PDA

View Full Version : Turret Wars 1.2 Released!

Seon
18th May 2007, 06:09 PM
I am pleased to announce that (Sector3) we have released a fantastic 1.2 update to our first Indie game title, Turret Wars!

http://games.sector3.com.au

What's new in Turret Wars 1.2?
* 2 fantastic new environments (Now 6)
* Armour power-up bunkers
* Mega Blast power-up bunkers
* Communications tower bonus points bunker
* Overhead bomber runs that drops bombs on the playing field
* Revised and expanded scoring system
* Improved visuals and effects
* Redesigned interfaces
* Enhanced highscores ladder

Turret Wars 1.2 has also been re-priced based on a new licensing scheme that all of our future games will adopt. We will now be releasing our games with the following licenses and prices.

AUD$9.95 - Single license, single platform.

AUS$19.95 - Family Pack (3 licenses), mixed platform.

Those that already own a 1.0 license have been sent an email letting them know about the update and what extras they get due to the new pricing/licensing structure.

Have a great weekend everyone!

forgie
18th May 2007, 06:16 PM
I got the email (since I downloaded 1.0). It's usually good practice to have an "unsubscribe" link in batch emails like that. Also, this (http://games.sector3.com.au/newslink.aspx?id=1&n=2d542670-09ba-4031-b8b3-c89143c62ecc) link in the email was broken.

Seon
18th May 2007, 06:19 PM
Hmm, there should have been an unsbscribe link at the bottom. There are in my test emails.. and all the links work in my test email too! Thanks for the feedback, I will look into it!

forgie
18th May 2007, 06:32 PM
Here (http://www.ecr.unimelb.edu.au/%7Ensforge/turret_wars_email.png) is a link to what my email looked like.

purana
18th May 2007, 07:54 PM
Awesome, will have to check it out. Also the price for a single license looks very reasonable :) infact awesome price point if I do say so myself.

chrisede
18th May 2007, 09:07 PM
Huzzah! Now to try and top my current top score...
And yep, I can confirm the bit about having no unsubscribe link (which I don't want :p) and the top link being broken.

tintinaujapon
18th May 2007, 09:20 PM
Fame is fleeting...

Seon
18th May 2007, 09:28 PM
Haha... do I hear a MacTalk challenge?

chrisede
18th May 2007, 09:41 PM
Hey Seon, trying to download the new version.. without much luck :(

My internet got shaped because of my "free legal linux iso torrents", which blows... but I'm coping. But the downloads get stuck at 29.5MB or 90%. I think this time it's working, but we'll see.

One question. On the website, you can download only 3 times, as per the licence you've got. In the next version, or some version later one, can we get it to identify with hardware and have unlimited downloads?

Seon
18th May 2007, 09:48 PM
Hey Seon, trying to download the new version.. without much luck :(

My internet got shaped because of my "free legal linux iso torrents", which blows... but I'm coping. But the downloads get stuck at 29.5MB or 90%. I think this time it's working, but we'll see.

One question. On the website, you can download only 3 times, as per the licence you've got. In the next version, or some version later one, can we get it to identify with hardware and have unlimited downloads?

Hey Chris.. bummer about the shaping :(

I have increased your downloads now for you to 6 in case you have more trouble downloading. We dont really want to offer unlimited downloads as there are those that abuse scerios like that. Buy teh app, and pass on then post the download details to a warez site.

We are always happy to look after our customers though, so we are happy to increase the download quoter at any time!

Have fun playng 1.2... it's a blast!

chrisede
18th May 2007, 09:55 PM
Oh thanks Seon!

As to the unlimited downloads.... I was suggesting more along the lines that when you validate it on your computer with email & password, it sends your basic specs to the server. And the same thing for the next 2 validations. Then with the rest of the downloads, if the specs don't match any of the server's database, you can't activate.

Although I suppose with Macs having a bit of a limited hardware configuration (sorry Jobs!), it could be abused.

Anyway, thanks for upping my limit for me! :D

entropy
18th May 2007, 10:02 PM
Why do I have a faint suspicion that once you hit the top score, the game suddenly gets radically harder......

Seon
18th May 2007, 10:13 PM
Why do I have a faint suspicion that once you hit the top score, the game suddenly gets radically harder......

You were on the top there for a few mins! I think you will find will all the new bonus points you can get now from the bunkers, bomber and comms dish, plus each turrets special abilities... the top spots on the highscores ladder are going to be a very temporary place to live!

Dont forget too, anyone can view the high scores ladder on our website http://games.sector3.com.au/turret_scores.aspx and you can also filter the ladder by turret type, environment and difficulty!

entropy
18th May 2007, 10:18 PM
heh, I am sure it will be my one and only time once some real gamers give it a go! At least it was good for me.....

chrisede
18th May 2007, 11:35 PM
I don't know where to do this, so I guess this thread is as good as any.
Firstly thanks to Seon for helping me get the new version downloaded.

I totally love the new changes, makes the game so much harder/interesting. But after the first game, everything goes at 2x speed. Seconds count down faster, projectile fly faster, everything is faster.

Obviously this isn't supposed to happen. I installed the new version by copying straight over the old one. Then tried removing everything, and going fresh. Same issue.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this, or something I can do to give you some more info on the problem?

Seon
18th May 2007, 11:42 PM
The game should only speed up if you are dead... but still watching the game finsih out.

I have never seen the speed up carry in to the next game. (And I have played it alot in th elast few days!)

I will look at it tomorrow and try to re-produce. We have had over 50 scores go in in the last few hours and I havnt heard anything like this from anyone else... But you could be special Chris!

Can you PM me any steps you followed before it happened?

chrisede
18th May 2007, 11:46 PM
I'm not sure what's going on. No steps, just overwrote the original app, and played.
I did just restart the computer though... because I could. Suddenly it's fixed.

I give up... it works. Now I'M going to bed. Maybe you should to :p

Seon
19th May 2007, 08:59 AM
Chris, we have had someone else report the same thing. I cant re-produce it here, but either way, we will take a look at it on Monday and find and squash the bug. I will let everyone know when a maintenance build is ready.

In the meantime.. anyone here tried to shoot the bomber yet? It's so much fun. Play the SpaceMen so you can selfdestruct the projectile if you miss, an ry to shoot the bomber! way cool!

entropy
19th May 2007, 07:20 PM
yes, that's what I meant when I said the game got suddenly harder. So it happened to me too. I just thought that because I had just hit the top score, I thought it was a feature, not a bug :)

quitting and restart seemed to fix it, but it happened later on too. I also got a timed out message and the game stopped.

Seon
19th May 2007, 07:53 PM
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Seems we have a little bug to track down Monday morning.
Still can't reproduce it here though.... would be easy to fix if I could! Grrr

Seon
19th May 2007, 11:29 PM
Ok, the speedup bug has been found and trackable. Will get this fixed Monday and get a new release out during the week. Thanks again to all that helped track this bug down. :-)