleeping.

However, when you open the lid, it should automagically connect to the access point again if you've kept the WPA password in the keychain and set the default access point in the AirPort preference pane.

themacuser
19th May 2007, 12:29 PM
The wireless disconnects because the computer actually goes into sleep mode with the lid shut.

You wouldn't really want to run the thing with the lid shut anyway, IMO, it'd get rather hot.

thorevenge
19th May 2007, 02:01 PM
Just to make sure, you mean closing the lid to sleep it, not closing the lid to use it in clamshell mode correct?

Brains
19th May 2007, 03:02 PM
does anyone have any ideas how to keep the wireless connected?

Short of using the aforementioned 'clamshell mode', no.

Clamshell mode requires that your MacBook be connected to the mains power, and you can find the precise how-to here on Apple's site (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286). Once you have put the MacBook to sleep in clamshell mode and woken it again, as long as you do not remove the power you can open and close the lid as much as you like; when it is closed, the screen electronics switch off, the rest of the machine still chatters along merrily.

Brains

tania2412
20th May 2007, 01:37 PM
I haven't changed any of the default settings so whatever closing the lid normally does. Somehow it had forgotten the WPA key and once I gave it that and saved it in the keychain again it's picking up the signal again normally.

Thanks for your help :)