PDA

View Full Version : Crate men invade Melbourne again

Bart Smastard
17th May 2007, 02:39 PM
Some clever art types have rigged up milk crates in the form of men on buildings in Melbourne. This latest lot (put up on Tuesday, I believe) is near Victoria Park station.

I love it! Much cleverer than stupid tags - I don't care who you are and that you have hours of spare time to scribble on walls (I don't mind some graffiti; the stuff with pictures of aliens or little monsters and such are cool).

http://http://www.woostercollective.com/2007/05/15/cratemanr3.jpgThe guys responsible did a similar stunt last March (http://www.woostercollective.com/2006/03/crate_art_in_melbourne.html).

hawker
17th May 2007, 02:42 PM
That's some cool urban art.

uncyherb
17th May 2007, 02:52 PM
That is the best urban art I've seen in quiet a while!

I love the fact that if you are traveling on a train in to Melbourne you'd see a 4-frame movie of the crate man climbing the wall, and then celebrating his achievement!

decryption
17th May 2007, 02:52 PM
Yessssss, there's one crate guy in Richmond/South Yarra you can view from Richmond Station. It is sweet :D

Bart Smastard
17th May 2007, 03:05 PM
Yessssss, there's one crate guy in Richmond/South Yarra you can view from Richmond Station. It is sweet :D

Do you mean this guy?

decryption
17th May 2007, 03:06 PM
Yep, that's him! He has lightened up many train trips into the city :)

Does anyone know the background story to these?

spargo
17th May 2007, 03:15 PM
hey guy, can you get a photo for me.. i love this stuff. it's great inspiration for urban planners to see what excites the public.

thanks fella.

spargo
17th May 2007, 03:16 PM

ahh, so same one. oh well.

Bart Smastard
17th May 2007, 03:31 PM

There's a story in The Age today (page 6). I can't find it on the web site (The Age is crap for navigating around) but here's the text from the story (typed by my own flashy fingers).

"It's illegal and dangerous but, according to one member of an anonymous art-making group, it's designed to "give commuters a giggle". On Tuesday between 2:30 and 4:30am, eight mates scaled a factory wall next to Victoria Park railway station to create Lego-like "Crateman". Using rock-climbing and architectural skills, the group used pulley's, brackets and weights to orchestrate the street sculpture. Each 5-metre-high Crateman is made from about 40 (stolen) milk crates and took three months to design. It's the third time Cratemen have appeared in Melbourne, having been seen before in Richmond and Ascot Vale. "We'll be happy if it lasts the week," a group member said of the Crateman's lifespan."

Also check the link in the OP.

kim jong il
17th May 2007, 04:18 PM
I think it would be a tragedy removing it. I love it. :)

spargo
17th May 2007, 05:57 PM
it's made it to the intranet of my company. we love it! :D

nicwithsticks
17th May 2007, 06:47 PM
I reckon it looks great. Shame it wasn't there when I had to use Victoria Park to get too and from work - it would have made going there a bit more entertaining

Jaffa
17th May 2007, 06:54 PM
WOW! This is amazing! If only we had some crate men here in Newcastle, it would make Newcastle so much cooler! :P You Melbournians are lucky fellas :)

forgie
17th May 2007, 06:56 PM
I think it would be a tragedy removing it. I love it. :)
:thumbup:

It is, by virtually any definition of the word, art. And I like it!

vargz
17th May 2007, 06:58 PM
Very Lego :)

BigAD
17th May 2007, 07:05 PM
Here's some more. I believe this one only lasted a couple of days before it was taken down.

mechcon
17th May 2007, 07:40 PM
that is the one thing I love about Melbourne, shit like that happens!

Peter Wells
17th May 2007, 08:09 PM
yeah, on monday morning when our train pulled into victoria street, the entire carriage of zombies (myself included) noticed them and started point them out, smiling, and a few people started chatting with each other about it. that qualifies as art to me.