PDA

View Full Version : Ram for 12" Powerbook.

dingl
14th January 2005, 06:52 PM
Hi, i just got my 12" Powerbook with superdrive and like to max out the ram. I found this on on the net for a good price. http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index.php?re..._info.php?input (http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index.php?redir=http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?input)[product_code]=AL-VS1GSDS400&input[category_id]=
Will it work on my new PB?
Thanks

edit: link isn;t working properly but the name is "CORSAIR 1024MB PC3200 DDR400 SODIM MEMORY"

Byrd
14th January 2005, 07:13 PM
Hi dingl,

It should be fine, but it's a bit of an overkill as you don't need DDR400 RAM with aggressive timings, such as this Corsair memory you've found. Just a CAS2 DDR333 stick will do the trick. In other words, if you can find a cheaper stick with those timings, you'll be all set, as the Corsair RAM won't be any faster than cheaper stuff :)

JB

dingl
14th January 2005, 07:58 PM
Well the Corsair stick is like under $380 inc delivery and a lot of people are recommending them due to their good and reliable brand name. If it will work without any glitches then ill order it tomorrow.

dingl
15th January 2005, 12:00 AM
the cheapest 1gig stick from a mac online store is $445 @ www.epowermac.com.au

should i spend the extra knowing that it will work 100% with good performance and reliability?

hawker
15th January 2005, 12:18 AM
I recommend you find a local store to buy it from. Although it has a "lifetime warranty" hopefully, getting it online or interstate can be a pain. The problem with interstate is, although they tell you things like, any problems just send it back, what they forget to tell you is, ten to one you pay for it to be sent back and sometimes you even pay for the replacment postage. it can be a joke.

For that reason, i recommend buying locally as possible.

I have delt with Sony, Mitsublishi etc. on this, the only store that payed for postage down and back was Apple when I got my 40GB iPod Lemon replaced with my new 60GB iPod Photo!

helloroto
15th January 2005, 12:35 AM
Hey Dingle

I would go with Amicroe they have a lifetime warranty!! and they are pretty reliable and usually the local applecentre will have it next day!

Thx
BJ

hawker
15th January 2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by rotogrip_rocks_707@Jan 15 2005, 12:35 AM
I would go with Amicroe they have a lifetime warranty!!
that was the brand I was trying to think of to recommend. Yeah, they are awesome, got lots of ram off them. Had a 512MB stick for my iMac come in, was DOA, took it back to Apple reseller, they full on apoligised, said they would get one in - in two working days (the freight to darwin is crap, overnight is generally four days) and they gave me a 256 MB stick they had in stock to tie me over as I needed to do video editing and FCP HD wouldn't boot with 256MB....

No I didn't get to keep the 256MB stick :P and my Ram was in in about three working days, pretty good for Darwin :P

helloroto
15th January 2005, 12:47 AM
Had a 512MB stick for my iMac come in, was DOA, took it back to Apple reseller, they full on apoligised, said they would get one in - in two working days (the freight to darwin is crap, overnight is generally four days) and they gave me a 256 MB stick they had in stock

Yeah Our Only local AppleCentre are good to us darwin peoples but Apple are being real bitches and not sending in my panther disk although i paid for them in NOVEMBER!!! argh!!! Not our applecentre fault Apple Aust. just not caring bout the little cities!!!

Thx
BJ

epowermac
15th January 2005, 05:34 AM
Hi Dingl
A word of warning here. The 12" Powerbook has a different ram seat, than the 15" and 17" Powerbooks. What happens is, if you dont get the right chipset, a resister on the memory module actually touches the bottom of the metal bracket.

Not a good situation. Have learnt this from first hand experience .
http://www.epowermac.com.au/images/empty_powerbook.jpg

Robert Zatta
www.epowermac.com.au

hawker
15th January 2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by epowermac@Jan 15 2005, 05:34 AM
Hi Dingl
A word of warning here. The 12" Powerbook has a different ram seat, than the 15" and 17" Powerbooks. What happens is, if you dont get the right chipset, a resister on the memory module actually touches the bottom of the metal bracket.
Thanks Robert,

That is handy to know!

Mine does not seem to be causing problems, but do u think its worth opening it up and checking?

trinidad
1st February 2005, 03:22 AM
Quick question.

What happens when you put in ibook ram, which i think is PC2100 into a Powerbook 12"? Especially the new ones that just came out. Are there any negative side effects?