PDA

View Full Version : Networking Question

stefanlod
19th May 2007, 11:02 AM
My friend decided to set up an ethernet network with four computers: three Macs (all OS X), one PC running XP Home.

The configuration is such that the cable modem is connected to the hub, and the hub connects to the rest of the computers. For about three days everything worked fine; all the computers could connect to the Internet.

But then, one of the Macs couldn't connect for some reason, although the other ones still can. Why would this be, and what could be done to fix it (temporarily before he gets a router or something, and if so, what router should he get?)

darksplat
19th May 2007, 11:20 AM
first of all check the cables sometime the cables stretch and lose connection then go to sys prefs and then networking and make sure dhcp is the choice for connections then finally go toport config and drag ethernet tothe top close sys prefs restart if you want and let us know
cheers
darksplat

Linux_insidev2
19th May 2007, 11:36 AM
make sure a valid IP Address has been assigned, if you go into the network preferences > built-in ethernet and then tcp/ip look for IP Address and make sure it doesn't start with 169

jubilantjeremy
19th May 2007, 11:44 AM
on a working machine, go to terminal and type 'ifconfig'.
now do the same on the non-working machine and compare.

- Jeremy

stefanlod
19th May 2007, 11:54 AM
Okay I changed the IP address so it didn't start with 196, so now in Network Diagnostics, the first two bulbs go green, but the rest stay red.

Linux_insidev2
19th May 2007, 12:20 PM
Okay I changed the IP address so it didn't start with 196, so now in Network Diagnostics, the first two bulbs go green, but the rest stay red.

You don't want to manually enter an address, you want automatic assignment or DHCP.

If it had a 169 address there reboot the router, change it back to automatic config and try again.

jubilantjeremy
19th May 2007, 02:38 PM
196?

most consumer stuff uses 192.168.x.x (anyone know why?) - but yeah, it should be set to DHCP. Make sure pppoe is un-enabled, and clear the DNS or gateway IPs, if there are any in there.

purana
19th May 2007, 02:54 PM
196?

most consumer stuff uses 192.168.x.x (anyone know why?)

Yes cause its a private address range... see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network) for more info why.